Normal to be scared?

newbiker90

Hi all, I really do want to learn how to ride and start commuting by bike but at the same time I am kind of scared/worried about safety. Was anyone else like this when they first began riding? Also any commuters here, how you finding it? Esp winter months. Thanks.

Start by practicing on quiet roads, then as you get more experience you'll filter like a pro. Winter is ok if you have the right gear. You can easily spend as much on gear as a bike costs. We are all concerned with safety and you need maximum concentration "eyes on full beam" the whole time.

Fear is normal, and useful! As is good gear - you'll stand a much better chance if you do come off. You'll be over the fear in time though. *try* to relax your shoulders and arms though - the bike will handle much better if it's allowed to move and adjust to the road (especially in corners). Heated grips help winter riding - you can get them for £30...

I still get a bit nervous before going out on the bike, after over 40 years of biking......but once I get going my concentration takes over and I don't feel nervous anymore.....respect for the bike and other road users and conditions is very healthy..... 8-)

Yup still get a bit nervous at times! it's normal. Take it easy don't get pushed into going faster than you feel comfortable with.

Also remember you're invisible on a bike so expect people to try kill you. This isn't meant to put you off just give people space and anticipate people doing dumb stuff because it's then less of a shock when they do it and you're prepared :lol:

Hi all, I really do want to learn how to ride and start commuting by bike but at the same time I am kind of scared/worried about safety. Was anyone else like this when they first began riding? Also any commuters here, how you finding it? Esp winter months. Thanks.

Doing my day job I've dealt with numerous motorcycle accidents and a lot of them have ended very badly, so I was always put off by this. I passed my test in August and I've really enjoyed it. You have to learn to ride as if no one can see you. My day job has also helped me with my road position and hazard awareness.

I commute most days and love it (not as much at 5am when it's freezing cold)

Go for it 👍

Hey thanks all for your awesome inputs, I have decided I will definitely get a motorbike, however, firstly I will get a car licence and a car to get used to the roads etc etc. Then after the car is paid off I will get a motorbike, I figure having both is a bonus for those really bad winter days (black ice, salty roads, heavy winds etc) :thumb:

I really can not wait, now just need to decide on the bike

Either;

Honda cb500x

Honda cb500xt

Suzuki vstrom 250

Miiiiiiiight go for the 250 as its lower power just to ease my way into riding, if I feel brave however then it will be one of the Honda's. My main goal is a BMW 1000GS, buuuuuut that is after lots of miles under my belt.

I live in england and the dream is to tour wales/ireland/scotland before moving into bigger tours around france, sweden, switz etc. I can not wait. I get excited at the thought, and call me childish but when I see a motorbike on the road my eyes light up :mrgreen: :P

Pretty normal to feel nervous I think, especially in the beginning. But you learn to keep it under control.

Personally I tend not to commute so much at this time of year, mostly because my commuting times are pitch dark and the mass of lights is confusing enough in a car never mind on a bike and all the extra observations that are required to be safe on it. When the evenings start to get lighter again I end up commuting more again. :lol:

Pretty much shit myself every time I went out for the first 6 weeks!! I lost weight because the worry about safety had me running to the loo before each ride out as I was anticipating the worst. These days Im kind of used to it now, and you learn to just not worry about it so much as you are used to the bike, so you have more time to assess whats going on around you.

Take your time, do your checks, dont filter if you dont want to, and breathe!

Hey thanks all for your awesome inputs, I have decided I will definitely get a motorbike, however, firstly I will get a car licence and a car to get used to the roads etc etc. Then after the car is paid off I will get a motorbike, I figure having both is a bonus for those really bad winter days (black ice, salty roads, heavy winds etc) :thumb:

Either;

Honda cb500x

Honda cb500xt

Suzuki vstrom 250

Miiiiiiiight go for the 250 as its lower power just to ease my way into riding, if I feel brave however then it will be one of the Honda's. My main goal is a BMW 1000GS, buuuuuut that is after lots of miles under my belt.

I live in england and the dream is to tour wales/ireland/scotland before moving into bigger tours around france, sweden, switz etc. I can not wait. I get excited at the thought, and call me childish but when I see a motorbike on the road my eyes light up :mrgreen: :P

Also just to be boring and rein you in a bit.... have you done a CBT yet? As you'll have to do that first, which limits you to a 125cc bike until you complete mod 1 and 2. Then you can have whatever you want!

Pretty much shit myself every time I went out for the first 6 weeks!! I lost weight because the worry about safety had me running to the loo before each ride out as I was anticipating the worst.

Damn, wish that had happened with me, I had to change the gearing on my 125 because I'm such a lardass. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Either;

Honda cb500x

Honda cb500xt

Suzuki vstrom 250

Also just to be boring and rein you in a bit.... have you done a CBT yet? As you'll have to do that first, which limits you to a 125cc bike until you complete mod 1 and 2. Then you can have whatever you want!

I realise that haha, I can go straight to A1 Licence because of my age after the CBT. I just think ahead thats all

I did my CBT in August this year and had to wait till October to get the scooter that I wanted Suzuki address 110 I was nervous to start with but now 2 months in I love it and commute to work every day and go for a ride on my day off if other half is at work

• 4 months later...
Guest Richzx6r

I think I was a bit nervous for a couple of weeks but then learnt to just relax and let the bike do what it needed to do under me to stay upright, but I get that others aren't as stupid/not worried about much as I am.

As has been said though just ride within your own comfort and don't be pressured into doing something that you aren't happy about