What was your first "boo boo"?

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
smartroad
Bike(s): 2014 Honda VFR800
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 9 times

What was your first "boo boo"?

#1 Post by smartroad » Tue May 15, 2018 6:14 pm

I was chatting to a friend today about bikes and we had a little fun comparing 'firsts' with riding. One of my first self taught lessons was keep relaxed :lol:

I had only been riding a week or so (after passing test) and I was on my way to my parents. I took the backroads, cause motorways are boring. Anyway, I was coming up on a section of dual-carriageway after leaving a small village and following a Vauxhall (can't remember model) who wasn't making the progress I would have liked once we got into the national limit, so I done my checks, indicated and overtook, didn't think much of it.

Motored along the dual CW and was approaching the end and would soon be back to single. The problem was that it had a reasonably tight, when doing 60+, right turn. I happened to check my mirrors and saw the Vauxhall approaching fast, then on my tail, as I slowed down for the corner. Then he was right on my rear end and I tightened up, so instead of going around the bend I couldn't get the bike to turn enough because I was stressed and physically taught. My bike, instead of going round the bend, started to drift towards the curb. I got closer and closer until the bend straighten out, but by this point my tyres were kissing the curb. I re-focused and managed to get the bike back into line and saw the 'man of self-gratification' (can we swear here?!) flashing his lights at me, constantly, for the next mile and a half until we parted ways.

Cheers mate, I know I almost crashed and went VERY wide, but only because it looked like you were two inches from my rear wheel!

Moral of the story (for me anyway) keep relaxed even if there is moron behind you trying to intimidate you. Personally I think he was jealous of a crappy Suzuki GS500 overtaking him :lol:

Snod Blatter
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Has Liked: 155 times
Been Liked: 72 times

Re: What was your first "boo boo"?

#2 Post by Snod Blatter » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

I nearly stuffed the school bike into a car turning off at a T junction, no idea of speed or how slow I should have been going or how to steer the thing. Then went out on my own bike, having been certified as the bestest rider ever with an official CBT pass certificate and everything, and crashed after about 3 miles and broke my collar bone because I didn't know how to steer the thing.

That gave me a lot of spare time to read up on counter steering.. :roll:

Justarn
Bike(s): Xjr1200
Has Liked: 69 times
Been Liked: 42 times

#3 Post by Justarn » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm

After a months of owning my vfr400 (first bike) a decade ago I pulled up.at a local shop, read a tx message then got off and walked away. I then heard a wheelie bin fall over, turned round and it was actually the vfr, forgot to put the stand down lol.

And as above, no one ever taught me counter steering, I used to drift wide alot until I learnt it. One particular moment I was over taking an articulated lorry on a slight right hand, almost touched it, I couldn't understand why it wouldn't turn, obviously in retrospect due to me steering like a car which obviously turns you the opposite direction above 15mph.

Why didn't anyone on my test teach countersteering?
1998 xjr1200 cafe fighter.
Don't insult me.... You make everyone realise your an idiot.

leener
Bike(s): Triumph Sprint RS, Kawasaki ZZR600D, Honda 900RR
Has Liked: 65 times
Been Liked: 133 times

#4 Post by leener » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

First "boo boo" was passing my test, fully qualified to ride any power of bike at 21, buying a GPZ500 because it wasn't too powerful, and not knowing how to ride it properly. I didn't even know what counter-steering was.

After a month, I got cocky and went too fast, went wide on a roundabout and trashed the bike and myself.

Plus, I was only wearing a helmet for protection.

I was a proper bell hat.

Code: Select all

if (!_broken) 
{
	Fix(null);
	ride = true;
	return wheelie;
}
else 
{
	Fix(bike, today());
	return cryOfPain;
}

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 222 times

#5 Post by raesewell » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am

Countersteering doesn't have to be taught it's something you do or you only ever go in straight lines. Bikes don't go around corners unless you countersteer.
What needs to be taught is how to countersteer more effectively.

leener
Bike(s): Triumph Sprint RS, Kawasaki ZZR600D, Honda 900RR
Has Liked: 65 times
Been Liked: 133 times

#6 Post by leener » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am

raesewell wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am
What needs to be taught is how to countersteer more effectively.
Very correct!

