Metropolitan Police - use of tactical contact on mopeds

Martyn850

Just watching the BBC news and there was an article showing the Metropolitan Police using tactical contact to bring pursuits involving moped enabled crime to a successful resolution! They played some of the police dashcam footage. Bloody hilarious. Knocks one scrote off and he just gets up and looks at the police with a WTF?! body language!!

I support this 100%, and I do hope that the Met have decent policy in place to protect the police driver when something goes tits up for the rider.

I would genuinely like to know how a thief can:

1. Steal the ped he's on

2. Use said ped to steal things and threaten innocent bystanders

3. Rides dangerously without regard to anyone and often damage other vehicles while doing so

And then feel that being knocked off by the police is taking it too far

:lol:

I would genuinely like to know how a thief can:

1. Steal the ped he's on

2. Use said ped to steal things and threaten innocent bystanders

3. Rides dangerously without regard to anyone and often damage other vehicles while doing so

And then feel that being knocked off by the police is taking it too far

:lol:

‘Cause it’s against his human rights, ‘innut bruv?!?! :lol: :lol:

I support this 100%, and I do hope that the Met have decent policy in place to protect the police driver when something goes tits up for the rider.

Don't be silly.

Unfortunately boils down to the courts though and the law is absolutely ridiculous.

Effectively police drivers are held to same "standards" as normal road users for careless / dangerous driving. So regardless of extra training and dispensation to break certain traffic laws they can still get done for those.

What this means is every time a police driver responds to an emergency call they are dangerous driving. However this is ignored for the vast majority of day to day activity, however if something goes wrong the DPS (met 'internal affairs' for the American cop show watchers) are quick to jump on the driver.

And there have been quite a number of ridiculous prosecutions where the driver did nothing more than what they were trained to do and by bad luck / stupidity of the criminal something went wrong.

I am a firm believer of Darwin and personally think that anyone killed whilst committing a criminal act should be marked up as tough shit. But law is not there to protect police drivers and personally I'm surprised anyone dares drive a police car nowadays.

[mention]Via[/mention]

The following are changes that were being looked at earlier in the year, basically as long as they were trained and doing what they were supposed to be doing they should be safe, obviously reversing over them or going head on at 60mph in the swat truck would probably fall outside the realms of reasonable, shame.

driving tactics that are necessary and proportionate to the circumstances.

A consultation document says: “This standard would allow investigators, prosecutors and the courts to take account of the driver’s level of training and skill, not only to make allowance for driving beyond that expected from the public but also if manoeuvres or tactics are employed that the driver is not trained or authorised to carry out.”

Instances in which the test could be applied include “hard stops”, where trained drivers are required to make contact with a suspect vehicle.

Whilst I enjoyed seeing them knocked off their scooters, I'm not sure that theft warrants the death penalty.

Who cares if the mothers onions die or end up raspberries , that's exactly how they need serving , good on the police .

I agree with all of the sentiments expressed. I still don't think theft should be punishable by death. Where do we stop, hang shoplifters? It's theft.

No but if they are running away the police should be free to shove them over.

If they flee in or on a vehicle then said vehicle is fair game for a hard stop

If they are armed shoot the armed thieves

If they Rob something and then hide under a tree standing on a chair with a rope around there neck then yes the police should be able to remove the chair

I agree with all of the sentiments expressed. I still don't think theft should be punishable by death. Where do we stop, hang shoplifters? It's theft.

63 times the police have done this , just see it on the news , no ones been killed.

Snowflake :)

I never said anyone had been killed but a few posts back someone suggested that after being knocked off they should be backed over and bleed to death.

I'm all in favour of the odd broken leg and possibly a couple of arms and even a good kicking, but, death? really?

@Via

The following are changes that were being looked at earlier in the year, basically as long as they were trained and doing what they were supposed to be doing they should be safe, obviously reversing over them or going head on at 60mph in the swat truck would probably fall outside the realms of reasonable, shame.

Sounds reasonable to me :lol:

driving tactics that are necessary and proportionate to the circumstances.

A consultation document says: “This standard would allow investigators, prosecutors and the courts to take account of the driver’s level of training and skill, not only to make allowance for driving beyond that expected from the public but also if manoeuvres or tactics are employed that the driver is not trained or authorised to carry out.”

Instances in which the test could be applied include “hard stops”, where trained drivers are required to make contact with a suspect vehicle.

That's definitely a step in right direction then and about time, can still see IOPC getting over eager and innocent until proven guilty never applies to police complaints :lol:

Just watched the dash cam footage and not a single wince but a great big grin and the odd chuckle.

Only thing I agree with Sharia law - chop off their hands. Difficult to steal without any mitts. Seriously though it's not before time that these wannabe highwaymen get their collars felt. Sadly when they get to court they'll probably get a slap on the wrists (hands still attached) and they'll be out and about the same day.

Only thing I agree with Sharia law - chop off their hands. Difficult to steal without any mitts. Seriously though it's not before time that these wannabe highwaymen get their collars felt. Sadly when they get to court they'll probably get a slap on the wrists (hands still attached) and they'll be out and about the same day.

... Yeh, but the thing about amputations and killings is that the appeals process is a bit complicated...... if you don't believe me just ask Timothy Evans or Derek Bentley.... oh, that's right, you can't. Shame, that....

... Yeh, but the thing about amputations and killings is that the appeals process is a bit complicated...... if you don't believe me just ask Timothy Evans or Derek Bentley.... oh, that's right, you can't. Shame, that....

On the other hand It's a shame that the likes of Roy whiting and Levi bellfield can appeal....

On the other hand It's a shame that the likes of Roy whiting and Levi bellfield can appeal....

.... Somehow think you missed the point...... just hope you never get fitted up.