Best time to buy MT09/Bike?

MarkK92

Hi All,

This is only my 2nd post after joining, so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

So currently doing my DAS. Only did my first lesson today.

Anyway in terms of bikes I'd like once passed. I've always loved the MT 09.

I'm looking at the finance option. Question I have is - When (if at all) is the best time to buy a bike from a financial point of view.

My local bike shop has had a few different offers over 2019:

FEBRUARY - £7895 or £89 a month with £900 deposit.

AUGUST & OCTOBER- £7895 or £106 a month with £850 deposit

Currently - £8399 or £ 99 a month with £1898 deposit.

This is on PCP by the way. I don't want to pay almost £2k on a deposit for PCP. Although realise I can lower deposit and pay more a month.

I asked the manager in the shop if it's likely to come down in price in next 6 or so months and he said that prices are set by Yamaha and that they have no say in how they are set. He said its likely to go up to £8,500 without OTR as it'll be 2020 model.

Basically the £89 a month option was perfect. Just want to see if you guys would be able to advise if it's likely that the bike will be down at similar price again. Sorry I'm just new to world of bikes and finance.

Also, if there is any particular time of year where you can usually get a good offer on finance that would be great to know.

I'm doing my DAS now and say if I hopefully I pass in December then I'd like to buy a bike in March or April. Just to allow me to save up a bit more and hopefully start out on bike in better weather.

Thanks

Mark

It varies so much in my experience. You just have to do your homework and then keep an eye on the market. Check various dealers as they can vary a lot.

If you're not worried about having the latest version look in the new year for dealers with left over stock from the previous year. They'll always offer a decent discount.

The manufacturers set the prices on brand new bikes. but once the models change to the 'new year' its up to the dealers to shift their bikes as quickly as they can, usually to make room. and/or make the new bikes even more attractive. The distributors also reduce the price of the stock they have on hand to the dealers to make way for new bikes apperaring. I bought my new bike on the 20th of November last year.. as the 2019s were just about to arrive. this year I expect the discounts to be even greater as there is a brand new bike appearing. I didnt go for the PCP deal in the end, i got a bank loan. but the price of the bike was the same regardless of payment method. I can see and well understand the attraction of PCP. But, it wasn't for me in the end. I wanted to own the bike outright.

Is buying a used bike.. even one thats only done less than a 1000 miles out of the question? These.. little used bikes that people buy and then realise its not for them, or they have some type of financial disaster and need to get rid - fast. often represent massive bargains as the original owner has borne the brunt od the intitial depreciation and VAT. they also.. often add goodies to the bike in the short time they own it.

One final point, be very careful. Its often the case that new riders get a longing for a certain bike and 'splash out' and then realise over the following weeks and months that it wasnt really the right decicison. for whatever reason.

I would suggest you hang fire on buying until you have completed your DAS and only then start your search in earnest. you might change your mind.. or realise that your reasons for choosing a specific bike have been altered somewhat.

I bought a new mt10 from a yamaha dealer when they'd just come out and I negotiated - anyone saying they can't is lying. That said the cheapest new 09 I can find is £7999 so that's not a bad price

829556645_Screenshot_20191110-103658_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.52bf1a9bf2ab855303b3b5d7617d6066.jpg

I'd assume that now is a good time to buy as it's winter and people are more likely to buy in spring I reckon. Also the best day to buy is the end of the month - sales people have targets to hit. And probs December too - terrible month for sales typically. Try and negotiate by getting them to throw in a tail tidy, rad guards etc, rather than reducing the price.

It varies so much in my experience. You just have to do your homework and then keep an eye on the market. Check various dealers as they can vary a lot.

If you're not worried about having the latest version look in the new year for dealers with left over stock from the previous year. They'll always offer a decent discount.

Thanks very much. Yeah I'm not really fussed about getting the latest look. It's just that I love the look of the latest MT09 if that makes sense. Will just keep having a look around. I only realised last night that I've not even looked at Honda or KTM or BMW!

The manufacturers set the prices on brand new bikes. but once the models change to the 'new year' its up to the dealers to shift their bikes as quickly as they can, usually to make room. and/or make the new bikes even more attractive. The distributors also reduce the price of the stock they have on hand to the dealers to make way for new bikes apperaring. I bought my new bike on the 20th of November last year.. as the 2019s were just about to arrive. this year I expect the discounts to be even greater as there is a brand new bike appearing. I didnt go for the PCP deal in the end, i got a bank loan. but the price of the bike was the same regardless of payment method. I can see and well understand the attraction of PCP. But, it wasn't for me in the end. I wanted to own the bike outright.

Is buying a used bike.. even one thats only done less than a 1000 miles out of the question? These.. little used bikes that people buy and then realise its not for them, or they have some type of financial disaster and need to get rid - fast. often represent massive bargains as the original owner has borne the brunt od the intitial depreciation and VAT. they also.. often add goodies to the bike in the short time they own it.

One final point, be very careful. Its often the case that new riders get a longing for a certain bike and 'splash out' and then realise over the following weeks and months that it wasnt really the right decicison. for whatever reason.

I would suggest you hang fire on buying until you have completed your DAS and only then start your search in earnest. you might change your mind.. or realise that your reasons for choosing a specific bike have been altered somewhat.

Thanks very much. Really helpful stuff.

The manager in the shop said there was only 1 left in in this part of the country and this was in his shop. So as soon as that's gone Yamaha will put the price back to around £8500 from around £8300.

Yes, good point about PCP. See originally I was only planning to get a MT07 so that made sense on PCP as I would likely want something with a bit more power after a while. However, after talking to a few people they recommended looking at the MT09 as that has plenty. Now, I'm still looking the PCP because of low monthly prices but I am wondering whether I'll really want to get rid of the bike 3 years from now. I suspect the MT09 will be more than enough. And I guess I can always have a bank loan or HP of 3 years and if I want say an S1000R after 4 or 5 years then I can part exchange MT09 as I own it?

No, used is definitely an option. I'm just getting sucked into PCP and you say is easy to do!

Yes, thanks. Good advice to take time. As I said at start I don't see myself buying a bike until at least March 2020 anyway so no rush to decide yet.

I bought a new mt10 from a yamaha dealer when they'd just come out and I negotiated - anyone saying they can't is lying. That said the cheapest new 09 I can find is £7999 so that's not a bad price

Screenshot_20191110-103658_Auto Trader.jpg

I'd assume that now is a good time to buy as it's winter and people are more likely to buy in spring I reckon. Also the best day to buy is the end of the month - sales people have targets to hit. And probs December too - terrible month for sales typically. Try and negotiate by getting them to throw in a tail tidy, rad guards etc, rather than reducing the price.

Yeah thanks. Manager in store basically was having none of it. Prices aren't set by him or store. Yamaha set them and he answers to them.

I was just surprised. I've never heard about that before. Always thought dealerships would be open to negotiation if it meant a sale.

For what it's worth I bought my Tracer 900gt in July. I test rode all the new bikes I thought I would like that were in my price bracket. My wife and I both loved the Tracer. It was well speced up for the price. I looked at the demo bike they had but the finance interest was higher 6.9% wheras the new was 2.9%. I went to numerous dealers and all said they couldn't budge on the price but one offered me 200 quid extra for my trade in a big discount on a top box and it's rack. The finance deal ended that week and Yamaha were not telling the dealers what the new deal was (all the other yam dealer said the same) As this one seemed good and in my price range I went for it and was glad I did so as the interest deal did go up.

I think there are a few important things to think about when taking the plunge on a new bike. Can I afford it? Can I afford it if I have a change in circumstances? Is this deal right for me?. I put down a bigger deposit and the balloon payment is 3k at the end. I intend to keep my Tracer at the end of it and I have worked out over the 3 years that I need to save up that 3k so I'm being disciplined and making sure I save away 85 quid a month just for this.

It's crap but sometimes you just need to hold fire until you are in the right financial position I had to wait nearly 3 years. Don't be sucked in there will always be the right deal out there but get yourself prepared for it

No deal is a good deal if you can't afford it at that time.

Dealerships are always open to negotiation if they think it will result in a sale. I guess the guy you spoke to knew you weren't at the point of buying so he's nothing to lose by saying they can't haggle.

Yeah, fair point. Although he really does come across like a bit of an arse in general. Other guys there seem good. A

Particularly one guy who was great. It's just him. Something off about him.

For what it's worth I bought my Tracer 900gt in July. I test rode all the new bikes I thought I would like that were in my price bracket. My wife and I both loved the Tracer. It was well speced up for the price. I looked at the demo bike they had but the finance interest was higher 6.9% wheras the new was 2.9%. I went to numerous dealers and all said they couldn't budge on the price but one offered me 200 quid extra for my trade in a big discount on a top box and it's rack. The finance deal ended that week and Yamaha were not telling the dealers what the new deal was (all the other yam dealer said the same) As this one seemed good and in my price range I went for it and was glad I did so as the interest deal did go up.

I think there are a few important things to think about when taking the plunge on a new bike. Can I afford it? Can I afford it if I have a change in circumstances? Is this deal right for me?. I put down a bigger deposit and the balloon payment is 3k at the end. I intend to keep my Tracer at the end of it and I have worked out over the 3 years that I need to save up that 3k so I'm being disciplined and making sure I save away 85 quid a month just for this.

It's crap but sometimes you just need to hold fire until you are in the right financial position I had to wait nearly 3 years. Don't be sucked in there will always be the right deal out there but get yourself prepared for it

Thanks for advice. Thnk I just need to take my time. As someone said earlier, just get my test done and then really start research.

Just so I can start somewhat of a search now, any suggestions on alternatives to the MT09.

If I were to put together some sort of list now, it would be:

MT09

MT07

Z900

I want a naked bike but any suggestions would be great. I do like Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki, KTM, Honda. But open to other brands.

Thanks

Thanks for advice. Thnk I just need to take my time. As someone said earlier, just get my test done and then really start research.

Just so I can start somewhat of a search now, any suggestions on alternatives to the MT09.

If I were to put together some sort of list now, it would be:

MT09

MT07

Z900

I want a naked bike but any suggestions would be great. I do like Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki, KTM, Honda. But open to other brands.

Thanks

I think it's a case of going out and testing a load. I tried the vstrom 1000 and BMW f800gt and I have to say neither of those did it for me. The BMW felt too sporty for me but great engine and the belt drive worked really well. The vstrom really felt its age and my wife really didn't like the pillion comfort. I tried shortlisting a few and looking at the mcn owner reviews then went for a blast on them

According to the dealer which I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm not allowed to test ride anything as I'd be a new rider. He said that's not his policy. I'd get that anywhere.

He said this after one of this team was showing me the ZX6R. He came along and said "I'm not selling you that. No, I won't allow it. You'll kill yourself".

I was bit taken a back as I was simply looking at it! I'm sure he had my safety in mind but his delivery is in such an arsey way.

I presume that's true? It's believable when I look at all the other crazy hurdles you have getting your motorbike licence vs car licence

According to the dealer which I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm not allowed to test ride anything as I'd be a new rider. He said that's not his policy. I'd get that anywhere.

He said this after one of this team was showing me the ZX6R. He came along and said "I'm not selling you that. No, I won't allow it. You'll kill yourself".

I was bit taken a back as I was simply looking at it! I'm sure he had my safety in mind but his delivery is in such an arsey way.

I presume that's true? It's believable when I look at all the other crazy hurdles you have getting your motorbike licence vs car licence

Find yourself a new dealer mate - this one is an idiot. Of course you can test ride.

Find yourself a new dealer mate - this one is an idiot. Of course you can test ride.

Thanks very much for letting me know. I did think it sounded strange. Didn't seem to make any sense. Makes me wonder if I turned up with cash in hand and said I'm not buying it without a test ride, what would he say? Funny thing is that although I've talked about PCP earlier, if I were to hang on until summer I'd have a chance of being able to afford it outright. Would love to see his face if I turned up with cash but say I've decided to go to the Yamaha main dealer up the road as they allowed me to test ride it!

Many main dealers won't allow test rides to anyone without having their license 12 months. Fairly common practice. Also, excess for a test ride is typically about £2k, so don't bin the bike!

Meh - me and my 3 mates all passed within the past 3 years and bought from different dealers and they all let us test ride - one mate didn't have an updated licence cos he'd only passed that morning - showed his das certificate! Big excess though yes.

If you prefer new bike with discount look for pre registered bikes, as well after Christmas and January could have more discounts. From April to end of August avoid if possible, that period prices are sky high.

Did you check for HP if you are ready to pay 20% deposit, no mileage restrictions, no hassle with the final purchase.

Many main dealers won't allow test rides to anyone without having their license 12 months. Fairly common practice. Also, excess for a test ride is typically about £2k, so don't bin the bike!

Haha! Yeah makes sense. Just the managers attitude is the problem. Doesn't make you want to buy from him

If you prefer new bike with discount look for pre registered bikes, as well after Christmas and January could have more discounts. From April to end of August avoid if possible, that period prices are sky high.

Did you check for HP if you are ready to pay 20% deposit, no mileage restrictions, no hassle with the final purchase.

Okay thanks. Yes, did look at HP or loan. Definitely realistic options.

As others said, find a new dealer. I popped to my local place 3 days before MOD2, looked at bikes and had a chat. Then, 1h after MOD2 I was doing paperwork to test drive almost new Ninja 650. There was no drama, excess was 1k, I managed not to stack it. TBH the guy didn't even check the bike after ride - he said it's a good sign of I'm not limping walking to his desk :)

This is also a very good time to buy a new Ninja650, they have them discounted by £1300 - I'm assuming end of the year, quiet season, shift inventory.