New 125cc Bike not sure about the exhaust

LifeofPhil

So I got my self my first Bike this week (lexmoto aspire 125) off a private seller. He modified the bike with a fat Lextec exhaust and from what I understand it makes the bike louder.

Dose this serve any to do anything other than make the bike sound bigger than it is?

I was thinking it might be good to alert other road users of my presence but aide from that dose it do anything?

would it be worth swapping it back to the original exhaust pipe (if i can find one)?

p.s first post! woop woop! :D

Not an expert (at all!) but as I understand it an exhaust can make a difference depending on the air intake set up and how the engine is tuned. To be honest on a 125 I doubt it would make any difference either way aside from the sound...

I don't know if applies to your engine but I've heard of some aftermarket exhausts causing an increase in oil consumption. Just in case yours shows higher oil use than it should. Otherwise if it works ok I'd leave it, having a slightly more noticeable exhaust can be helpful.

I hope you've posted to the newbies section to introduce yourself - Welcome to the forum.

The zorst needs to be loud. Loud pipes save lives. I got an unbaffled exhaust on my triumph, and it isn't massively loud, but it certainly alerts people when I'm near. I am betting it saved my skin. Especially since most people's eyes are glued to their phones, instead of the road.

You want your exhaust to make a bit of noise because its easier to be mentally in tune with your bike when you can hear what it's saying to you rather than looking down at the clocks . Plus if its a bit shagged you don't worry about the rattles so much. Also good for dispersing sheep on remote Welsh roads or discouraging deer from dashing in front of you . May even save the odd badger.

Car drivers won't hear it through wound up windows with the stereo playing.

I'll take this bet :twisted:

I would too, but then we don't ride Chinese 125's!

Edited by Joeman

May even save the odd badger.

Is badger bashing a common occurrence? Imagine the biker wont come off well in a high speed badger impact. lol

I do see a lot of dead ones on my travels and you wouldn't want to hit one at speed because they are pretty solid.

Is badger bashing a common occurrence? Imagine the biker wont come off well in a high speed badger impact. lol

I do see a lot of dead ones on my travels and you wouldn't want to hit one at speed because they are pretty solid.

They sure are pretty solid, my mum hit one in her Mini many moons ago. The Mini was a right mess, the whole front was stoved in. Poor little thing was a write off.

• 2 years later...

It f**king happend.

Early this morning about 2 am came round a corner it ran across me and couldn't stop quick enough,

Had to abandon the bike. I'm OK bandger and Honda ....not so well

It f**king happend.

Early this morning about 2 am came round a corner it ran across me and couldn't stop quick enough,

Had to abandon the bike. I'm OK bandger and Honda ....not so well

Sorry to hear of your off. Much damage?

I'm impressed you remembered this thread, it's not like it's title is about running over badgers.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of damage, but I don't have time to fix it right now.

I looked it over the next morning and the hand guards smashed off, indicators hanging off and the shift levers curled in on itself like a snail, and for some strange reason the bar end that didn't hit the ground is gone. standard scratches, and I suspect the wheel alignment's out but will not know until I get a day off in Jan to properly look at it.

Found a badger tooth where I crashed but no badger so he might have got up spat out a tooth and muttered a few swear words and walked off. that or he was recycled by the foxes and crows.