A bit of fun on the subject of tyres

TC1474

<t>Is this tyre Legal or illegal</t>  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is this tyre Legal or illegal

• Legal
    • Illegal

Following on from the thread about tyre mix, I thought you might enjoy thinking about this one.

49cc Moped. Is this tyre legal or illegal?

Remember I know the answer so I don't need the regulations and law thrown at me nor the moral rights and wrongs of riding on a tyre like this :wink:

I thought for those of you less experienced, you might enjoy debating it and the question is quite simple. Legal or illegal?

1235019564_BaldScooterTyre.thumb.JPG.f197d117ae494565310e5fe2cf071917.JPG

So it needs to have 1mm tread over 3/4" of the width for the entire circumference, with visible tread on the remaining 1/4. Seems illegal to me according to that.

That's for bikes greater than 50cc..

So it needs to have 1mm tread over 3/4" of the width for the entire circumference, with visible tread on the remaining 1/4. Seems illegal to me according to that.

That's for bikes greater than 50cc..

dammit I edited the post, but you quoted me too fast :x

Considering you have to have 1mm tread on over 70% of the tyre... I'm going to vote... Illegal!

It's a 49cc ;) so it makes it tricky. As said above it only needs to have all original grooves visible for that size. So have to decide if it counts or not.

If a lot of us had anything to say it'd be illegal but there is probably some silly thing that lets this pass as legal.

I've cheated by previously attending a talk where TC mentioned this :wink: so I know the answer and have voted accordingly

Thank you for your honesty :thumb: :) After I posted the thread I suddenly remembered that there would be one member on here who knows the answer :wink:

I will trust you to not :blah: :blah: :blah: :)

The Road Traffic Act 1988 does not give a definition of what is "unroadworthy", but instead makes reference to the following areas that, if not satisfactory, may lead to a vehicle being unroadworthy :-

* Steering and steering gear

* Brakes and braking systems

* Tyres;

* Exhaust systems;

* Seatbelts and seatbelt anchorages;

* General condition (corrosion, suspension etc).

In short a vehicle may be classed as being unroadworthy if it is in such a condition that its use on the road would endanger the driver, passengers, other road users or pedestrians. There are also regulations, which, set out construction requirements for various components such as brakes, steering, gears, tyres, construction, weight and equipment of the vehicle. If a vehicle fails to meet the requirements it may also be considered unroadworthy.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 does not give a definition of what is "unroadworthy", but instead makes reference to the following areas that, if not satisfactory, may lead to a vehicle being unroadworthy :-

* Tyres;

* Exhaust systems;

In short a vehicle may be classed as being unroadworthy if it is in such a condition that its use on the road would endanger the driver, passengers, other road users or pedestrians. There are also regulations, which, set out construction requirements for various components such as brakes, steering, gears, tyres, construction, weight and equipment of the vehicle. If a vehicle fails to meet the requirements it may also be considered unroadworthy.

but thats not an answer, come on, legal or illegal?

The Road Traffic Act 1988 does not give a definition of what is "unroadworthy"

That is all defined by the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and many subsequent amendments.

* Tyres;

* Exhaust systems;

but thats not an answer, come on, legal or illegal?

The law is not watertight, it's defined by how a court interprets it, and what legislation they are interpreting at the time. How your average magistrate would interpret that tyre? I'm sure you can figure that out. TC will be able to tell us if there is any precedent, but I guess he's keeping quiet since it's his game.

Edited by Anonymous