Any tyres for sale?

emmajaneg

Hi there, sorry for posting so much within the last few weeks :(.

I was just wondering if by any chance somebody from the North/East Yorkshire area ish was selling any tyres that would be suitable for a YBR 125? I really don’t have a lot of money and I rely on my motorbike for travelling everyday however my tyres are getting bald and they pick up a ton of water. I’ve slid a few times and I’m pretty scared to pick up any speed. If nobody is selling anything would anybody be able to point me in the direction where they’re cheap?

Thank you all so much, hope you all had a good new year :)

The usual suspects are ebay and gumtree, I've had good success with both but it's proving very difficult to find a cheap 130/70-17 for the rear of my Kawasaki. You just have to get lucky.

Oh, and if you're buying new then Oponeo is pretty good.

If you must buy 2nd hand check the manufacturer date on the sidewall,just because its got a healthy tread depth doesn't necessarily mean they are any good, the rubber may have hardened and offer little grip.

Don't skimp on tyres, they are the point of contact between you and the tarmac, if times are that hard walk.

I totally agree, get good NEW tyres professionaly fitted as soon as possible. We've had it good so far this winter and you don't want to be riding on shit tyres when it gets really cold ,wet and icy . With the greatest of respect, you should have taken the cost of consumables into account when you got the bike.

The usual suspects are ebay and gumtree, I've had good success with both but it's proving very difficult to find a cheap 130/70-17 for the rear of my Kawasaki. You just have to get lucky.

Oh, and if you're buying new then Oponeo is pretty good.

I guess yeah, thank you for the advice anyways :)

If you must buy 2nd hand check the manufacturer date on the sidewall,just because its got a healthy tread depth doesn't necessarily mean they are any good, the rubber may have hardened and offer little grip.

That’s great advice thanks, never actually bought tyres yet so lol is new to me

Don't skimp on tyres, they are the point of contact between you and the tarmac, if times are that hard walk.

I can’t walk lol it’s 21 miles. Before you say take the bus, I’d rather pay £10 a week in fuel than £40 a week :)

I totally agree, get good NEW tyres professionaly fitted as soon as possible. We've had it good so far this winter and you don't want to be riding on shit tyres when it gets really cold ,wet and icy . With the greatest of respect, you should have taken the cost of consumables into account when you got the bike.

I did lol but unexpectedly my first bike got stolen. I put all of my savings into the first bike. Not only that but Christmas has just passed my dear and it drained my pocket. My bike is my life and I ain’t getting rid of it

Try mytyres.co.uk I had a quick look and you can get a set of continentals for £67 You need to see if there is a fitting partner near you but my local one does fitting for a tenner.

I've bought numerous secondhand tyres and never had a problem with any of them. Obviously check the age and for any cracking in sidewalls and in bottom of treads. I've done 5 trackers on a Fireblade with used tyres.

You need to consider getting them fitted, how?/where?

I'd echo that question. If you do buy your own tyres whether second hand or brand new, make sure you have somewhere local that will fit them!

I bought some lovely imported tyres for my car a few years back, premium rubber without the price tag. Took me over a week to find someone who would fit them for me, and they only did it because I paid to have the tracking done at the same time. There will certainly be someone, somewhere who will fit them, it's just how many places you have to try and how far you have to travel in order to find them. I'd find a fitter before you buy anything yourself. You'll also need a buddy with a car to take the tyre to the shop for you, unless you find a mobile fitter.

I'd also err on the side of caution and get cheaper new tyres over second hand. Quality S/H tyres are out there, but they exist in a vast sea of old rubber and damage from monkeying them off rims. Of course if you know what to look for and have a local place you can visit and inspect before purchase then it's a good way of getting decent rubber on the cheap, but not everyone (including myself) has that knowledge and experience. It's very much a "your mileage may vary" situation with S/H. Some people will always go S/H and never have an issue, others won't be so lucky. If funds were low i'd take my chances with S/H on 4 wheels, but never on 2.

Tyre fitters won't be too keen on you taking tyres in to be fitted because they buy in bulk and sell at a profit . I also doubt very much that they would be willing to touch second hand ones at all.

I did lol but unexpectedly my first bike got stolen. I put all of my savings into the first bike. Not only that but Christmas has just passed my dear and it drained my pocket. My bike is my life and I ain’t getting rid of it

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, just don't put crappy tyres on it, saving money won't do you any good when your 2nd bike is in a ditch and your under a car, and in cold crappy weather the difference between a good tyre and a shit one is magnified

You’ve also got to think about whether the tyres in the bike at the minute are legal also. The minimum tread depth for a motorcycle tyres is 1mm across 3/4 of the tyre.

I would seriously not let my tyres get below 2-3mm if I was riding through the winter and the wet weather.

It’s sounds like you have had a few close calls already and I’m sure you don’t want to be coming off because your tyres are that bad. Not only that if your tyres are no longer legal and you do have an accident then your insurance could be invalid and then you’ll be in a world of financial pain at the very least....

I would get some new ones if you’re riding through the bad weather asap

Here is some info on tyres

https://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/motorbike-tyre-safety/tyre-maintenance/

When I trashed a GSX 1100 many years ago an assessor from my insurance company came to see my bike . I thought he had come to tell me whether it was a write off but all he did was pop a tread depth gauge out of his top pocket , poke it in the tyres , make a note and leave. In other words all he was there for was to see if they could get out of paying because my tyres weren't up to legal requirements. Need I say more ?

I had a remould on the back of my GSXR750 - cheap to buy but I’d never do it again - allegedly on a Pirelli carcass but the handling could only be described as ‘odd & inconsistent’ I persevered for a couple of K coz I didn’t want to accept that I was wrong and everyone who’d warned me was right.

Eventually I got so nervous about it I wrecked it publicly with a huge burn out, then bought a proper one ( and spent f*cking ages cleaning the molten rubber off the back of the bike )

Do NOT consider remoulds for road use ( maybe if your going drag racing )

• 2 weeks later...

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, just don't put crappy tyres on it, saving money won't do you any good when your 2nd bike is in a ditch and your under a car, and in cold crappy weather the difference between a good tyre and a shit one is magnified

Yeah I meant in terms of expenses etc