If I could get into training new bikers then I would make sure that nobody left the training centre without this basic skill.

Code: Select all

if (!_broken) 
{
	Fix(null);
	ride = true;
	return wheelie;
}
else 
{
	Fix(bike, today());
	return cryOfPain;
}

Justarn

#7 Post by Justarn » Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am

I disagree, until I knew what countersteering was I was just trying to lean and force it, all tense and fighting the bike....

raesewell

#8 Post by raesewell » Thu May 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Bikes don't go around corners unless you countersteer, so you must have only been going in straight lines. It's physics, you cant argue with physics :P
Last edited by raesewell on Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justarn

#9 Post by Justarn » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Pretty much, if I pushed on I struggled to turn because I was tense lol... 8 months later I was countersteering too much and tucked the front on a 5jj r1 at 65mph at full lean on a left hander.
5 cars on the outside of the bend, bike hit the first car front wheel, overtook me, hit the 5th car hit the door, kept going hit my mates back wheel (k4 gsxr600) went up and snapped his acrapokic exhaust in half, luckily he stayed on.
I rolled around the 90 Deg swooping bend and stayed in the middle of the road for 40m, I had time to think shit, I've fell off, please don't hit nothing please don't hit nothing, sky tarmac, sky tarmac, sky tarmac lol....
I was lucky to get up with minor cuts and bruises and was in the pub an hour later.
Paid for tracking on the first car, £500 cash to repair the BMW and we made my mates exhaust a stubby can.
The R1 gained cracked clutch casing, smashed headlight, snapped crash bung, 4" left bend to the rear subframe, left side scrapped all over, clutch lever and clipon smashed, nose fairing cracked.
I got it home and the next day strapped it to my walnut tree and used a scaffold tube to bend the subframe back and and few club hammer hits had it straight ish. Cable ties the fairings and bought a headlight and clipon n lever.
Swapped the d208's for diablo super Corsa and done my first track day at brands two weeks later, needless to say I was the slowest out there with no confidence in the front anymore.

So I'm guessing that was my biggest boo boo, very lucky.

smartroad
Bike(s): 2014 Honda VFR800
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 9 times

#10 Post by smartroad » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

raesewell wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:05 pm
you cant argue with physics :P
Well you can argue, but you won't win lol

raesewell

#11 Post by raesewell » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm

smartroad wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm
raesewell wrote:
:D :D

someone
Bike(s): Honda CB500F
Has Liked: 49 times
Been Liked: 116 times

#12 Post by someone » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 pm

smartroad wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm
raesewell wrote:
Well that will be good news to Newton but bad news for Einstein.

But kids countersteer bicycles without having to be told anything about it. How does anyone complete a CBT if they need to be told?
125s are fun.

Gerontious
Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 483 times

#13 Post by Gerontious » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Going abroad on my bike.. its made riding in this country so dull.

Into Italy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kingmunky
Bike(s): 2008 Bandit 650
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 12 times

#14 Post by kingmunky » Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm

My first was in the yard at the training centre!! Locked the back wheel on my first attempt at an emergency stop, ditched it, breaking a mirror and brake lever in the process. The instructor just said "Welcome to the club, everyone's gotta have their first accident sometime." And that's why they had a pile of old wrecks at the back of the centre - plenty of spares to hand.

mas101
Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 21 times

#15 Post by mas101 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Justarn wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am
I disagree, until I knew what countersteering was I was just trying to lean and force it, all tense and fighting the bike....
Same here. I had all sorts of problems turning at speed until I started consciously countersteering.

I cycle so I presume I was doing minimal cs to initiate a turn but then positive steering/leaning trying to turn faster.
I did some reading /watching youtube but the problem is that while people know it works, their attempts at explaining it are, on the whole, shit.