Bittersweet Week

JesterPilgrim

So, I picked up my bike on Monday!

IMG_2023.thumb.JPG.74e5d36cb95e9e5a89e05c176cac82b3.JPG

Then I tried to start it on Tuesday, and it wouldn't start. So back it went.

Got a new battery installed, got it back on Wednesday!

Fell down outside my front door, broke my thumb. Got surgery next week and will be in a cast for the next 6.

FUN.

In the meantime, should I get some kind of battery charger to keep it in good condition? How do they work, would I have to trail a power cord outside to my driveway?

congratulations on the bike and commiserations on the injury. I hope the two aren't connected. If you are not riding it for 6 weeks and don't have a garage I'd be inclined to remove the battery and periodically charge it with something like one of these: https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-2

But check what battery they have installed first to get the right charger. It is well worth having a charger anyway.

Optimate 2 is good. It only charges at 800ma and can be left connected indefinitely. You get a socket and ring connectors with it that you install on your battery so it's really easy to plug in when you park up.

i've just bought my second CTEK charger. The 0.8amp one is specifically for motorcycles and other smaller batteries. Both my bikes now have a CTEK attached to them and it keeps the batteries at top condition all the time.

CTEK do an extension cable from the charger to the connection that's on the bike so if your bike isn't too far from the house all you need to do is to run the extension lead to the bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Connect-2-5M-Extension-charger/dp/B00ADIHUVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544715567&sr=8-1&keywords=ctek+extension+lead

I have this one and also the 5.0 amp version which does AGM batteries and a condition setting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Automatic-Maintainer-maintainence-motorcycle/dp/B004RADNCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544715596&sr=1-1&keywords=ctek+0.8

These LED battery condition indicators built into the charging connection are brilliant. You can tell at a glance what state the battery is in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Indicator-eyelet-practical-indication/dp/B002MT8S7E/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544715737&sr=1-5&keywords=ctek+comfort+indicator

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

A new battery could easily survive 6 weeks. I don't like leaving batteries on trickle chargers, but it might be worth putting it on charge every month or two you don't use it. A basic 2amp one from Halfords would do the trick.

Get a cover for the bike though, keep it shiney and corrosion free :thumb:

Poor thumb. One handed is so much more debilitating than you realise until you have to deal with it. Good luck with the surgery.

Might want to think about some fat grips, the extra width will be much kinder on your recovering thumb when you jump back on.

The recommendation by folk on here who know better than me are Grip Puppies.

Definitely optimate, I've used one for a couple of years, bike is permanently plugged into it when not in use, excellent bit of kit, bike starts first time every time and it has definitely extended the periods between buying new batteries. Hope you heal soon, :thumb:

How are you guys able to keep chargers attached permanently to your batteries... access to mine appears to require removal of the seat....

The one I linked to, like most, has a lead that you connect to the battery that terminates in a waterproof socket that you plug the charger in to. You can either leaving this poking out of the seat or do something more professional.

My battery ran flat once so I just push started it. Took, like, basically no effort.

Doesn't work so well on FI bikes if there's no power to run the ecu or the injectors.

I think it's worth having a "flying" lead on the bike. They're usually supplied with the battery tender and allow you to plug it in at any time without having to get in to the battery.

The battery tender, unlike an old fashioned charger, can be left connected for weeks or months.

If your bike is parked outside, I would advise against running a mains power lead outside - you don't want to be responsible for electrocuting someone (or have someone steal your battery tender). The 12v lead can safely be extended instead or, if you really must run the mains lead outside, have it plugged in via a RCD. That way they can still steal your battery tender but nobody should get electrocuted.

The 12v lead can safely be extended instead......

...not that far, though......there's a reason why we have 275 kV AC power transmission lines, not 12 V DC......V=IR, anybody?

My battery ran flat once so I just push started it. Took, like, basically no effort.

Doesn't work so well on FI bikes if there's no power to run the ecu or the injectors.

Interesting. Mine was FI, but nevertheless.

:shock: wow what a week lol .. how many bones you brake m8 ..when I came off my bro in laws pan . I crushed 4 bones and snapped both thumb bones in one hand .( 27 bones in human hand 2 thumb bones ) when I went for surgery the surgeon said if I cut that open it all fall out like broken Lego I can't do the surgery on it so I had 2 nurses holding my wrist while the surgeon squashed my thumb back in to place and wraped it up . Now I have one thumb 1/2inch shorter that the left thumb ..