The 20-minute bike clean

learningtofly

Okay, I have to admit that I can be a tad lazy when it comes to cleaning-related activities but when I watched Youtube videos about bike cleaning it struck me that not everyone wants to spend 3-4 hours cleaning, polishing and blow-drying a bike, only to then ride it and immediately get it dirty again. I've therefore developed a 20-minute cleaning regime, which i thought I'd share.

1) Hose down bike thoroughly

2) Spray liberally with Motul Moto Wash or similar - just bear in mind that you only want a mild detergent if you've had the bike ACF-50 treated

3) Clean bike with liberal use of brushes and warm water

4) Repeat 1-3 above

5) Hose down a final time

6) Give any shiny bits a good rub-down and then let drip-dry

HTH! :thumb:

Edited by learningtofly

I wont use a jet washer on my bikes. Seen too much damage done to other people's bikes. I just use a hosepipe

Yes - I should probably clarify that it's a hose with a Gardena spray attachment on the end. I'll amend the OP!

I do the same. I'll suggest a degrease like wd40 to first remove tar and oil from wheels, chain guard, chain if you're doing it, numberplate etc so as not to your dirty your 'brushes'! (I suggest microfiber mitts) but I'm pretty much the same. And in summer when there's no salt on the roads you can get away with just wiping the shiny bits with a mitt and water for 5 minutes - mine usually stays pretty clean.

I'm considering an inline hose water particle/limescale filter so I can let it drip dry, but I can't find one that convinces me yet.

I do the same. I'll suggest a degrease like wd40 to first remove tar and oil from wheels, chain guard, chain if you're doing it, numberplate etc so as not to your dirty your 'brushes'! (I suggest microfiber mitts) but I'm pretty much the same. And in summer when there's no salt on the roads you can get away with just wiping the shiny bits with a mitt and water for 5 minutes - mine usually stays pretty clean.

I'm considering an inline hose water particle/limescale filter so I can let it drip dry, but I can't find one that convinces me yet.

Food for thought there, Geoff - thanks, mate.

I find that cheap Wheel Cleaner in the blue can from Poundland is a very good general cleaner that's especially effective at removing dead insects from fairings . Spray on , leave a while, then wipe off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two methods

The Bobber is wiped down with a cotton bud soaked in the most finely refined fragranced cleanser from a local spa. Then tenderly buffed to shine with virgin silk.

The CBF gets a bucket of water lobbed over it once a quarter.

Mine is broadly similar to OP, hose, spray on Muc Off bike cleaner, agitate with a brush (I recently bought this and it works really well https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-trade-long-reach-cutting-in-brush-2/9736x), hose off, microfibre towel to dry.

I had considered getting a foam lance for the pressure washer but haven't bothered as cleaning doesn't seem to take long. Plus there's a lot of fairing on my bike so not many hard to reach places for muck to cling.

Similar for a blower dryer. Considered it but whilst some water hangs around in some areas I'm not 100% convinced yet it's anything I need to worry about.

http://www.morethanpolish.com/maxi-filter-refillable-long-life-water-filter-system.asp

How about one of these?

Jet washing can wash the grease out of steering head bearings. It's not a myth, I've seen the damage that can be done. Not every time, but enough so that I wouldn't advise other people to use one.

I'm a convert with the dryer now especially this time of year, only paid £46 on ebay and is solidly made

Link? My garage is rather cold and I suspect why my chains turn horrible quickly...

I only use the pressure washer to spray snow foam on my bikes (from a distance) They actually get washed by the hose.

I'm a convert with the dryer now especially this time of year, only paid £46 on ebay and is solidly made

Link? My garage is rather cold and I suspect why my chains turn horrible quickly...

I only use the pressure washer to spray snow foam on my bikes (from a distance) They actually get washed by the hose.

Try the below link, it's gone up in price but there are other sellers on ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183597245044

http://www.morethanpolish.com/maxi-filter-refillable-long-life-water-filter-system.asp

How about one of these?

Thanks. A bit pricey!

Try the below link, it's gone up in price but there are other sellers on ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183597245044

If it lasts that’s a bargain for 2800w