Any tyres for sale?

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
fastbob
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Has Liked: 1895 times
Been Liked: 1417 times

Re: Any tyres for sale?

#16 Post by fastbob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Tyre fitters won't be too keen on you taking tyres in to be fitted because they buy in bulk and sell at a profit . I also doubt very much that they would be willing to touch second hand ones at all.

Bender
Has Liked: 297 times
Been Liked: 732 times

#17 Post by Bender » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:12 pm

emmajaneg wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 pm
fastbob wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Bender wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 pm
Don't skimp on tyres, they are the point of contact between you and the tarmac, if times are that hard walk.
I totally agree, get good NEW tyres professionaly fitted as soon as possible. We've had it good so far this winter and you don't want to be riding on shit tyres when it gets really cold ,wet and icy . With the greatest of respect, you should have taken the cost of consumables into account when you got the bike.
I did lol but unexpectedly my first bike got stolen. I put all of my savings into the first bike. Not only that but Christmas has just passed my dear and it drained my pocket. My bike is my life and I ain’t getting rid of it

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, just don't put crappy tyres on it, saving money won't do you any good when your 2nd bike is in a ditch and your under a car, and in cold crappy weather the difference between a good tyre and a shit one is magnified
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

fullscreenaging
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has Liked: 96 times
Been Liked: 142 times

#18 Post by fullscreenaging » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:40 pm

You’ve also got to think about whether the tyres in the bike at the minute are legal also. The minimum tread depth for a motorcycle tyres is 1mm across 3/4 of the tyre.
I would seriously not let my tyres get below 2-3mm if I was riding through the winter and the wet weather.
It’s sounds like you have had a few close calls already and I’m sure you don’t want to be coming off because your tyres are that bad. Not only that if your tyres are no longer legal and you do have an accident then your insurance could be invalid and then you’ll be in a world of financial pain at the very least....
I would get some new ones if you’re riding through the bad weather asap

Here is some info on tyres
https://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/mo ... intenance/
What if the whole world farted at once?

fastbob
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Has Liked: 1895 times
Been Liked: 1417 times

#19 Post by fastbob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 pm

When I trashed a GSX 1100 many years ago an assessor from my insurance company came to see my bike . I thought he had come to tell me whether it was a write off but all he did was pop a tread depth gauge out of his top pocket , poke it in the tyres , make a note and leave. In other words all he was there for was to see if they could get out of paying because my tyres weren't up to legal requirements. Need I say more ?

Mickly
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Has Liked: 113 times
Been Liked: 269 times

#20 Post by Mickly » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm

I had a remould on the back of my GSXR750 - cheap to buy but I’d never do it again - allegedly on a Pirelli carcass but the handling could only be described as ‘odd & inconsistent’ I persevered for a couple of K coz I didn’t want to accept that I was wrong and everyone who’d warned me was right.
Eventually I got so nervous about it I wrecked it publicly with a huge burn out, then bought a proper one ( and spent f*cking ages cleaning the molten rubber off the back of the bike )

Do NOT consider remoulds for road use ( maybe if your going drag racing )
10/10 Pubs
10/10 SW
10/10 Midlands

emmajaneg
Bike(s): Yamaha YBR 125
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 37 times

#21 Post by emmajaneg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 am

Bender wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:12 pm
emmajaneg wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 pm
fastbob wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:46 pm

I totally agree, get good NEW tyres professionaly fitted as soon as possible. We've had it good so far this winter and you don't want to be riding on shit tyres when it gets really cold ,wet and icy . With the greatest of respect, you should have taken the cost of consumables into account when you got the bike.
I did lol but unexpectedly my first bike got stolen. I put all of my savings into the first bike. Not only that but Christmas has just passed my dear and it drained my pocket. My bike is my life and I ain’t getting rid of it

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, just don't put crappy tyres on it, saving money won't do you any good when your 2nd bike is in a ditch and your under a car, and in cold crappy weather the difference between a good tyre and a shit one is magnified
Yeah I meant in terms of expenses etc

I swear I can go 70 mph on my bike you know...
I mean, the speedometer is definitely reading 70 mph
The problems of only having a 125 🙄