how much can you torque with a 400mm breaker bar?

potatobroxd

my rear axle nut is spec says it should be torqued to 88nm but obviously after the bike has been used for a few years it will be somewhere around 100-110nm to loosen that nut.

I was wondering what length should my breaker bar be to torque that much? ive got a buddy with a 400mm breaker bar, do you guys reckon that would be enough?

Cheers :cheers:

I'd say yes... Only because the rear axle on my BMW is torqued to 100nm and I managed that by hand (both loosening and tightening.) And I am a self confessed weakling :lol:

My torque wrench is around 35cm long.

I'd say yes... Only because the rear axle on my BMW is torqued to 100nm and I managed that by hand (both loosening and tightening.) And I am a self confessed weakling :lol:

can you loosen nuts with torque wrenches as well? (assuming its below the max torque it's rated for)

can you loosen nuts with torque wrenches as well? (assuming its below the max torque it's rated for)

Yes, but it's not considered good practice.

A torque wrench should be treated gently and stored carefully to prevent it going out of calibration.

If you have a torque wrench or spanner 400mm (0.4 metres) long, and you want to tighten a nut to 88Nm, you are going to have to apply 220 Newtons (22.4 Kg). Shouldn't be too difficult ! :)

As bender says, you shouldn't use the torque wrench to loosen bolts. It can throw the calibration off apparently.

My other socket wrenches and spanners are around the same length though. At most, a tap with a rubber mallet on the end will loosen it.

For more stubborn bolts/nuts then squirt some stuff that I can't remember the name of in to the threads and leave it for 10min. Then they come off.

For more stubborn bolts/nuts then squirt some stuff that I can't remember the name of in to the threads and leave it for 10min. Then they come off.

Screwfix Crack It Shock Release Spray. (Other penetrating oils are available). :thumb:

I suppose you could but what would be the point ?

What is this obsession with torque. As far as I'm concerned a torque wrench is a delicate instrument to safeguard against over tightening bolts such as those that retain cam shaft caps or cylinder head stretch bolts . All you have to do with an axel nut is give it an extra yank with a standard ratchet so that it doesn't fall off . If you haven't the strength to undo it , position the ratchet handle parallel to the ground and step on it with your foot .

..... a torque wrench is a delicate instrument to safeguard against over tightening bolts ..... All you have to do with an axel nut is give it an extra yank with a standard ratchet so that it doesn't fall off . If you haven't the strength to undo it , position the ratchet handle parallel to the ground and step on it with your foot .

All true, but I would never recommend using a lot of force on a ratchet.

That is exactly what a breaker bar is made for. Stand on that to your heart's content. :)

If my ratchets couldn't stand up to a bit of force I would be very disappointed, 1/4 and 3/8 are a bit delicate but a 1/2 and up over can usually take serious stick the rear nut should be no problem.

Agreed, although I tend to use an oversized breaker bar to undo tough fittings. I've mashed my knuckles enough times and lost a few fingernails using a ratchet so am happy to go to the extra effort of grabbing a bar out of the toolbox.

... Or the air ratchet if it's really stuck and I can be arsed. ;-)

No breaker bar in a standard tool kit. Just an axle nut spanner and an extension bar. Put it horizontal on the nut and stand on it or hit it with something heavy. Same for tightening bignuts. Tighten it until you fart.

This is what I actually use , it was originally part of a weight lifting set I believe. Someone "Borrowed" my Breaker Bar years ago.

WP_20190202_11_17_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.a6214d4c100a73af50b911d4d7ecfbe7.jpg

WP_20190202_11_17_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.80cbe3161ae7594ea4f221a83cba5ff8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Richzx6r

No breaker bar in a standard tool kit. Just an axle nut spanner and an extension bar. Put it horizontal on the nut and stand on it or hit it with something heavy. Same for tightening bignuts. Tighten it until you fart.

That should be a Haynes.....how tight.......fart tight

So maybe you should use a torque wrench after all to avoid follow through 💩 .

I have a 5ft 1" drive torque wrench I acquired it with my garage, it doesn't often click I think it's set to 300ft lb

I have a 5ft 1" drive torque wrench I acquired it with my garage, it doesn't often click I think it's set to 300ft lb

And I have a little one that's set to 11inch pounds .

@fastbob I have them too, they are called fingers :D

No idea where 11 inch pounds came from🙄 The last job I used it for was cam caps set at 12 Nm or 8.5 Ft Lbs.

WP_20190219_19_44_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.bf9b71862bb8d5431d1370f5e879c78b.jpg