Need to get a better picture

TC1474

<t>Who has been involved in a crash caused as a result of loose gravel or poor re-surfacing?</t>  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been involved in a crash caused as a result of loose gravel or poor re-surfacing?

• Involved in an injury crash
    • Involved in a damage only crash
    • I have not been involved directly but I know people who have
    • Been involved in more than one crash caused by loose gravel or poor re-surfacing

You may recall a few weeks ago I asked what campaign you would like to see run relative to motorcycling safety.

The overwhelming feedback I got was loose gravel and poor re-surfacing/re-dressing of road surfaces. Something that has not been looked at much in the past.

Well, we are looking to at this as our potential motorcycle safety campaign for 2017. However, in order to get some decent ammunition, I need to get an idea of how many people have been affected by poorly resurfaced roads and/or loose chippings. This does not include pot holes which is a different issue and which already has various campaigns up and running.

So, you response to the poll/survey would be appreciated, and also an indication as to whether you would be prepared to share your story for our website and campaign material, whatever that might be when decided on.

Injury crash (some daft bint turning across my path at a crossroads), and I'd be more than happy to complain about it for hours if you were daft enough to give me an excuse :lol:

Where does the road surface come into play? :lol:

Came off once on some gravel at a junction. No injury, and the only damage was an additional scratch to a well-scratched bike and hole in my jeans.

TC, to clarify.....

Do you want to know everyone who's ever crashed on any patch of loose gravel (probably quite a few)

Or are you only interested in people who have crashed on surface dressing? (probably very few)

The key difference being a stray patch of gravel can take a rider by surprise and cause a crash, surface dressing as annoying as people may find it for a few weeks each summer, is much less likely to.

Need an option for "Have yet to crash but have had a few moments which required a change of CKs shortly thereafter and it's clear it's likely to be only a matter of time before a crash if things continue to deteriorate".

Not a fan of gravel at all. Gerontious and I experienced more than a few gravel strewn roads in Le France last week, some involving hairpins. We managed ok but it took some smooth riding to get through. Bit of a learning curve but not something I particularly enjoyed.

Sunday couple of days ago. Not me though. Was a group ride and happe6nes before i got to that bend. One of our member took the bend. Didn't see the gravel rode over it back wheel slid and he went. Handlebar bent, a few of us pulled the bar so that he could ride it as best as he could. Good thing he didn't go over the metal rail and over the steep hill.

Never crashed due to poor road surfacing, but possibly only because I go out of my way to avoid the worst roads for gravel everywhere, and have spent hours researching on how to ride on gravel, then testing it out (both intentionally and otherwise).

This has just reminded me, theres a 40mph road near me on a decent sized hill. They've just done the surface and left it full of gravel - I thought they were going to put a top coat on it like they usually do. However they've painted the lines back on, so we're basically stuck with a road full of gravel now :shock: pretty busy major route too.

Signs near me warning of loose chippings have a picture of a 70's style motorbike and the words "take care".. wonder if that's their attemp to wiggle out of any legal action?

Not voting either Mawsley because IMO general loose gravel, and resurfacing are two completely different issues, so a poll question which asks about either/or is invalid. Can't have a safety campaign that encompasses both as one is dangerous and the other one isn't.

I have crashed on loose stray gravel, though it wasn't really due to the gravel, i was due to me being an idiot and no leaving myself enough room for error to avoid it.

I've never crashed on road surfacing, and don't know anyone who has either. Heard lots of moaning, but not heard of anyone crashing.