Why i wouldn't use Sinnis again.

Glorian

Before i start, Not sure the forums policy on "Rants" But i feel i should put my point out on Sinnis.

So let's start from the beginning.

Mid 2013. my friend shows me the Sinnis cafe at a local dealer. I fall in love with the look of the bike, the dealer then tries to give some information (poorly informed i knew more than he did.. warning flag) after i convince my mum not to kick me out for doing my CBT i order my bik.

November 2013. I get the bike and go galavanting around great times.

December 2013 the first problem occurs. Rust on the underside of the tank causes a fuel leak stinking out my garden and my clothes, i report this to the dealer and sinnis both of whom refuse to do anything claiming it "was run over by a car" which seems odd with rust damage ? ANyway i need a new tank so i order a new one through a different dealer and was advised (by sinnis) end of february, fine it's a while but i can live with that, i glued up my tanks hole temporarily thinking i will have the new tank soon... how wrong i could be..

January 2014. My bike died at sainsburys today, My parents were away so i had no choice but to wheel it 5 miles home, found out it was the fuse blew but not why.. So i replaced it and off i went.

A week later. The bike died again today as i pulled out of a junction, thankfully no cars were near and i didn't die. I pushed over to the side of the road and got the side panel off and changed the fuse (which had blown again), I got home not far away this time. I decided as i had used all my fuses i would head to halfords and pick a packet up. It's a nice day so why not. I got to halfords got my fuses went to pull off. Dead. Bike fuse had blown AGAIN. so i tried this once more got about 1 mile down the road went to pull off at some traffic lights and boom.. Dead. I had enough now. So i pushed it to a quiet carpark and called my dad (electrician in his younger days) to come help me out. After about an hour in the dark cold at 7pm we managed to find water had got into the electrics. Joy. We tied each cable up seperately to keep it from shorting, and managed to ride home. I had to take it to my dealer who on this one occasion said they could claim this under warranty. So after 3 weeks without my main transport i got it back and still no fuel tank..

Edit Forgot to mention the chain guard. Around this time my chain came off while i was riding (after being tightened only a week before) and ripped the chain guard off. Sinnis's opinion? You don't maintain the bike correctly.

March 2014 - April 2014 , Constantly ringing sinnis to find my fuel tank and i hear nothing. "We'll get it next week" "We're waiting to hear from the factory" "We suck" ok that last one was made up.. but seriously we're going on 2 months late... But this is not my only problem, On my way to work one morning i noticed my indicator light on my bike was flashing fast. I thought "Oh the bulb has blown maybe? good thing i have a spare" Well a spare would do me no good here. As the ENTIRE. INDICATOR. WAS. GONE. I looked and the bolt that held the cowl, seat, indicator, and grab bar had come out or snapped or something amazing (beamed by aliens?) so my indicator had dropped. smacked my wheel and gone flying off somewhere along the A12. Good job.

April 2014. Having my second service done. I get to go pick the bike up from the garage. The bloke says to me "You're chain is filthy mate" my reaction of puzzlement is clear as i clean my chain once a month thoroughly and give it a good lubing to make sure nothing goes wrong. The bloke says i need a new chain as it has stretched so far and is rusting. Good work sinnis quality product you have there. So i had to spent £50 on a new chain and rear sprocket. 2500 miles and a new chain already. Amazing..

And here we are at the present day. I have had a crash so there is damage to the bike. i'm working on it all but i'm trying to get parts.. I STILL do not have my tank nearly 6 months later 3 months over the promise date. And i still don't have a manual to show me the wiring diagram! When i ring sinnis what do i get? "Parts department doesn't start till 10:30 call back then" *Click*

Amazing service. I will never buy another sinnis product again mostly due to the quality of service you get from this company that has "Parts and labour backup you can rely on" Enjoy the ride? I wish.

Sorry for the rant. But i feel it had to be said. I don't want anyone to end up with a horrible product like mine that hemmorages money.

Sorry to hear you've been bitten. Slum it with the old bike for now, and do your tests ASAP and get something bigger!! And don't expect parts availability to be any better if you go for a BMW :lol:

Have you tried Llexeter for parts? They're reasonably good for chinese bike parts, and very quick to deliver.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/

I am trying SO HARD not to post quotes from old threads and say "I told you so".

Definately doing the bigger test get myself a suzuki or a honda.. Something reliable and i can get parts for :)

I have used them actually for my new chain/sprocket VERY good service :) Only part i need though is the fuel tank and i dont think they sell it. :(

Couple of things I don't understand...

