First bike - now, or after winter?

JesterPilgrim

Got my mod 2 this week, and I'm looking forward to becoming a biker!

However, we're obviously on the cusp of winter. Worst months here in Scotland tend to be Feb-Mar. Got a car so not looking to depend on a bike for commuting.

Should I buy a bike now, or after winter? If now - what do I need to know in terms of basic maintenance skills? I don't have a garage, it'll live on a driveway or just off it on the roadside.

You'll probably get a better deal now then when the weather picks up. If you are not going to be riding it though it won't be ideal for it to be stood outside unused. If you will be riding it then get a Haynes manual and some acf-50

Then again if you're not riding it you're paying unnecessarily for insurance for 4 months, plus leaving it in the elements for a winter.

Maintenance wise it depends if the bike is new or used, how many miles it's done, and how much you'll spend, but learning to clean and lube the chain is a good start.

I had a similar dilemma. Decided to get it now before the missus changed her mind! Also, even if I’m not using it as often as I would in summer, whenever it is dry and I go for a spin, it helps build up my experience and confidence ahead of summer when I will get some more recreational miles on the clock.

I had a similar dilemma. Decided to get it now before the missus changed her mind! Also, even if I’m not using it as often as I would in summer, whenever it is dry and I go for a spin, it helps build up my experience and confidence ahead of summer when I will get some more recreational miles on the clock.

Get it now and enjoy the best discounts plus there will be plenty of days you can use it between now and spring. Make sure it is properly protected with ACF-50 and it will be fine over the worst of the weather.

Don't think I can hang around! There should be enough good dry days to make it worth it :D

You will be a better rider for it, if there is snow or ice forecast I tend not to ride...

Then I have 3 times found myself over 100 miles from home riding further from home in heavy snow. Its fine as long as the roads stay clear and the grit is melting the ice oh and you go a little gentle...

I keep my bike taxed over the winter, just for those occasional days where it's dry and bright.......went out on New Years Day a few years back.....roads were dry and fairly quiet round our way.......wasn't out too long, as it was still very cold...... 8-)

I keep my bike taxed over the winter, just for those occasional days where it's dry and bright.......went out on New Years Day a few years back.....roads were dry and fairly quiet round our way.......wasn't out too long, as it was still very cold...... 8-)

I went out on New year's eve last year, got absolutely drenched :lol:

[mention]JesterPilgrim[/mention] Yessss get one get one get one :D just make sure it has some service history!

Buying a used Kawasaki ER-6F. 2007, 16K on the clock, a nice bright blue. Really happily, I have a very local motorbike shop/garage who, although there's a few more ££ on the ticket than for a private sale, offer their own 12 month mechanical warranty on anything they sell. They're also putting a brand new MOT on it.

So excited!!

Buying a used Kawasaki ER-6F. 2007, 16K on the clock, a nice bright blue. Really happily, I have a very local motorbike shop/garage who, although there's a few more ££ on the ticket than for a private sale, offer their own 12 month mechanical warranty on anything they sell. They're also putting a brand new MOT on it.

So excited!!

I'm happy in the ER-6F club for a first bike. A good solid start whilst we plot what we might like next.

So excited!!

I saw a bike like that in the Paisley area a couple of days ago, don't suppose it was you?