Smee

<t>Do you watch bike crash videos?</t>  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch bike crash videos?

• Yes - They're informative
    • Yes - Anything with bikes i'll watch
    • No - But i'll watch it if someone shares a particular video
    • No - I stay away from watching those things

So i'm awaiting on the dealers to get in touch telling me my first bike is ready to collect, and in the meantime I seem to have found myself engrossed in watching crash videos, near misses and road rage videos. I went to show a biker friend of mine a particular video which was more humorous than anything else, but before even looking at the screen his response was:

If it's a video of a bike crash, I don't want to see it.

It wasn't, he watched it and a cringe and giggle later all was good. But it got me thinking of how other bikers feel about such videos?

Me personally, I find comfort from information; the good and the bad. I'm very much an extreme over-thinker. I'm acutely aware of the increased dangers of riding a bike versus getting in my car but watching these videos somehow puts me more at ease... it actually makes me impatient to get my bike and get on the road.

In part that may be because I have something I've come to learn is called intrusive thoughts. It's supposedly my brains way of keeping me safe by exaggerating the worse outcome of a scenario. On a train platform if I hear "stay well back, this train doesn't stop here" my brains like: "It'll be going pretty fast"..."What if you stumble in front of it, that's going to kill you"...I'll just step a back a little I think. Or in the car on a motorway i'll think: "Turn that wheel slightly and you'll hit the central reservation and probably die" with a result of me making sure I have a good position in my lane. I guess in a way the saying "Every car driver is out trying to kill you" will be well and truly planted in my subconscious anyway because of this.

I also watch the video's and such a great deal of the near misses and crashes i'm like, "if you rode defensively, that probably wouldn't have happened".

Another thing I always want to ask other bikers if they've ever had any crashes e.c.t but i'm never sure if it's a bit of a taboo subject. To me it's fine, but I know i'm a bit weird :P

Anyway, I was wondering how other bikers feel about watching these sort of videos?

Im also an extreme over thinker as Im a very anxious person. My parents have also long hated bikes and think they are dangerous, and always made it clear how much - to be fair, they lost a good friend involved in an RTC on his bike, and outside our house a van clipped a bike and the rider hit a tree and briefly stopped breathing whilst my mum was checking for his pulse!

My first few rides out on my bike were terrifying because of it, and add in the newbie wobbles (which have gone mostly now, just needed more hours on the bike!) I did initially want to pack it in before I started. The very last thing I wanted to do was watch videos of bikers f***ing up or getting f***ed up!

Im more confident now, but to be honest I still dont want to watch those kinds of videos, unless there really bizarre ones like the biker who had a waste van pull out in front of him and his bike went into the side and threw him in the air... and landed safely in the rubbish on the van!

Biking isnt all dry sunny rideouts, things sometimes go wrong.

Burying your head in the sand and blocking out reality is never healthy, but then neither is an obsession with crash videos.

I have no problems watching them and they can be quite fascinating. Alot can be learnt from watching them too, so avoiding them completely means you're missing out on potential learning opportunities.

. My parents have also long hated bikes and think they are dangerous,

My dad hates me riding. The amount of times ive crashed you would think he would be used to it by now.

Il watch the videos, its happend so me watching it isn't going to change anything. I might even learn something.

They're certainly not fun or entertaining to watch but some of them can be a valuable resource for learning what not to do. Seen so many videos of people showing off, riding with poor technique or being hit by careless cagers that it kind of prepares you for what might happen - on any road at, any time, you just have to be in the wrong place.

I quite enjoy watching some American yobbo falling off trying to do a mile long wheelie wearing a tee shirt in the middle of a busy freeway . It helps me understand how Trump got elected .

I dont watch them. I don't need videos to tell me that showing off is a bad idea, or that drivers can be blind. Ive already found that out for myself. I get no pleasure at all from the misfortunes of others.. whether they are asking for it or not. Ive seen two fatal bike accidents in my time and thats enough blood and gore to last my lifetime and seeing accidents on YT or any other video sharing site does nothing but bring those awful memories back and make me sick to the stomach. So.. whenever I see a link to a video on this or any other site.. I tend to read the title and the comments before deciding whether or not to watch and most of the time, I don't bother.

