two finger braking

Fidgetgreen

HI,

Were any of you taught two finger braking when learning to ride? I wasn't (passed my DAS last year) but my Dad who passed 20+ years ago cant believe that i wasn't taught it.

I came off my bike last month due to a pedestrian stepping into the road and I wonder if I had been covering my brake with 2 fingers if i would have missed her?

Thanks,

Edited by Fidgetgreen

Wasn't taught it on das, was shown doing some off road training. In urban areas tend to cover brake and clutch with two fingers. You can pick it up easily yourself. Won't necessary save you from an off especially with suicidal pedestrians about.

Edited by goat

I was actively discouraged from it by instructors, but I do it now, you can see logic for full on braking, you have more strength in all your fingers, I wonder how many via used :D

:lol: these two :up:

The brakes on my 2005 Fazer 1000 are blue spots, the best I've ever had. Only ever need two fingers. The GSX1100 needs two hands, an anchor and a parachute.

When I did DAS, I was taught not to do two-finger braking. But I changed a few years ago, and now it's the way I brake always. The thing that persuaded me was the idea that to clench your fist is an instinctive reaction when you're suddenly frightened. So if you're used to braking with four fingers, and something happens that spooks you, you could grab a fistful of brake and come a cropper. Whereas you're less likely grab the brake like that if you use two fingers.

I don't know if it's true but it seemed quite possible, so I changed.

I don’t but it’s force of habit because of the way I was taught. I only cover the brake when it’s a precarious situation, like filtering and some wally is going to run between the stopped cars.

Basically most of the time I’m riding in the city centre or on motoways for the last minute lane changers.

thanks everyone, I'm going to do some more training when I'm back on my bike (currently have a broken foot due to the accident). I like the idea of covering the brake during filtering though so I might start that straight away.

When I did DAS, I was taught not to do two-finger braking. But I changed a few years ago, and now it's the way I brake always. The thing that persuaded me was the idea that to clench your fist is an instinctive reaction when you're suddenly frightened. So if you're used to braking with four fingers, and something happens that spooks you, you could grab a fistful of brake and come a cropper. Whereas you're less likely grab the brake like that if you use two fingers.

I don't know if it's true but it seemed quite possible, so I changed.

Funnily enough this is what my instructor thinks happened with me, tbh memory was sketchy over how it happened and spoke with him about it when he dropped my kit off. I though I just had an idiot moment and grabbed a handful from start but he said initial braking was fine and smooth but thinks when back wheel began to lift as it was unusual I just tensed and grabbed a handful then.

I naturally 2 finger braked pre das. Das said no 2 finger braking. Post das I now 2 finger brake agon - feels much safer being prepared (I rest my fingers on the lever).

Two finger braking allows you to blip the throttle 😁

I’ve noticed with the clutch assist on the Versys I don’t blip much anymore. Now again the habit shows itself. Blipping is also a good skill to learn. Saves locking that back wheel up.

The brakes are that good on the Versys at the minute that occasionally I find myself one finger braking which is impressive for a quarter tonne bike.

I do... One instructor told me not too, the other showed me how!

Mostly because if I'm on a hill with a horrible camber I can't put my left foot down because the drop is too far. Instead I'll hold the bike with the front brake, and with only two fingers holding the brake I can still twist the throttle to pull away.

I 2 finger brake. I also 2 finger clutch.

Part of the reason I switched to short levers was because I was operating the levers like that and I snapped my left little finger knukcle to knuckle as a kid and the lever hitting the regrown bone lump on that finger hurts. Short levers I don't get that issue.

Apparently I cover the brake with four fingers and control the throttle with my thumb and palm in situations where I want to be ready to brake quickly.

I found out as I tried some two finger breaking today. Did not like it, felt like I had no control of the brake and my other fingers were in the way.

Apparently I cover the brake with four fingers and control the throttle with my thumb and palm in situations where I want to be ready to brake quickly.

I found out as I tried some two finger breaking today. Did not like it, felt like I had no control of the brake and my other fingers were in the way.

Try it with your outside two fingers.

Are you from LV-426, by any chance?

Best to avoid anything involving my outside finger since landing the bike on it the the year. But after discovering that I was covering anyway with four fingers anyway I guess it does not matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tend to cover the brake with two fingers if I'm filtering, same as I'll have my foot near the rear brake just in case. Sometimes if it's in a built up area or there's heavy traffic I'll do the same but generally I'll just grip the throttle like normal. I prefer to plan ahead and have a good idea of all the hazards infront of me so I'm prepared to stop should I need to.