Advanced riding question with regards to a Pedestrian Refuge Islands

Alpha-Wolf

Hi riders,

I was once advised by an advanced rider about the smaller "Pedestrian Refuge Island" That does Not have a junction close to it like the one in picturec750d3dea3a5c64c23bc8f2ee756eedb.jpg or kufpkckqhjm622xl8d4ooyi794t6ku.jpg?auto=compress&q=80&w=500 if its safe to do so we are allowed to manovre/ go around the Refuge to the otherside of the road if the side we are on is blocked by traffic. Rushhour a good example. Manuver can only be performed if no one on Refuge Island and is clear to do so is what I was told and that we pay for use of bothsides of the road.

Thanks

Edited by Alpha-Wolf

I don't "know" the correct answer but I would imagine it is dependent on painted lines....

In your photo the hatched areas in the centre have broken lines on either side, and both before and after the refuge - which we can cross with caution. If the line are solid we cannot cross unless it's an emergency situation.

I have come across refuges such as the one pictured between 2 lanes going the same direction, and obviously traffic glows on both sides of those.

Hi riders,

I was once advised by an advanced rider about smaller the "Pedestrian Refuge Island" That does Not have a junction close to it like the one in

if its safe to do so we are allowed to manovre/ go around the Refuge to the otherside if road side we are on is blocked by traffic. Rushhour a good example. Manuver can only be performed if no one on Refuge Island and is clear to do so is what I was told and that we pay for use of bothsides of the road.

Thanks

I've seen a couple of people do just that on my commute home from work. I always think they give the rest of us a bad name even if it was legal. I was not sure so have waited in the traffic. I'll have to check for the blue arrows when I go along there tonight.

Non of the advanced riders in our group would give such dodgy advice. Police riders will go on the wrong side of a bollard if it's safe to do so, but it's not for mere mortals like us.

Whilst I am not risk averse, there are a couple of things I won't do, cross solid white lines and ride the wrong side of bollards.

I reply to you with great respect, I'm not into picking arguments for the sake of it but I see too many times, riders/drivers unwilling to cross solid white lines and causing unnecessary hold ups. It is quite legal to cross solid white lines under certain circumstances. This does not reflect the original post, just a separate but related comment.

otLFlY8.jpg

Hi all , thanks for the replies. I am sure we allowed if it's there are no Pedestrian crossing and no connection side roads or junctions.

Seen many times and thought bit dangerous.

This info came from Advanced motorcycle training IAM I think it's called.

Hi all , thanks for the replies. I am sure we allowed if it's there are no Pedestrian crossing and no connection side roads or junctions.

Seen many times and thought bit dangerous.

This info came from Advanced motorcycle training IAM I think it's called.

categorically NO it is failing to comply with the order given by tge blue arrow that you will fall foul of .

take a few minutes longer and wait

at end of day its your licence

And there is no publication within the IAM that condones it .

the only exemptions are BLUE light users

or if directed by police .

i think with white lines you get confused with stationary and queing traffic and take heed of the 10mph section .

Technically the most common time you can legally cross a solid white is to turn right or pass a horse .The other exemptions very rarely come into play

as no cyclist does 10mph or less these days

road maintenance vehicles can work at high mph than when the law was written

not many places allow parking in an area of solid white lines.

and to say again

Stationary ie PARKED / broken down IS what is defined as stationary Not queuing traffic so be wary of crossing the lines to beat the queue .

Whilst I am not risk averse, there are a couple of things I won't do, cross solid white lines and ride the wrong side of bollards.

I reply to you with great respect, I'm not into picking arguments for the sake of it but I see too many times, riders/drivers unwilling to cross solid white lines and causing unnecessary hold ups. It is quite legal to cross solid white lines under certain circumstances. This does not reflect the original post, just a separate but related comment.

otLFlY8.jpg

So that means that i can cross over the white line if there's a queue of traffic stationary and there are no cars coming from the opposite way, isn't it?

EDIT:

Only because i'm sitting in queue because of the white line whilst other bikers just whizz past way over the white line... make me feel a bit stupid.

otLFlY8.jpg

So that means that i can cross over the white line if there's a queue of traffic stationary and there are no cars coming from the opposite way, isn't it?

EDIT:

Only because i'm sitting in queue because of the white line whilst other bikers just whizz past way over the white line... make me feel a bit stupid.

No .queing cars are not stationary.

even though the cars may not be moving all it requires is

one to move an inch and its no longer stationary traffic .

Face it Even blue lights are not allowed to pass moving traffic on solid whites ...86412486_Screenshot_20190706-103131_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.517adb99b300a0097866fe656745d652.jpg

unsure if this has been updated since but

Regulation 26 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 provides the requirements and exceptions for vehicles stopping, crossing or straddling any length of road along which double white line markings have been placed. It also includes the warning that such markings convey. 

Exceptions to sections 26(2)(B) - crossing/straddling the markings 

Nothing in paragraph 26(2)(B) above shall be taken to prohibit a vehicle from being driven across, or so as to straddle, the continuous line referred to in that paragraph, if 

- it is safe to do so; and 

- it is necessary to do so 

and it is 

(a) to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road; 

(B) in order to pass a stationary vehicle; 

© owing to circumstances outside the control of the driver; 

(d) in order to avoid an accident; 

(e) in order to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use, is moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph, and is displaying to the rear the sign regulatory arrow sign (white arrow on blue) - traffic to proceed either left or right as indicated by sign or the sign for vehicles to stay right of vehicle involved with mobile roadworks (white arrow on blue, but mounted on yellow board with flashing amber lights); 

(f) in order to pass a pedal cycle moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; 

(g) in order to pass a horse that is being ridden or led at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; or 

(h) for the purposes of complying with any direction of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden. 

Like I said "if it's safe to do so"

And "necessary if traffic jam"

And it does state this is an "advanced manoeuvre" I've just been out with a police biker. Strongly depends on markings. Or if directed by an official.

We are not to hold up traffic or add congestion aid traffic flow control.

Like I said "if it's safe to do so"

And "necessary if traffic jam"

And it does state this is an "advanced manoeuvre" I've just been out with a police biker. Strongly depends on markings. Or if directed by an official.

We are not to hold up traffic or add congestion aid traffic flow control.

Sorry your just being a dick

Traffic does not count as "A STATIONARY VEHICLE"

A stationary vehicle is 1, get that one, uno.

Queuing traffic is just that. More than one and not an excuse to cross double white lines

Please feel free to cross them at every opportunity then when your in court you can explain to them that they are all wrong and you read somewhere on the Internet that it was OK so it must be.

• 4 months later...

The blue arrows on the bollard tell you all you need to know. You must stay the right sight of the road and pass to the left.

Yes I’d have to agree with that.

Let’s face it, you wouldn’t do it in a car.

This document is all about road signs and markings and the keep left/right arrow is in Section 4, Compulsory and Prohibited Movements.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782724/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-03.pdf

"4.7.1. The “keep left” (or “keep right”) sign to diagram 610 (S3‑2‑3, see Figure 4‑25) may be erected without an order. It is used at traffic islands, refuges..."

1510.jpg

That sign is the same (white arrow on a blue back ground) as arrows which indicate one way streets and round a bouts and no one would consider going the way opposite to what the arrows indicated there. The keep left/right arrow is the same and to not comply with it is an offence here, Sec 36 RTA 1988;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/36

"36 Drivers to comply with traffic signs.

(1)Where a traffic sign, being a sign—

(a)of the prescribed size, colour and type, or

(b)of another character authorised by the [F2relevant authority] under the provisions in that behalf of the M1Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,

has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence."