Wtf moment

Grizzly

This is the second time in a row happening to me now, but had a complete melt down.

So the first time- I get geared up and ready to go out on Friday, but mentally couldn’t be bothered to get the bike out and go for a ride.

Today get the bike ready to go before gearing up and going out (have to move the car, get the bike out, move car back, and just before gearing up, I can’t face it.. so reveresed everything, move car , bike back, car back.. ifs the second time in a row I can’t bring myself to ride. I have only been out on a few green lanes local to me, and very limited back road riding experience.

I just feel like iv lost confidence in myself, nothing has happened, but I can’t comfortably touch the floor, feel the rear beak with boots on, and I’m crumbling at the thought of traffic lights, hill starts, junctions and bends- pretty much everything about riding that I’ll be having to do as soon as I pull onto a main road.

I passed my cbt a month or so ago, rode a handful of times but now I really can’t bring myself to.

Oh grizzly youre just having a moment. Everyone starting out has them.

Stand next to your machine as still as can be and take a moment to think why am I doing this?

The answer will motivate you to get on..... or off

The chance of freedom in the tiny life we have was enough for me.

Good luck. Im not religious but urr gods speed!

I think a lot of people have this (generally about lots of things) for me I have to mentally shout at myself to do it. Just yesterday I needed to go to Tesco and really had to kick myself out the house :lol:

I think maybe a plan would help, pick a destination not too far away on roads you know, avoiding difficult roundabout and junctions. If when you get home you're relived to get off then maybe biking just isn't for you which is fine. If you wish you'd taken the long way back then plan to go a bit further next time!

I used to fear getting the Ninja out because I rode it too fast and couldn't trust myself. It was like I had a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other :mrgreen:

My present bike is much more friendly to ride, I'm not scared of it, and love getting it out :thumb:

You need a friendlier bike :)

I Think I need to practice clutch control and getting my left leg down instead of my instinctive right when stopping.

I bought the bike for a bit of fun and to explore some green lanes, I have zero issue riding off road, it’s the being on the road and the manoeuvre aspect of things that’s stressing me.

It doesn’t help that I live in a busier village with very little in terms of private space to have a ‘play around’ and get used to the controls and feel of the bike.

I’m also trying to wear my mx/enduro boots and having very limited feeling when trying to be precise around people/ other vehicles is unsettling, but it’s something I need to keep trying I suppose and get used to if I want to green lane more.

I’m off work tomorrow so I may get her back out after tea/ go out tomorrow morning, Asda by me is very quiet on a Sunday ( no boy racers or nuisances) so may even attempt to go there and practice.

I Think I need to practice clutch control and getting my left leg down instead of my instinctive right when stopping.

Why? Right leg down is OK. If you get into using the left leg all the time, eventually the camber will catch you out. Any leg or both.

Why? Right leg down is OK. If you get into using the left leg all the time, eventually the camber will catch you out. Especially if you're a bit of a shortarse. Any leg or both.

Quote "but I can’t comfortably touch the floor"

Take the seat off and sit on the bike to see if it feels better being lower. Won't be very comfortable but will give you an idea of a lower bike.

Practice in your garage or wherever you park. Sit on the bike with one foot down and the other on the pegs, then swap over without dropping the bike!

Do that a few times until it's easy and second nature. Might find you have to have both feet on the pegs as you swap your bum position over but that's fine to balance for a second or two as you swap.

With boots on and a shuffle I can keep a foot on the peg and touch the floor, with a bent foot not flat. I can scoot and adjust my weight to either leg, what should I be doing on a hill start? Front brake as hand brake and release slow on bite?

I’m comfortable riding it, no issue whatsoever when moving- it’s the thought of stopping in traffic and moving again with the flow and not at my own pace if that makes sense?

I can only my get the balls of one foot down on some bikes. You don't need more, though you do need to be careful of camber and wind. If you're on a hill use the rest brake to hold it, trying to open the throttle whilst simulataneously releasing the front brake would be awkward.

With boots on and a shuffle I can keep a foot on the peg and touch the floor, with a bent foot not flat. I can scoot and adjust my weight to either leg, what should I be doing on a hill start? Front brake as hand brake and release slow on bite?

I’m comfortable riding it, no issue whatsoever when moving- it’s the thought of stopping in traffic and moving again with the flow and not at my own pace if that makes sense?

tbh, that bike sounds too high to be comfortable, for someone whose still gaining confidence on the road. On the DRZ, with a shuffle to the side, I can have one foot flat, or else get both feet down but tip toes only. And I wouldn't want to have learned like that - I would have been worried about ending in situations that would have been difficult to control.

Like has been said, try sitting on the bike without a seat and see if feels more secure. If so there might be ways of lowering the bike - either a shorter seat or by lowering hte suspension a tad - that would help you out.

After some comments about height- the bike can be lowered with a lowering link but I believe the front needs to be adjusted also, not sure what kind of impact that has on the steering geometry, this morning I have taken the seat off and given in a little bit of a trim removing around an inch/inch and half of foam, so much better now- and if it’s awful all I need to do is replace the foam to standard. Iv got to check the clutch today and the other controls to make sure there set up properly for my reach, and then fingers crossed I’ll be going out soon :)

Subconsciously it must of been the height playing in my head, with the trimmed seat I can almost flatfoot both feet :) just need to practice more but feels so much better :) :) just went up and down my street and onto a little bit of a back country road blast.

Shaking coming back, like an adrenaline dump, but going to do some house chores and go back out this afternoon for a ride to work and back to see how I fare, may take the bike to work this week then :)

Cheers all 🍺