Trail breaking question

Pbassred

As I understand it the reason for trail braking is to transition smoothly from braking to steering. Its also to preload the front suspension / front tire and increase grip. so far so good. Now you are in the corner steering evenly. Lets say its a long corner. Does gradually adding power loose grip?

Guest Richzx6r

It doesn't necessarily reduce grip but introducing power would just start picking the bike up so the bike would change its line through the corner

If you're being sensible it would behave like rich said.

If the bike is cranked right over and you give too much gas you're likely to loose grip to lose grip - more likely at the rear, but could go at the front too/instead.

With trail braking it's a balance of braking force vs lean angle:- the greater the lean the less braking force you can apply - to the front at least (rear braking in a bend can help tighten the turn). And the same applies to adding power on corner exit:- more lean angle equals less gas.

Is this a hypothetical question, or something you intend to try ?

Cos if you want to learn this stuff do it on a trackday or with a race school - it takes a lot of practicing and not something to learn on bumpy diesel stained public roads dude.🙂

Watch twist the wrist 2 on YouTube, the one minus the cheese is best.

My understanding is on track trail braking is used only as a supplement to you initial main braking, supposedly from the video it's best to brake then snap in over fast but at the last moment.

Rolling on gently as soon as your at lean actually loads the bike correctly making you less likely to lose the front, sports bikes are apparently set up to have perfect 50-50 weight distribution with a progressive positive throttle, i.e holding a neutral throttle is actually loading the front because in a steep lean angle the bike will be slowing.

It's much safer to have the rear slide a little than getting used to flying into a corner on neutral throttle. Obviously you don't do your serious rolling on until you coming right back up vertical.

Just a gentle roll on thru all corners on the road even has made my riding 10x better, the bike feels so planted, add getting your upper body over to the inside mirror and your well on your way.

So in an ideal world brake upright, slow in fast out.

As I understand it the reason for trail braking is to transition smoothly from braking to steering. Its also to preload the front suspension / front tire and increase grip. so far so good. Now you are in the corner steering evenly. Lets say its a long corner. Does gradually adding power loose grip?

Basically what they teach in the track racing and could be applied for street use if you know the road,

Entering corner, front break to slow down and increase front wheel grip, mid corner no breaks constant throttle so you don’t upset front or rear wheel, exits corner apply gradually throttle.

Every intervention on breaks or throttle during cornering may upset motorcycle.

It is easy when you know the road, start to be tricky when you don’t.

It doesn't necessarily reduce grip but introducing power would just start picking the bike up so the bike would change its line through the corner

That’s right if you apply throttle it will start to change the line and getting upright but you can balance it by applying more pressure to the inside handlebar (counter-steering)

I will be more concerned about loosing grip and sliding if you don’t have electronics to control it or you are not real experienced rider to control it by your wrist.

This is the Bible of bike control, it was made by the ex racer (names avoiding me atm) who now runs/own California superbike school.
Keith Code.

I should go back to this. Gentle throttle control is not an issue. My worry was that as a car driver for maaaany years. I naturally apply a little power on corners because it adds grip and stability in a car. My worry was that the opposite might be true on a bike.

I'm doing a CSS/Bennets "cornering confidence" course in August. Maybe it will all become clear then.

Did the Bennets course a few weeks ago. Really good,you'll get a lot out of it (but not trail braking). You can ask the instructors in the Q&A sessions tho,they're all from CSS. :thumb: