blind in one eye. can you still ride?? legaly

Guest neil

Hello

doe sanybody know if you can obtain a bike licence if you are blind in one eye

Same as a car licence, yes.

So long as you pass the eyesight test at the beginning of Mod 2, and so long as your eyesight isn't deficient to the point of adversely affecting your judgement of distance such that you are unable to ride safely, and lastly so long as your GP does not advise you to inform DVLA Medical Section (or whatever they call themselves this week).

a friend of mine is blind in one eye and he rides, as said if you can pass the eye test and your bike test then there is no reason why you cant, but i do think it affects your insurance a little :(

sorry to joke but what if you have big nose? or do you ride cock headed so you get a better view past your nose. I've just tried it and well I wouldn't see a car coming up my left/right side so I would have to ride turning my head towards the blind eye all the time. Neck would get real sore.

sorry to joke but what if you have big nose? or do you ride cock headed so you get a better view past your nose. I've just tried it and well I wouldn't see a car coming up my left/right side so I would have to ride turning my head towards the blind eye all the time. Neck would get real sore.

I'm sure that if you do suffer from some form of disablement you develop means of compensating for that disability!!

Hello

So long as you pass the eyesight test at the beginning of Mod 2, and so long as your eyesight isn't deficient to the point of adversely affecting your judgement of distance such that you are unable to ride safely, and lastly so long as your GP does not advise you to inform DVLA Medical Section (or whatever they call themselves this week).

I don't think it is the same, you have to go and do a spot test if you only have vision in one eye.

Don't know the legality, but in the 2 eye thing is only one depth cue of many and it does not affect your distance judgement all that much. So many depth cues. I was unfortunate enough to have had to do 1000s of tests in a university level experiment, to (re-)determine this well known fact :lol:

Hello

I don't think it is the same, you have to go and do a spot test if you only have vision in one eye.

I don't think it is the same either, I know it is.

Sight in one eye only and driving

Sight in one eye only is a condition that you may need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about. Find out which questionnaire you need to complete for the driving licence you hold.

Car or motorcycle driving licence holders

If you are a car or motorcycle driving licence holder - you will not need to tell DVLA about your medical condition.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/MedicalA-Z/DG_185766

thanks for all the response but I am happy to say that I past my medicsal at the hospital and they see no reason as to cancel my license. I lost my sight in my right eye 2 weeks ago due to a presure cooker but my right eye is still seeing excellent. have to wait to see if the left comes back.... Does anybody know a good lawyer??

You do need to inform the DVLA, who will revoke any licence you have until you do the spot test. To see what vision you have. I know this for a FACT.

A friend of mine had this done when a piece of metal punctured his eye at work leaving him blind in his left eye.

You do need to inform the DVLA, who will revoke any licence you have until you do the spot test. To see what vision you have. I know this for a FACT.

A friend of mine had this done when a piece of metal punctured his eye at work leaving him blind in his left eye.

According to the DVLA you do not need to inform the DVLA, just like I said up there ^^

If you are a car or motorcycle driving licence holder - you will not need to tell DVLA about your medical condition.

Once again, fact in conflict with misguided opinion :P

The FACt is you do have to inform the DVLA. my friend lost all his licences until he did the spot test.

Or go down the other route don't tell them. Have a accident then explain well I couldn't see properly I'm blind in one eye. Why didn't you inform us, oh a guy on the forum said I didn't have too.

Health conditions that could affect your driving

The law requires you to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about any condition that may affect your ability to drive safely. If you are involved in an accident and it is found that your health condition was a contributing factor, you may be prosecuted and your insurance may not be valid.

taken from DVLA website

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /index.htm

The FACt is you do have to inform the DVLA. my friend lost all his licences until he did the spot test.

Or go down the other route don't tell them. Have a accident then explain well I couldn't see properly I'm blind in one eye. Why didn't you inform us, oh a guy on the forum said I didn't have too.

Please get it right. I quoted the DVLA website which says you don't have to.

I rarely quote facts that I can't verify, and I often (as in this case) cite a verifiable source. Never do I use the line "my mate told me 'cos he had to so it must be true" :P

Health conditions that could affect your driving

The law requires you to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about any condition that may affect your ability to drive safely. If you are involved in an accident and it is found that your health condition was a contributing factor, you may be prosecuted and your insurance may not be valid.

taken from DVLA website

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /index.htm

Indeed, and if you read further down that same page it tells you that for a car or motorcycle licence holder there is no requirement to inform DVLA. Which is the other bit that I quoted in an earlier post :lol:

• 8 years later...

Old thread but possibly still relevant

A few years ago i developed unexplained double vision , which resulted in the opthmologist giving me an exclusive contact lens to effectively blind me in one eye

at the request of my then employer I contacted DVLA, and all they were interested in is whether i could still read a number plate at the required distance, when i said that i could, they closed the case with no further investigation required.

I have recently started riding a bike, although luckily, I had some further treatment last year and the double vision has gone ( except when i am very very tired)

I have one friend she's a legend who's been retired for longer than I want to know who still rides with her eye patch and does more miles than most in all but the worst weathers (she hasn't got car licence and wouldn't want one). Another who is not quite that blind but still rides, not certain who they have to tell but yes you can.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd be surprised how bad your eyesight can be and still be legal for on the road. Quite worrying really (I used to nurse older people so I've seen a bit of this).

I suppose the sensible answer is to keep up to date with your eye tests, we should all do this anyway once we get over about 40 because we can develop eye problems with no symptoms, which can be easily treated if detected early (nurse lecture over).

Blind in one eye should not stop you, especially if it's been going on a while so you've got used to compensating for it. As you will know, it's depth perception that can be the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys just joined the forum and noticed this post, just to let you know i lost my right eye when i was 18 and now i am 55 i ride a vfr 1200 and never had a accident. So you can ride a bike but just be careful .

Genuine question, but first some info.

When I was 20 ish I had a piece of steel flake go into my eye whilst grinding some metal. Hospital removed it and I had to wear an eye patch for about a week. At about the 4th day I suddenly felt I had normal vision as though my one working eye's information was translated by my brain as a 'full picture'. This happened a few times but only for a split second.

My question to [mention]Bigtee[/mention] and any other monocular folks is have you experienced this ?