A way to avoid Motorways

Kevin

Hi guys. Currently I am holding my CBT and don’t have my full license and I do know that I am not allowed on motorways but I am interested to take a long trip from London to Brighton and have fun a little bit. Is there any app that I can install on my phone for navigation that i can avoid motorways?

How to get from London to Brighton avoiding motorways: head south and stop before entering the sea.

If you want fun you are better off creating your own route or using an app which creates dedicated motorcycle routes, as those will favour local roads over motorways.

If you just say to avoid motorways it will still go for the fastest route so, depending precisely where you are coming from, will usually direct you to Crawley to join the A23 south to Brighton. Which is a motorway in all but name and legal restrictions. Fast and useful, but not a route if you want a fun ride.

But if you just want to get there you can easily avoid the M23 by just not turning off the A23 onto it. Although I find the A217 a better way to Crawley, whilst Google seems to prefer to come off the A23 at Purley for the A22, B2028, A264, then through Crawley back onto the A23.

For the most fun though you want to enter Brighton either via Saddlescombe Road and Devil's Dyke Road or via Ditchling Road. A slight detour but both can be accessed from the A273 Hassocks exit on the A23, which is the penultimate one before it turns into a local road in Brighton.

Agree with comments re quickest... But did you know on google maps on computer you can drag the route around and see how much longer it would take almost instantly....

I find this helps with decided routes and stops....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MrV3qAatZ8j5whwtkmFrASENce8&usp=sharing

Agree with comments re quickest... But did you know on google maps on computer you can drag the route around and see how much longer it would take almost instantly....

I find this helps with decided routes and stops....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MrV3qAatZ8j5whwtkmFrASENce8&usp=sharing

You can also place upto ten waypoints on google maps on app ... its knowing where you want to go prior that can be an issue .

20171226_203908.thumb.png.2f1a7c54f729cfee5b6cba59c538b8bd.png

20171226_204002.thumb.png.81be10698818cdba39f7e61585789207.png

You can also place upto ten waypoints on google maps on app ... its knowing where you want to go prior that can be an issue .

You can browse the map and pick a stop from a map rather than actually having to know the location

The only downfall is that it doesn't show the current route while doing this

I have switched to TomTom (Paid app) for pre planned routes as Google has habit of rerouting if you go of track and messing up all my pre planned roads...

Google is great for A2B as fast as possible but like them all (tomtom not perfect) they all have there foibles... Shame TomTom doesn't have multi screen option I would run both! If you want to try that give one different voice to the other so you know which one to listen (I often run with one in back ground one on screen). Just be careful my present choice is an INdian lady on tomtom, you set the route in cafe and this voice booms out "you will arrive at your destination at..>" with strong indian accent you get some looks....

I use google assistant to control phone from headset... Latest update means Assistant stays open if it gets no command, ie in dodgy phone area. Not always helpful it used to need less manual input on road...