What is the point of a service

BIKERDAD

I just went to book my bike in for a yearly service as the garage I used no.longer

So iv went to main dealer .

So I asked to have a service and an MOT what do you change on the service. Oil .an oil filter..?????? What else nothing no spark plugs .. no air filter . No .. just the oil . So what am i paying £160.00 for the oil change and looking over the bike . Them £30 for the MOT .which you check the bike over again no he does the both same time .. never mind just the MOT plz .

The last garage I used to use did all the check ups and air filiter oil filiter oil . Spark plugs and once did my forks cost £15 extra for the rubber seals . So was I getting a good deal. If I want the other bits changed its £350.00 and take 4 to 5 hours WTF to change oil oil filitr .plugs. air filter . wow.

I need to find another garage for servicing ..

It's 96 cb750 .so no warranty lol . They showed me the tick box thing. Look at engine / check exhaust / look at there/ change oil /change filiter / it was all look at that look at this . No actual work apart from oil .. and they want £160 that was the basic service top was £350 which I guess put some oil on hands pretend to have worked on bike . Robbery that what ..

First service for the AT was fixed at £125. 4.3Litres of semi synthetic oil and 2 oil filters - discounted. £65 labour. Aside from the oil change he also went all over the bike and lubed everything that can move... Aside from the chain, which he said: "didn't need anything doing" - I was quite chuffed about that as I'm so out of practice where chains are concerned. I was quite happy about the price charged, but, I'm not sure about the. Next service if I want to pay another £65 again, for something I can do myself... Only "tool" I will need is a filter tool. £20. I can get an oil change kit: 5litres Motul and both filters for £37 delivered. So... Full cost could be as little as £57 next time.

Seems daft to me to pay through the nose for a minor or annual service, which is simple enough to do. Means I'll be happier paying for the major (valves) at 16,000 they tell me that will visit something over £300. 2 hours due to all the stuff that hast to come off to get at the valves.

The one and only time I paid a garage to do anything was when I had a new clutch fitted to the GSXR. They promised to do it on a Monday and they were still lying and f*****g around at six o'clock the following Friday. The clutch burned out after one season . Never again ! I've always done my own maintenance and I've never had anyone to blame but myself when something goes wrong. Plus I enjoy working on bikes almost as much as I enjoy riding them.

First service for the AT was fixed at £125. 4.3Litres of semi synthetic oil and 2 oil filters - discounted. £65 labour. Aside from the oil change he also went all over the bike and lubed everything that can move... Aside from the chain, which he said: "didn't need anything doing" - I was quite chuffed about that as I'm so out of practice where chains are concerned. I was quite happy about the price charged, but, I'm not sure about the. Next service if I want to pay another £65 again, for something I can do myself... Only "tool" I will need is a filter tool. £20. I can get an oil change kit: 5litres Motul and both filters for £37 delivered. So... Full cost could be as little as £57 next time.

Seems daft to me to pay through the nose for a minor or annual service, which is simple enough to do. Means I'll be happier paying for the major (valves) at 16,000 they tell me that will visit something over £300. 2 hours due to all the stuff that hast to come off to get at the valves.

I had same issue, decided to buy my own tools to do my own oil change, tighten chain etc. Bought a few tools for the job. Torque wrench, ratchet, breaker bar, sockets, oil filter wrench.

Find a good independent, main dealers really can be extortionate. They do exist, my fella is cheap and works to a high standard. Did my fork seals for £60, parts included in that :thumb:. A full service last year was £130, all fitlers and fluids changed for that.

......... paying for the major (valves) at 16,000 they tell me that will visit something over £300. 2 hours due to all the stuff that hast to come off to get at the valves.

for 2 hours and £300 you get a valve clearance CHECK .. if any valve clearances need ADJUSTING try doubling that price ..

everything is in the description of work offered.

I hate the term 'service' it can mean anything from an oil change to

change oil,

change oil filter

change fuel filter

change air filter

change brake fluid

change coolant

check/adjust valves

check/adjust chain

check/adjust tyre pressures

check/adjust headlight pattern

+probably more

I'd rather places just say we'll do this, this and this for this much.

for 2 hours and £300 you get a valve clearance CHECK .. if any valve clearances need ADJUSTING try doubling that price ..