Rust bad enough to make a hole in the tank, yet the bike was only a few months old?

If the tank had been run over it woud be in a very bad shape, not just have a rust hole! Trading standards surely?

Fuse blows once on a new bike - happens, but warning signs. Happens again, obviously something wrong check it out or get it checked. Remember, just repacing fuses doesn't solve the probem.

Chain that loose, i would recommend before you get on your bike check the chain with the toe of your boot a couple of times a week.

Bits falling off! I'm guessing you don't do massive miles each journey, so it should have appeared 'floppy' or loose previously. For a short while it would have been hanging by the wire, thought you would have noticed that even if riding about?!

Anyway, a massive downer. Have you tried a breakers for the tank?

Hope you have better luck with the next bike :)

Nige

Couple of things I don't understand...

Rust bad enough to make a hole in the tank, yet the bike was only a few months old?

If the tank had been run over it woud be in a very bad shape, not just have a rust hole! Trading standards surely?

Fuse blows once on a new bike - happens, but warning signs. Happens again, obviously something wrong check it out or get it checked. Remember, just repacing fuses doesn't solve the probem.

Chain that loose, i would recommend before you get on your bike check the chain with the toe of your boot a couple of times a week.

Bits falling off! I'm guessing you don't do massive miles each journey, so it should have appeared 'floppy' or loose previously. For a short while it would have been hanging by the wire, thought you would have noticed that even if riding about?!

Anyway, a massive downer. Have you tried a breakers for the tank?

Hope you have better luck with the next bike :)

Nige

The fuse blowing problem was as a new rider i dont really have much knowledge on problems / their solutions so that was the only one i could think off. Was trying to just get home.

I check the chain every time now to make sure but the fact it loosened off that quickly is poor.

as for bits falling off i didn't notice it but i don't go and give all the parts a good shake to make sure they're on tight.

No luck at breakers but am unable to ride for about 2 months anyway.

Sorry to hear you had so much grief with the bike.

When I saw this video the other day, I thought that guy surely is exaggerating by quite some margin, but maybe he wasn't...

">

(Warning, it's probably only fun to watch if you do NOT own a Chinese bike...)

Chinese bikes are great if you know what you're buying and are handy with a spanner. otherwise they're terrible. From a distance, they look great. up close- they look a little shoddy. Would I buy one? no. I'd save the money and buy something Japanese. The problem is, they look really appealing to new riders - they're cheap to buy and insure.

Every time the same thing happens!

Rookie: This bike is cheap and looks good

Me: Don't, you will have problems

Rookie: Can't be that bad?

Me: It will be

Rookie: I'm sure things have gotten better.

6 months later

Rookie: WHY DID I BUY THIS BIKE!?

Me:....lol

Here are some reasons I think people buy them for. Maybe one or many of them.

1. Cheap as chips

2. Comes with a "warranty" (I use that term loosely)

3. Looks as good as the Japanese bikes

4. Only a learner bike, what could go wrong so fast?

Here is something I try every time to stress to noobies...

1. A 2nd hand Japanese bike is cheap as chips

2. Dealers will give a 3 month warranty on a 2nd hand bike and if it's used but loved, it's well proven and good to go.

3. Looks good, but unlike the chinese bike won't be a puddle of rust if left outside a year on.

4. Hold their value far better, my 50 and 125's lost no money, in fact, one sold for £200 more.

I defer you to the last line of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCfYWELLwZY

I think the price thing is a biggie for newbies definitely - you feel you're getting something better for your money if it's brand new + warranty. And then look at a Japanese bike for the same price that looks like it needs a bit of love, and you don't know if it's been looked after/if it's gonna have a major issue that might cause you to have an accident/pay out fortunes (I never knew that dealers offer warranties with second hand bikes a couple of years ago)...and logic says the Chinese is the better deal. Oh well, I'm sure Glorian has learnt more about bikes through his ordeal and I urge you to put a review of it up - and defo agree with taking it to Trading Standards.

I almost bought a Sinnis something or other, then my family all chipped in and got me the Kymco Zing as a surprise. Which tbf is still plodding along quite happily today with PertolHead looking after her, and about 12 years old I think. So yeah, not so bad if you like to tinker, I'm sure some are better than others - but I would always recommend Jap bikes to anyone in the future. 8-)

I think the price thing is a biggie for newbies definitely - you feel you're getting something better for your money if it's brand new + warranty. And then look at a Japanese bike for the same price that looks like it needs a bit of love, and you don't know if it's been looked after/if it's gonna have a major issue that might cause you to have an accident/pay out fortunes (I never knew that dealers offer warranties with second hand bikes a couple of years ago)...and logic says the Chinese is the better deal. Oh well, I'm sure Glorian has learnt more about bikes through his ordeal and I urge you to put a review of it up - and defo agree with taking it to Trading Standards.

