Help to find "the" bike

CTRdemon

Hi all,

I am try and find my late fathers motorbike. I remembered it the other day in conversation with someone. The memories came flooding back, the trips we took on it, they were some great times, so I am looking for it.

I am currently missing 1 vital bit of information, the reg! I know this is a long shot, however I want to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later while I search for pics to confirm the reg.

UPDATE: I found the reg! It is EF02 ZKJ.

The motorbike:

It is a 2002 Ducati Monster S4 in Red. It was originally purchased in Marks Tey, Essex (and the shop has since gone! ) It had loads of extras on it, carbon fibre, mushrooms, comms system, auto chain oiler, steering dampener, and micro dots bloody everywhere (of course these could have been removed/replaced over time) and a scratch on the right can (from a brush with brickwork). That is all the info I currently have.

The outcome that I am hoping for is to find out where it is, if it is for sale currently, if not, get in touch with the owner to say "give me a ring if you want to sell it".

I hope someone can help

Cheers!

Edited by CTRdemon

To be honest, there are going to be loads of bikes that meet that description, and it's going to be really hard to track it without a reg plate (or perhaps a VIN would do) :( Have you got any old photos of the bike that show the plate?

Yeah, it is going to be really tough at the moment. I am sure I have a photo somewhere. I will just need to get to the boxes and have a dig through to see. As soon as I find it I will post it on here.

with the number plate you can run it through the gov vehicle check to see if it's MOT 'd and taxed. if it is yay, if not it's either in a shed or gone to the great scrapheap in the sky :(

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Thanks for the tip! I guess I will also be able to track down the MOT stations location too so I know the general area which will help narrow the search.

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I will make it my mission this week to find a photo with the reg!

I know that is a possibility, its crossed my mind :( I am hoping it is still on the road or at worse SORN. :|

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Just a quick update (although there isn't much to update).

I have searched high and low for any photos of the bike and I can't find ANY! I will keep looking and hopefully come across some. When I do, I will post back here!

If you find the reg number just apply for a new log book in your name and see if it arrives. If it does it will have the last keeper's address on there. I've never tried that or know for sure it works but that's what I've been told.

If you find the reg number another thing you could try is searching the MOT history. The DVLA have changed the way they display old MOT history. It now gives you the garage name and address, instead of just the MOT test centre number.

As most people will MOT a vehicle near where they live. You could then set up a saved search on Gumtree, and eBay for that vehicle. If you put a limit on within say 15 miles, if it comes up for sale you might stand a chance.

• 4 months later...

I want to find my old bike isnt a good enough reason for dvla to give you info.

Yeah it wasn’t, but worth a try.

W

My search still continues!

Have you posted on the Ducati Minster Forum ? You'll have to register obviously.

• 1 month later...

I want to find my old bike isnt a good enough reason for dvla to give you info.

W

Have you posted on the Ducati Minster Forum ? You'll have to register obviously.

Thanks, I have been on there too but had little luck without the reg number.

But I am back again with a pretty important update... i have the reg!!

EF02 ZKJ

I jumped straight on the MOT history and it is still on the road (but no test centre listed)! However... I know a guy and he was able to help :thumb:

It was last tested by Ace Motorcycles in Bude. I will give them a call to see if they can help!

Another step closer!

W

Thanks, I have been on there too but had little luck without the reg number.

But I am back again with a pretty important update... i have the reg!!

EF02 ZKJ

I jumped straight on the MOT history and it is still on the road (but no test centre listed)! However... I know a guy and he was able to help :thumb:

It was last tested by Ace Motorcycles in Bude. I will give them a call to see if they can help!

Another step closer!

But an 02 bike is not Y reg ?

To be fair Y reg was 2001 so they were close :lol:

I used to go to Bude on holiday, lovely part of the country. Had the best ice cream shop and a clock shop that had this crazy ball bearing clock that I would watch for as long as Hoggfather would let me... sorry went off on one there :lol:

Good luck with the search!

I wasn't too far off then :D

Haha :lol: If I go down there to collect the bike, I will ask for the name of that ice cream shop :thumb:

I’ve called the garage and they’ve kindly said they will pass on a message to the owner for me. All I can do is wait and hope they get in touch at some point. Fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Still no luck, but I haven't given up hope. I've got watches setup on Gumtree, Auto trader and ebay to see if it goes up for sale! Is there anywhere else I should be watching?

• 1 year later...

Hi, just a quick update (over 1 year on). After contacting Ace Motorcycles in Bude (calls and emails) they've not been helpful. Bude is a good 5hrs drive from me otherwise I'd have popped in to speak to them face to face. Anyway, Ive been checking and the bike is now SORN.

I'm not sure where to go from here, keep watching the classifieds? Unless anyone has any other suggestions? So close yet so far.

Thanks all