That's alright, I did say "Something over £300" dealership told me the price when I was debating getting the fixed price service package. They also told me that of all the AT's that they have serviced since 2016, only 2 needed the valves adjusted. So, I'm not going to worry about that. 24K service for my GS costs more at an independent than this bike costs at a Honda dealership. I can do the minor 6000 myself. And let the dealership do the more complicated stuff. That suits me just fine. If I decide to keep the GS, which right now looks likely. then it will probably be several years before I hit 16k, which was why I turned down the fixed price service deal. I don't commute.

I hate the term 'service' it can mean anything from an oil change to

change oil,

change oil filter

change fuel filter

change air filter

change brake fluid

change coolant

check/adjust valves

check/adjust chain

check/adjust tyre pressures

check/adjust headlight pattern

+probably more

I'd rather places just say we'll do this, this and this for this much.

If only check and adjust they did . As on the sheet with all the items they LOOK AT there is a box to tick . Check .....that's it no adjust or fix .. It's all looked at . So they come back to you in 2hours time and say this all the items we checked and need adjusting.. do you want us to do the work . Rather than check AND adjust. As I always thought a service was to check and adjust if it needed repaired they come and tell you or call you ..

Not just look at it .well I just bought all the bits I need to do WHAT I call a.service .

Oil

.Oil filiter.

Air filter

.fuel filiter .

Spark plugs.

I was think about doing the spark plug leads .as i dont they been changed for a few years .. I'll have to see where the other end goes . I know one end on the spark plugs just need to see where they go .

Anyway all these items less £70 .and free shipping . So one done the MOT if got £40 left over the Mrs thinks of spent mmmmmm what can treat my bike to .. some that is it Ac50 some thing keep it looking good .

So they come back to you in 2hours time and say this all the items we checked and need adjusting.. do you want us to do the work . Rather than check AND adjust.

what?

this is too funny.

you have a dealership. that does a check, so.. this may involve taking bits off the bike like the tank. to 'check'. and then what? they put the whole thing back together again and tell you what checks found a problem and do you want us to do this work?

dealerships do what you ask them to do.. so did you just tell them to do a check? and what kind of look did they give you when you gave them this quite remarkable instruction?

No I didn't ask them to check any thing I asked for a service . And then asked what do they do in a service. And then then showed me a sheet paper and all it has on the is 2 pics of an outline of a bike then all down the left sure is what they are looking at and 2 boxs red and green box next to it to tick .

As they DON'T TAKEN ANY THING OFF they just look at it and see if it's loose broken what ever . Then tick the box fed or green red needs work green ok .

Then they ask you do you want us to fix the reds ...

But as they dont do plugs ..air filiter ..fuel fuliter stuff i say should be in a service ..

Should be called a looky looky not service . You booked your bike in for a looky looky.

Lol .

Ok MOT done and a pass :3some: . But one advisory which was the same as last year

When they gave me the new MOT they said the sterring it had a bit of play in it ..not worn at all just bit loose when you come back next year (today ) we will sort it for you ... .

so last year I went to my bro in law who put the bike . Got his big spanners out lol . And said there nothing wrong with steering. So today they said the same thing yet there is no play as you put the bike on canter stand and grab the forks and see if the move or try and move the handle bars forwards and back nothing ..

Is it bollocks and just for me.to book it in with them or an excuse to make me go back next year ...

Edited by BIKERDAD

Took my Suzuki Address to the dealer that sold it to me for its 1st service today they changed the oil and oil filter £80 the oil and filter cost about £12 the rest was labour and VAT Haynes don’t do a manual for this scooter otherwise I’d get one and see if I could do it myself

Hi Ian.. what are you on about you don't have a manual .. YES YOU DO its called TMBF just ask the guys on here they tell you or they will find out and tell.you . Lol

I don't have a manual for my bike .as Haynes do one but it's the old type . Or the nighthawk and iv been told by Honda the nighthawk is close to the same as mine its not. If that makes sense..

Any probs I just ask on here ..

I just did what the Honda dealer called a major service of £400 I think it was ..

When it came.down to it it was

Oil

Oil.filiter

Air filiter

Fuel filter

Spark plugs .

It cost me £70 from M&Ps Swansea did it all myself

Only bigger i had was I don't have a spark plug spaner .. So I went thro my dad's tools I had after he died . There was I think an old type. Long pentagon show pipe with a thing wire handle you use to undo and tighten . I just taken the wire part off and banged in an old socket and used a socket spanner . Job done ..