RC MC eh?

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
Message
Author
User avatar
MarkW
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:52 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): BMW K1600GT SE
Location: Harrogate
Has Liked: 399 times
Been Liked: 1084 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#151 Post by MarkW » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 am

Joeman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:37 am
These people wouldnt last five minutes in a stressful environment if their only means of communication is through displays of anger and threats of violence.
Precisely. I used to know a guy whose first response to any problem was to get right in your face and threaten to rip your head off. He was nastiness personified - a truly pathetic individual who was universally despised. He was fired from job after job because he couldn't resolve any conflict like an intelligent adult, and eventually tried his hard man tactics on someone who flattened him.
And there was much rejoicing. :cheers:
"There are three basic rules of travelling. Travel on the ground. Travel alone when possible. Keep notes. That's it." – Paul Theroux

User avatar
Slowlycatchymonkey
Posts: 2901
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:49 am
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Location: Somerset
Challenge Score: 130
Has Liked: 1006 times
Been Liked: 1130 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#152 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 am

@goat Ok I’m in but can the patches have little cupcakes on them?
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

User avatar
goat
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): None
Location: North east london
Has Liked: 1719 times
Been Liked: 903 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#153 Post by goat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 am
@goat Ok I’m in but can the patches have little cupcakes on them?
You're going to look pretty damn tough in your 900 layers with a cupcake patch. Heaven help anyone who crosses us, as soon as I've cut the crusts off the triangle sandwiches I'll be on em like a cherry on a bakewell.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker.

User avatar
Six30
Wannabe MOD
Posts: 6045
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Triump Speed Triple r
Location: In Rennies wardrobe
Has Liked: 1645 times
Been Liked: 2862 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#154 Post by Six30 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:02 am

No motorcycle gang messes with me .... I got an Orangutan .
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

griptwister
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha xj900
Location: Manchester
Been Liked: 97 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#155 Post by griptwister » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I may have explained it badly.

Gang cultures exist in a civilised society, it is not about mindless violence although sometimes that happens, it is not about spending your time looking for ways to prove your manhood.

It is simply being responsible being strong reliable and decent treating people well and defending them, the qualities that we look up to in society but somehow seem sadly lacking. And unfortunately gangs tend to attract violence form other gangs. The shit sometimes does hit the fan and you have to man up when that happens. All that is seen then is the violence.

I remember reading a letter of thanks from a scooter rider who was in very real and immediate danger from a car being driven at him intending to wipe him out, a case of road rage gone very bad. A biker gang saw this and surrounded the car and dragged the motorist from his vehicle and gave him the pasting he deserved. They were not posturing they were not committing acts of mindless violence. They saw a fellow rider not part of their gang was in danger and acted. I would hope I would do the same.

I myself many times have stepped in to help people I am not looking for thanks by saying this, I'm not trying to get respect, its what you do if you are responsible and I would expect all of you would do the same. The reason I tell you this is I was shocked by the number of people who told me I was stupid and should have avoided the situation basically telling me to run away from danger and not help the victim. If you were being mugged wouldn't you want passers by to stop and help you rather than cover their face and walk swiftly past. Many people in our "civilised" society walk on past, it is a national disgrace.

There are gangs everywhere in the world and they are not confined to the schoolyard. They are often like minded folk who want to share their interests but formalised into a kind of family. They also can be hooligans and worse. But one thing unites them caring for the other members and the understanding that you will defend them no question.

West Side Story was about gang culture, about a man who had realised the futility of it and left the gang, then he was called back because of family and was compelled to defend the gang and then lost his life. Such things still happen in real life and they happen in England.

I am not trying here to paint a rosy picture of gangs and gang culture, I am also not trying to paint a rosy picture of me I don't need that, I am simply explaining however badly the thinking and motives of gangs as I have experienced them.

I would ask you to remember that the Royal Society of Chartered Accountants, the Masons, the Conservative Party, the BBC, and the local darts team are also gangs,

Gangs are everywhere and are not just Bikers or Football hooligans.