I almost bought a Sinnis something or other, then my family all chipped in and got me the Kymco Zing as a surprise. Which tbf is still plodding along quite happily today with PertolHead looking after her, and about 12 years old I think. So yeah, not so bad if you like to tinker, I'm sure some are better than others - but I would always recommend Jap bikes to anyone in the future.

8-)

Definately. i did want something i didnt want to have to spend to much time maintaining except the basics. but fate is a tricky git... I do have a review up not a great one.. but the bike hasnt been that big a problem it was sinnis themselves refusing to help and never getting the parts in!

Also trading standards wont do jack because it's been in a crash. :S Either way i kinda want rid of it soon hopefully once i pass DAS i can give it to a dealer for a pack of gum..

Definately. i did want something i didnt want to have to spend to much time maintaining except the basics. but fate is a tricky git... I do have a review up not a great one.. but the bike hasnt been that big a problem it was sinnis themselves refusing to help and never getting the parts in!

Also trading standards wont do jack because it's been in a crash. :S Either way i kinda want rid of it soon hopefully once i pass DAS i can give it to a dealer for a pack of gum..

Still worth mentioning -might prevent someone going through what you did. Good luck with it all lovely :cheers:

You took a chance and sadly it did not work out. You take a chance buying anything mechanical. It is sad about Sinnis as the whole point was a UK company promising Chinese bikes with proper quality control and back up service. That is where they have let you and themselves down.

To be honest you weren't really that assertive when going back to have the faults recitified. If the fuel tank had started leaking after such a short period I would have taken the bike back to the dealers, insisted they fixed it and if they refused then I'd get trading standards involved. I would never just sit back, let it ride and buy a new tank out of my own money.

I almost bought a Sinnis something or other, then my family all chipped in and got me the Kymco Zing as a surprise. Which tbf is still plodding along quite happily today with PertolHead looking after her, and about 12 years old I think. So yeah, not so bad if you like to tinker, I'm sure some are better than others - but I would always recommend Jap bikes to anyone in the future.

8-)

14 years old.. 13k miles on the clock..

Taiwanese, chinese.. whatever you call it.. Its running like a baby, and i love it :D

I looked at the sinnis cafe racer and I agree it looks great but that was all . If I had gone with my heart I would of bought it . My local bike garage will not touch Chinese bikes and I trust them guys . Definitely I would go to trading standards though, you were obviously sold something that was not satisfactory built.

You take your chances with chinese bikes, They are slapped together in factories with no quality assurance. That doesnt mean they are all bad.

My first bike was chinese, though I will admit when I bought it I knew nothing about bikes. However it held up ( barely) for about 5 or 6 years before I sold it on, very little maintanence involved as I didnt know what I was doing, kept outdoors without a cover. Still though, that thing was abused and kept on running, I bet it would have put many japanese bikes to shame if kept and run under the same conditions.

I would never buy another though, far too many horror stories and I suspect the fact mine kept running despite the abuse was down to having no electrics and being as basic as they get.

I would love to go trading standards but i have spoken with them a few times and they cannot do anything as the bike has been in an accident so i technically have no evidence the bike was ever unfit for use :(

Further more. I have been trying to get a wiring diagram all day yesterday and was told it would be emailed/faxed to me / my mum 4 times and heard nothing. So more mucking me around. Also while i was in a local dealer of sinnis i saw them building a new cafe racer for a customer... now how can they build a new one with a new tank yet i still dont have my tank 5 months on? Feel mugged off now..

I swear the only person who hasn't had major issues with Chinese bikes

Is YouTube moto vlogger Spicy110

He had some issues with Betty. Plastics etc breaking..

But that's not too bad tbh and that was one of the older model pulse adrenaline

But that's not too bad tbh and that was one of the older model pulse adrenaline

true that!

Honda cbr 125r 0% finance till the end of june I think

don't think i'd buy a bike on finance.

The real question is "would you buy a brand new bike?"

If you would buy a brand new bike, then you are already resigned to the fact that it will instatly be worth less than you paid.

So if you are happy with losing money - why not take out 0% finance and lose someone elses money instead of you own?