So far as traffic "fail" videos go.. Ive seen a few, (watch one and YT seems to think you're an addict) and the only thing Ive learnt from them is that it will be a cold day in hell before I ever ride in the Russian federation. And/or that you can never really trust that the stupidity of other road users wont cause you to have a very bad day. luck of the draw. wrong place wrong time. usually.

I will not watch them again.

I did it once and then my next ride out was a bloody nightmare, with all the images still in my mind I was a nervous wreck imagining all sorts of disastors befalling me.

Nope, never again.

I once foolishly clicked on to a link showing the aftermath of a fatality - had nightmares for weeks.

The ride out ones, showing bikers failing at wheelies, just piss me off. I do not watch gratuitous ones, or ones where a mother has posted her child's accident as a warning to others. i dealt with plenty of fatal RTAs in my old job.

I dont watch them. I don't need videos to tell me that showing off is a bad idea, or that drivers can be blind. Ive already found that out for myself. I get no pleasure at all from the misfortunes of others.. whether they are asking for it or not. Ive seen two fatal bike accidents in my time and thats enough blood and gore to last my lifetime and seeing accidents on YT or any other video sharing site does nothing but bring those awful memories back and make me sick to the stomach. So.. whenever I see a link to a video on this or any other site.. I tend to read the title and the comments before deciding whether or not to watch and most of the time, I don't bother.

So far as traffic "fail" videos go.. Ive seen a few, (watch one and YT seems to think you're an addict) and the only thing Ive learnt from them is that it will be a cold day in hell before I ever ride in the Russian federation. And/or that you can never really trust that the stupidity of other road users wont cause you to have a very bad day. luck of the draw. wrong place wrong time. usually.

This is essentially my thinking.

Maybe, perhaps a few years down he line when I have more experience behind me it wont bother me so much, but right now whilst Im still trying to improve my riding I dont see how it will encourage me to keep at it :lol:

I do watch them, and I do look them up, just not very often.

It's just a curiosity of whats happening in the wider world, and also if I can do anything to avoid getting into the same trouble.

It's just a curiosity of whats happening in the wider world, and also if I can do anything to avoid getting into the same trouble.

I guess I always get sent extreme ones, like the kid trying to sneak past the lorry and ends up under the wheel but escapes because his helmet wasnt done up and that got squished but he wiggled free. Shouldnt need a video like that to tell you dont try and sneak down narrow gaps between large vehicles lol

I guess I always get sent extreme ones, like the kid trying to sneak past the lorry and ends up under the wheel but escapes because his helmet wasnt done up and that got squished but he wiggled free. Shouldnt need a video like that to tell you dont try and sneak down narrow gaps between large vehicles lol

Shouldn't, and even though people watch it, many will still try to sneak down narrow gaps.

People are essentially all idiots until they prove otherwise, and then that only lasts a few moments until they confirm they are idiots again.

Shouldn't, and even though people watch it, many will still try to sneak down narrow gaps.

People are essentially all idiots until they prove otherwise, and then that only lasts a few moments until they confirm they are idiots again.

If your going to talk about me, atleast mention me by name...:D

Dirt bike crash videos are the best for stomach churning injuries. Bones sticking out all over the place, limbs pointing in the wrong direction, mouthfuls of smashed teeth, you name it... And they're not so much "what not to do" as "what will happen sooner or later when your luck runs out" :lol:

I have sustained a broken neck while riding from a blind and stupid car driver and I have nothing but sympathy for those bikers who have suffered.

I ride in a spirited manner using all my wits to reduce the risks and I have no desire to shuffle off this mortal coil in my bed but I will be blasting through the pearly gates on my latest two wheel steed when the time comes.

On two wheels things turn nasty and fatal quick and every life lost is an obscene waste. Do I watch videos of cashes hardly ever.

Gerontious you have my respect.