What tyres do you use?

JackDM

Hi folks,

I recently got new tyres for the bike however, they are Dunlops, they are literally the last choice of tyre I’d use but were the only thing I could afford.

I’ve had Dunlops on the car and they were absolute crap in the dry let alone in the wet.

So I tried to rationalise it and thought:

“maybe their motorcycle tyres aren’t as bad as their car tyres?”

I was wrong. . .

As I was exiting my second out of ten roundabouts home, I was literally at walking pace, straightened up, easing the accelerator on (I couldn’t possibly accelerate any slower), then away goes the back wheel!

So folks, what tyres do you use and how are they for riding at this time of year?

Has anyone had a similiar experience with Dunlops or other brand?

I find their rubber compound to be far too hard.

How many miles had you done on the new tyres when this happened?

Have you run them long enough to scrub the release agent off?

Might be worth checking the date code on the tyre,could be new to you but sat around for a while?

Assume pressures and wheel alignment ok?

I run Michelin pilot power on the R1,fine for my riding style.

However don't use it in the cold weather

How many miles had you done on the new tyres when this happened?

Have you run them long enough to scrub the release agent off?

Might be worth checking the date code on the tyre,could be new to you but sat around for a while?

Assume pressures and wheel alignment ok?

I run Michelin pilot power on the R1,fine for my riding style.

However don't use it in the cold weather

I had only just picked the bike up with the brand new tyres fitted, so the pressures and alignment were ok however, being new tyres - they always seem to have that shine to them like polished rubber which I was aware of however, when I push my finger into the rubber, there is no give whatsoever. I can push the rubber on my car tyres when it’s -1 and they’re still soft you know?

I’ve had Michelins before and they’ve been good although never used them in the winter.

Oh no :shock: not another tyre thread

Why? You "tyred" of it already? :D

Tread carefully [mention]Speedy23[/mention]

Mods need to move these comments to the jokes section along with the trees :wink:

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my GSX600F. Excellent tyres. Gripp well in the dry, predictable in the wet. Last well. Will easily get over 10K out of them. Not tried the newer Pilot Road 3 or 4, but lots of good comments about them. Michelins are original equipment on my bike.

Previously it had a Bridgestone Battlax on the front. Good grip but wear rate was terrible, I don't ride hard but the sides were down to limit after on;y 5k. Others have complained that Bridgestones last well but dont grip - seems to depend on which model of tyre.

They don't call them dunlop ditch finders for nothing!

I have never been a fan of dunlops myself they have always felt a bit wooden!

If they where new and just fitted then you will need to give them time to scrub in too especially in this weather

What tyre model did you go for?

As for tyre recommendations that would depend on the type of riding you are likely to be doing and what you wan't out of a tyre although saying that I saw a article a few years ago where a racer was testing tyres and claimed that the majority of road riders need nothing more than a sports touring tyre

On the 125 I had Michelin City Pros, because they were the only tubeless tyres to fit its weird rear wheel other than the dangerous CST ones that Yamaha use to try and kill off their customers.

New bike came with PR4s, not tried them in the wet yet but have given me no reason to doubt them dry. So unless they have a nasty surprise, I guess I am a Michelin person.

They don't call them dunlop ditch finders for nothing!

I have never been a fan of dunlops myself they have always felt a bit wooden!

If they where new and just fitted then you will need to give them time to scrub in too especially in this weather

What tyre model did you go for?

As for tyre recommendations that would depend on the type of riding you are likely to be doing and what you wan't out of a tyre although saying that I saw a article a few years ago where a racer was testing tyres and claimed that the majority of road riders need nothing more than a sports touring tyre

I went for Dunlop Sportmax, cheapest but only ones I could afford otherwise I’d have went for Metzelers personally.

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my GSX600F. Excellent tyres. Gripp well in the dry, predictable in the wet. Last well. Will easily get over 10K out of them. Not tried the newer Pilot Road 3 or 4, but lots of good comments about them. Michelins are original equipment on my bike.

Previously it had a Bridgestone Battlax on the front. Good grip but wear rate was terrible, I don't ride hard but the sides were down to limit after on;y 5k. Others have complained that Bridgestones last well but dont grip - seems to depend on which model of tyre.

To be honest, I’m not fussed whatsoever on the wear rate of a tyre as long as it’s the stickiest rubber ever, I value stickiness over wear rate any day.

I have never used Michelins before, even on the car and I hear nothing but good reviews for them - defo considering buying some alloys and saving up for michelins purely so I can feel safer riding at the start of next year.

To be honest, I’m not fussed whatsoever on the wear rate of a tyre as long as it’s the stickiest rubber ever, I value stickiness over wear rate any day.

It's not all about the stickiest tyre though!

Sticky tyres need heat and that is not always possible on the road and in cold weather conditions you have no chance at all and they are awful!

What type of riding are you doing? Blasting around the countryside or commuting to and from work? Are you using all the tyre and right to the limit?

Sticky tyres need heat and that is not always possible on the road and in cold weather conditions you have no chance at all and they are awful!

What type of riding are you doing? Blasting around the countryside or commuting to and from work? Are you using all the tyre and right to the limit?

I’m just commuting - I don’t ride very hard, upright most of the time.

I’m just commuting - I don’t ride very hard, upright most of the time.

Then I would stick to what you have till it's worn out then think about something like the pilot road 4's or now the new road 5's

I use the road 4's and they are a good tyre great in the wet and can be pushed hard if need be

Most of my riding is right up these days and about 50% of my riding fully loaded with luggage too and manage about 9k out of the road 4's

They are really good when I want to turn up the tap a bit too when out on my own with the lads!!

I have gone through 3 sets and had one slide on them and that was only due to some wet overbanding which is pretty normal

I fitted Michelin PR3's a couple of months ago in prepartion for the winter. Previously i had Bridgestone Battlaxs which were coming to the end of their life. I commute all year round so wanted something that will perform in dry and wet situations. Not qualms so far.

Hi, I tend to use Avon, the Storm 2 or now the Storm 3d, very hard wearing and plenty of grip in wet and dry, and most time's you can get them cheap, just brought these from M&P @ £139.00 a set,

so brought a few for next year :D . Even if i have only just put a set on main VFR 200 miles ago. Got 12000miles out of last front on VFR, about 9000 out of rear, mind you VFR alway's loaded and 2 up.

SAM_1170.thumb.JPG.52d6b27c851e8fe83003af8193bbb860.JPG