The sense of camaraderie and the demand to act correctly at all times and to defend other members exists in all gangs, but the threat of violence only exists in some.

User avatar
Six30
Wannabe MOD
Posts: 6045
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Triump Speed Triple r
Location: In Rennies wardrobe
Has Liked: 1645 times
Been Liked: 2862 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#156 Post by Six30 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:27 pm

There’s a viscous gang of keep left signs at the end of my road ....

"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

fastbob
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2749 times
Been Liked: 2428 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#157 Post by fastbob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Six30 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:02 am
No motorcycle gang messes with me .... I got an Orangutan .
" Left turn Clyde "

fastbob
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2749 times
Been Liked: 2428 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#158 Post by fastbob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:51 pm

griptwister wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm
I may have explained it badly.

Gang cultures exist in a civilised society, it is not about mindless violence although sometimes that happens, it is not about spending your time looking for ways to prove your manhood.

It is simply being responsible being strong reliable and decent treating people well and defending them, the qualities that we look up to in society but somehow seem sadly lacking. And unfortunately gangs tend to attract violence form other gangs. The shit sometimes does hit the fan and you have to man up when that happens. All that is seen then is the violence.

I remember reading a letter of thanks from a scooter rider who was in very real and immediate danger from a car being driven at him intending to wipe him out, a case of road rage gone very bad. A biker gang saw this and surrounded the car and dragged the motorist from his vehicle and gave him the pasting he deserved. They were not posturing they were not committing acts of mindless violence. They saw a fellow rider not part of their gang was in danger and acted. I would hope I would do the same.

I myself many times have stepped in to help people I am not looking for thanks by saying this, I'm not trying to get respect, its what you do if you are responsible and I would expect all of you would do the same. The reason I tell you this is I was shocked by the number of people who told me I was stupid and should have avoided the situation basically telling me to run away from danger and not help the victim. If you were being mugged wouldn't you want passers by to stop and help you rather than cover their face and walk swiftly past. Many people in our "civilised" society walk on past, it is a national disgrace.

There are gangs everywhere in the world and they are not confined to the schoolyard. They are often like minded folk who want to share their interests but formalised into a kind of family. They also can be hooligans and worse. But one thing unites them caring for the other members and the understanding that you will defend them no question.

West Side Story was about gang culture, about a man who had realised the futility of it and left the gang, then he was called back because of family and was compelled to defend the gang and then lost his life. Such things still happen in real life and they happen in England.

I am not trying here to paint a rosy picture of gangs and gang culture, I am also not trying to paint a rosy picture of me I don't need that, I am simply explaining however badly the thinking and motives of gangs as I have experienced them.

I would ask you to remember that the Royal Society of Chartered Accountants, the Masons, the Conservative Party, the BBC, and the local darts team are also gangs,

Gangs are everywhere and are not just Bikers or Football hooligans.

The sense of camaraderie and the demand to act correctly at all times and to defend other members exists in all gangs, but the threat of violence only exists in some.
Oh just give it a rest please , this a forum for adults who love motorbikes .

User avatar
Joeman
Posts: 11548
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 2:25 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Location: Sevenoaks, UK
Has Liked: 2014 times
Been Liked: 1674 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#159 Post by Joeman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:47 pm

griptwister wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm

The sense of camaraderie and the demand to act correctly at all times and to defend other members exists in all gangs, but the threat of violence only exists in some.
Defend from what?? In a civilised society there is no need to defend from other civilised people..

Take a step back and think about the violent conflicts you claim to have been involved in and look at the route cause.. was it really worth it?? Was gang-on-gang warfare really required?? Probably not.
Image

User avatar
Throttled
Posts: 4528
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Location: Renfrewshire
Has Liked: 309 times
Been Liked: 461 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#160 Post by Throttled » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

It could be worse. USA!

Where you are at as much danger from the police as anyone else.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

mikestrivens
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 am
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Location: Peak District nr. Stockport
Has Liked: 817 times
Been Liked: 920 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#161 Post by mikestrivens » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 pm

There is no place for vigilante behaviour.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Muttly
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Lexmoto Falcon 125
Location: Birmingham
Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 214 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#162 Post by Muttly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:51 pm

griptwister wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm
I may have explained it badly.

Gang cultures exist in a civilised society, it is not about mindless violence although sometimes that happens, it is not about spending your time looking for ways to prove your manhood.

It is simply being responsible being strong reliable and decent treating people well and defending them, the qualities that we look up to in society but somehow seem sadly lacking. And unfortunately gangs tend to attract violence form other gangs. The shit sometimes does hit the fan and you have to man up when that happens. All that is seen then is the violence.

I remember reading a letter of thanks from a scooter rider who was in very real and immediate danger from a car being driven at him intending to wipe him out, a case of road rage gone very bad. A biker gang saw this and surrounded the car and dragged the motorist from his vehicle and gave him the pasting he deserved. They were not posturing they were not committing acts of mindless violence. They saw a fellow rider not part of their gang was in danger and acted. I would hope I would do the same.

I myself many times have stepped in to help people I am not looking for thanks by saying this, I'm not trying to get respect, its what you do if you are responsible and I would expect all of you would do the same. The reason I tell you this is I was shocked by the number of people who told me I was stupid and should have avoided the situation basically telling me to run away from danger and not help the victim. If you were being mugged wouldn't you want passers by to stop and help you rather than cover their face and walk swiftly past. Many people in our "civilised" society walk on past, it is a national disgrace.

There are gangs everywhere in the world and they are not confined to the schoolyard. They are often like minded folk who want to share their interests but formalised into a kind of family. They also can be hooligans and worse. But one thing unites them caring for the other members and the understanding that you will defend them no question.

West Side Story was about gang culture, about a man who had realised the futility of it and left the gang, then he was called back because of family and was compelled to defend the gang and then lost his life. Such things still happen in real life and they happen in England.

I am not trying here to paint a rosy picture of gangs and gang culture, I am also not trying to paint a rosy picture of me I don't need that, I am simply explaining however badly the thinking and motives of gangs as I have experienced them.

I would ask you to remember that the Royal Society of Chartered Accountants, the Masons, the Conservative Party, the BBC, and the local darts team are also gangs,

Gangs are everywhere and are not just Bikers or Football hooligans.

The sense of camaraderie and the demand to act correctly at all times and to defend other members exists in all gangs, but the threat of violence only exists in some.
I suspect you explained yourself well and accurately protrayed your view. After that lots of people, having understood your eloquent discription, describes it as a silly view.

I have never understood why anyone or any group thinks that they should be exempt from the laws of the land. Assault and intimidation are illegal.
I am very well respected in my playground (figurative) because I am a nice, compassionate, hard working and diligent human being. I do not resort to intimidation but rather respect it if others cannot agree with my opinion.
I think gang culture is a complex issue, I can understand why people might view being in a gang as attractive when described as you have.but is not like that, it is criminal activity and enterprise.

fastbob
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2749 times
Been Liked: 2428 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#163 Post by fastbob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 pm

" I would ask you to remember that the Royal Society of Chartered Accountants, the Masons, the Conservative Party, the BBC, and the local darts team are also gangs "
Thank you for reminding me . ( WTF )
Last edited by fastbob on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tango
Moderator
Posts: 14787
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 10:54 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Location: Huntingdon, Cambs
Challenge Score: 20
Has Liked: 1732 times
Been Liked: 1311 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#164 Post by Tango » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Play nicely, people...... :wink:
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

User avatar
MarkW
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:52 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): BMW K1600GT SE
Location: Harrogate
Has Liked: 399 times
Been Liked: 1084 times

Re: RC MC eh?

#165 Post by MarkW » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm

mikestrivens wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 pm
There is no place for vigilante behaviour.
Quite so - before you know it you've got mobs of enraged obese chavs throwing bricks through paediatricians windows.
"There are three basic rules of travelling. Travel on the ground. Travel alone when possible. Keep notes. That's it." – Paul Theroux