Ultra slow control on a big bike

Beans

I'd like to ask the collective for some advice on the major niggle I'm having with my riding, post DAS. I've gone from a 125 to a 1000cc bike. In very slow moving traffic, and I mean inching along, I'm having trouble getting my speed slow enough. Consequently I'm stopping and going, stopping and going.

I wonder if this is a result of a few things:

The bike will move with a closed throttle.

I'm not using the clutch fully, even though I think I am.

Motorbikes (big ones) don't like to roll along at 3mph.

Any thoughts?

:stupid:

Use revs, rear brake and clutch all the time with constant adjustments to achieve the speed you need.

So I think I am doing this :stupid: and I'm sure I could do it on the 125.

But there seems so much power now at none or virtually no throttle that I have to use loads of clutch to moderate it. But on the slightest decline too much clutch has the bike rolling due to its weight.

I guess I need to forget about throttle and balance clutch against rear brake. And get more accepting of coasting.

Yes on a decline do not be afraid of pulling the clutch in and just using the brake to control the speed.

I quite often pull the clutch in and just roll.

[mention]Beans[/mention] find a nice emptyish car park and just practice slow riding as in the Mod1.

And as Mike says make sure you always have revs on and if you need to brake hard pull the clutch.

It is hard to put in words how you actually ride in certain ways because eventually it will become second nature and you won't even think about what you are doing.

If the pace is becoming too slow then just stop for a short time and allow a gap to open then ride to close it.

Yeah, everything mentioned above. Practice in a big, empty space doing ~3mph in straight lines, full-lock turns and figure-8s.

Keep the revs consistent and slip the clutch to move forward, keep on the back brake gently for stability. Practice slowing and starting up again by either easing off the brake or the clutch, not at the same time - that's when things get wobbly.

Bit of practice you'l' be grand :thumb:

All of the above, plus try to stay relaxed - especially with your upper body. Gripping too tightly because you feel wobbly will make you more wobbly. And trust the bike - it can go a lot slower than you think and still stay upright. :thumb:

Some days I can come to a complete stop before putting my feet down.....Other days I've got my feet trailing at 5-10mpg to keep my balance......A lot depends on the road surface and camber too.

I find that keeping the rev's low and just holding the clutch on the biting point and feathering the rear brake works for me in slow traffic (when I can't filter)...... :wink:

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks.

To be clear I can ride slowly, u turns are my strong point but my problem is that inching along speed. I'm practicing. :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

I would suggest that a trip to your mechanic might help. Some bigger bikes can be a handful at very low speeds if there is a mechanical or setup problem such as carburettor imbalance.

I would have it checked over to make sure it is mechanically sweet and running well. The problem may not be with you.

This is now really getting to me. I was fine on the 125, fine on the z650 but the cbf1000 is getting dropped with alarming and expensive regularity. My u turns were artful prior to this bike. Now they end with bent pedals and levers. Stopping at junctions I've dropped the bloody thing twice, once in the middle of nowhere. As soon as all 250kg moves away from vertical at slow speed or during manual handling then its as good as fallen. Thank God for crash bungs. If I had any money I'd be looking at something smaller.

This is now really getting to me. I was fine on the 125, fine on the z650 but the cbf1000 is getting dropped with alarming and expensive regularity. My u turns were artful prior to this bike. Now they end with bent pedals and levers. Stopping at junctions I've dropped the bloody thing twice, once in the middle of nowhere. As soon as all 250kg moves away from vertical at slow speed or during manual handling then its as good as fallen. Thank God for crash bungs. If I had any money I'd be looking at something smaller.

You shouldn't let "250kg move away from vertical at slow speed" keep it super upright while u-turning and use the back brake to control your speed rather than the throttle, when doing very slow manoeuvres have the clutch half in and use the back brake. If you do it like this now, practice more.

PS I wonder if your clutch needs adjusting and the biting point is a bit aggressive?

Its likely totally over geared too making really slow riding a pain as the bike wants to go faster.

To pass the noise and emmisions tests they want the lowerst revs and least noise at 70mph so they over gear most bikes.

Said it before many times - first thing every bike needs is a -1 front sprocket.

The top heavy Versys 1000GT I find is easy to handle going slowly. I can pretty much balance stationary, which is kind of wrong because it should be hard. Maybe the very wide handle bars help.

I feel your pain, I too have issues with a 250kg bike but it got better for me when the clutch lever which had been incorrectly adjusted was adjusted correctly.

Remember this, the average weight of a male is 83 kg and your bike is 250 kg or the weight of 4 men. It is of no surprise it is a bit of a handful.

It will get better with experience.