Flat?

mole81

I've got a 12v battery in my gs500 and it's run totally flat over winter. I've borrowed a charger that does 6v and 12v and have been told to charge at 6v, its been on for four hours and not moved. Should I be using 12v setting?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Amperage does matter and so does volts too

Is it a car battery charger?

Not entirely sure, just says battery charger and has a 6v and 12v switch? 92037a4eb85e76b4fde7f933d637f730.jpg

This is the battery 0558f69838a462e323a999b68d939fec.jpg

Switch to 12 volts and low

Check the electrolyte in the battery it doesn't look as though it has any and it looks black to the right!

What's electrolyte?!

Fluid in the battery. Needs to be topped up with distilled water to cover the metal grid inside, between the min line and the max line on the battery. But if it was left to go flat for any length of time then its probably toast anyway.

Switch to 12 volts and low

Check the electrolyte in the battery it doesn't look as though it has any and it looks black to the right!

What's electrolyte?!

Fluid in the battery. Needs to be topped up with distilled water to cover the metal grid inside, between the min line and the max line on the battery. But if it was left to go flat for any length of time then its probably toast anyway.

Ahh I've very never done that! If there is fluid, how long should it take to charge?

... how long should it take to charge?

10 hours or so. If it hasn't shown any signs of life after that get a new battery.

OK thanks, can I get a replacement that doesn't need water etc? It's a real pain to get the screw through the terminals too will any replacement be the same way to attach?

... how long should it take to charge?

10 hours or so. If it hasn't shown any signs of life after that get a new battery.

OK thanks, can I get a replacement that doesn't need water etc? It's a real pain to get the screw through the terminals too will any replacement be the same way to attach?

Yeah they all screw on. I normally find it's restraining straps that are more of a pig.

Most batteries you buy new for a bike require you to put liquid in them (but they normally supply it in the box) from experience. It's not rocket science fortunately.

From the photo I suspect that battery is now only fit for use as a paperweight. If left totally discharged for a longish period it usually kills them.

Any deeply discharged battery will cause issues if connected to a standard car charger. The charger will usually indicate no charge input because the battery voltage is too low. What usually works is to charge at a very low amperage (but the right voltage) to bring the battery voltage back. Remember that most 12v batteries are really 6 two volt cells joined in sequence - one cell will always go flat before the others then draw charge from the others in reverse polarity. That's what kills the battery.

I get loads of car batteries from old folks who don't drive all winter then come spring are told they need a new battery. I put a 400Ma 12v gel cell charger on the battery for a few hours, once the voltage is back towards 12v bung it on the normal charger, and most of the time you can save the battery.

You can buy maintenance chargers for batteries (I've got a couple for classic cars) but a cheap low amp gel cell charger works just as well and can be left connected for long periods. The output is so small - ie under 500Ma - that the battery won't ever be overcooked by it. For bike batteries I usually do long term maintenance with a gell cell charger on a timer - give it an hour a day and they come through the winter in top condition.

From the photo I suspect that battery is now only fit for use as a paperweight. If left totally discharged for a longish period it usually kills them.

Any deeply discharged battery will cause issues if connected to a standard car charger. The charger will usually indicate no charge input because the battery voltage is too low. What usually works is to charge at a very low amperage (but the right voltage) to bring the battery voltage back. Remember that most 12v batteries are really 6 two volt cells joined in sequence - one cell will always go flat before the others then draw charge from the others in reverse polarity. That's what kills the battery.

I get loads of car batteries from old folks who don't drive all winter then come spring are told they need a new battery. I put a 400Ma 12v gel cell charger on the battery for a few hours, once the voltage is back towards 12v bung it on the normal charger, and most of the time you can save the battery.

You can buy maintenance chargers for batteries (I've got a couple for classic cars) but a cheap low amp gel cell charger works just as well and can be left connected for long periods. The output is so small - ie under 500Ma - that the battery won't ever be overcooked by it. For bike batteries I usually do long term maintenance with a gell cell charger on a timer - give it an hour a day and they come through the winter in top condition.

Thanks for that response. Would I of been as well to start it for a little while once a month over winter?

Remember that most 12v batteries are really 6 two volt cells joined in sequence - one cell will always go flat before the others then draw charge from the others in reverse polarity. That's what kills the battery.

Lead acid batteries are made up of 2.1 volt cells, ie 12 v lead acid battery has 6 cells. :wink:

Get yourself a battery conditioner such as Optimate or similar and leave it on there all the time. These battery conditioners charge and discharge the battery as though it is being used.
Will I have to take the seat off to connect every time

Remember that most 12v batteries are really 6 two volt cells joined in sequence - one cell will always go flat before the others then draw charge from the others in reverse polarity. That's what kills the battery.

Lead acid batteries are made up of 2.1 volt cells, ie 12 v lead acid battery has 6 cells. :wink:

Yes - isn't that what I said? Most 12v batteries are 6 two volt cells joined in sequence.

Get yourself a battery conditioner such as Optimate or similar and leave it on there all the time. These battery conditioners charge and discharge the battery as though it is being used.

No - they come with a lead you connect to the battery with a connector you cable tie to the frame somewhere accessible.

No - they come with a lead you connect to the battery with a connector you cable tie to the frame somewhere accessible.

Fab, sounds good!

Yes - isn't that what I said? Most 12v batteries are 6 two volt cells joined in sequence.

Really must learn to read. :roll: I read that as two 6v cells. my bad sorry. :oops:

Really must learn to read. :roll: I read that as two 6v cells. my bad sorry. :oops:

I read it as 2 6 volt cells as well. how strange

I also read it wrong :lol: