Motorbike Trailer for a dog..

onesea

It seems my hound at 7 months is exceeding the size expectations we had of him. Everyone agreed he would be 20 kg's and the size of a small labrador, at 7 months he weighs 26 kg and is the height of your average labrador :? . His growing is showing no sign of stopping :shock:

This kind of stumps my plan of mounting large dog carrier over rear Pillion seat and luggage rack, then telling misses if she want to join us get a licence and bike :twisted:

Now the next thought is a trailer, I recall there is some forum knowledge on this subject, bike is Triumph trophy 1200 Kerb Weight approximately 250 kg.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-motorcycle

Can the Kerb side weight just be painted on Swing Arm?

How do they hitch onto the bike?

I am thinking of going for the maximum 150 kg but with light trailer and maximum carrying. Trailer 60-80kg + Dog 30-35kg + luggage 35kg+.

How do hitches work? are there trailer construction regulations?

Mono wheel? 2 wheel? my guess is 2 wheel more stable with dog.

Am I mad? answering this question although most pleasurable is optional and probably not help full :x

All knowledge appreciated.

Are you sure a dog trailer is actually allowed on the road ? If so , what are the requirements from an animal welfare point of view ? Don't get me wrong , its a lovely idea and I do not doubt that you love your dog but you don't want the RSPCA on your case especially if you are miles from home. Some misguided dogooder is bound to report you .

Are you sure a dog trailer is actually allowed on the road ? If so , what are the requirements from an animal welfare point of view ? Don't get me wrong , its a lovely idea and I do not doubt that you love your dog but you don't want the RSPCA on your case especially if you are miles from home. Some misguided dogooder is bound to report you .

how is a dog trailer any different to being transported in/on a vehicle ?

police dogs for instance are contained within cages at rear of vehicle with no further restraints .

police dogs for instance are contained within cages at rear of vehicle with no further restraints .

Which is a world away from being dragged behind a motorbike in a a homemade contraption built out of a wheelie bin. How is it different ? It's cold , noisy and isolated . The rider has no idea what the dog is doing and it offers no impact protection. It's worth mentioning that people are not allowed to travel in a towed caravan .

Edited by fastbob

Which is a world away from being dragged behind a motorbike in a a homemade contraption built out of a wheelie bin.

google alphadog ,lintran or kmdogtrailers ..

They all started as homemade contraptions im sure

why not look at the sidecar route

A few months ago I saw (I think it was an Enfield) bike with a sidecar, and the passenger was an Alsatian who even had his own pair of tinted goggles.

He looked pretty damn cool!

I'm not sure if I still have the photo!

:thumb:

Thanks for the comments yup that tail mount dog carrier is not cheap....

Then neither are the dog carriers:

http://alphadogtrailers.co.uk/dog-trailers/

https://www.lintran.co.uk/

http://alphadogtrailers.co.uk/dog-trailers/

Not certain they are quite suitable but certainly give the idea. Presently not certain quite how big our hound will grow so not in a rush, thanks for all the tips...

As for hound he will be trialed first in push bike trailer (behind pushbike) before I try motorbike option. For afew years now Motorbike has been my daily mode of transport, local traffic can be randomly slow and you never know where. The idea is for the dog to be able to join me/us on more adventures instead of being stuck at home.

I wonder if there are any rules about people being towed in wheelie bins? :lol:

This guy hasn't read them

FYI:

Best I can find is:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/farm-animal-welfare-during-transportation

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/are-there-any-laws-governing-dog-trailers-7262

Seems as long as its sensible and safe its not a problem....

@goat is this why you did your America trip thread? :lol:

From onsea’s .gov.uk link-

Journey Logs

If you wish to transport the species below to another country on journeys over eight hours, you must complete a Journey Log - part of which needs to be submitted and approved before the journey can begin. The species are:

cattle

sheep

goats

pigs

unregistered domestic equidae

The purpose of a Journey Log is to ensure such journeys are properly planned, with the required rest stops along the way, and without exceeding maximum journey times.

You need to submit the first section of your Journey Log to the AHVLA Office where the journey will begin. A copy of the completed log must be submitted to the same office within a month of the journey’s completion.

@goat is this why you did your America trip thread? :lol:

From onsea’s .gov.uk link-

Journey Logs

If you wish to transport the species below to another country on journeys over eight hours, you must complete a Journey Log - part of which needs to be submitted and approved before the journey can begin. The species are:

cattle

sheep

goats

pigs

unregistered domestic equidae

The purpose of a Journey Log is to ensure such journeys are properly planned, with the required rest stops along the way, and without exceeding maximum journey times.

You need to submit the first section of your Journey Log to the AHVLA Office where the journey will begin. A copy of the completed log must be submitted to the same office within a month of the journey’s completion.

I think it's clear I didn't create it to entertain anyone. Bit of an issue with that properly planned bit though.

We have a guy on here who has a mono-wheel camping trailer that could easily be adapted for a dog....

:scratch:

That be me! I lean away from a mono wheel unit for this application should it be legal to do so

That be me! I lean away from a mono wheel unit for this application should it be legal to do so

As far as I can see there is no rules against trailing animals, it will be done so he is safe and comfortable. Agree RE 2 wheel trailer I was also thinking similar to your design with the frame being roll cage with fairing/ wind/ muck protection inside.

Presently its more a gently enquiry as Puppy is still growing, although without trailer biking will be really restricted... Not talking for hours on end but the little juants we end up stuck in the car for....

i would personally go more towards sidecar design .

even though your in an external environment that with modern means ..You can Heat, cool illuminate and monitor the trailer

The design of most motorcycles the exhaust is direct to the rear

you may fill the trailer with fumes whilst in traffic etc