Uneven tire wear from turning right more than left?

potatobroxd

Possibly..?

My scooter had a ridiculousy uneven wear pattern by the time I finally changed it, after 17,800 miles, the left side was completely smooth but the right still had plenty of tread.

would there be any noticeable handling issues if that were the case?

If a roundabout is at a crossroads, then :

1. If I take exit 1 I'll be on the left of the tyre more than the right

2. Exit 2 ? left, right, left - and powering out, so more wear on left than right

3. Exit 3 ? left, right, right, left - more time on right, but again powering out on left. Let's say even.

4. Going round and round before deciding on an exit - definitely more wear on right

So, are we going out of our way to wear out the right side of the tyre on roundabouts ?? :D

I can see road camber, misaligned wheels and bent frames, or even taking a circular commute every day having an effect, but I'd be surprised if uneven wear was due to roundabouts.

If a roundabout is at a crossroads, then :

1. If I take exit 1 I'll be on the left of the tyre more than the right

2. Exit 2 ? left, right, left - and powering out, so more wear on left than right

3. Exit 3 ? left, right, right, left - more time on right, but again powering out on left. Let's say even.

4. Going round and round before deciding on an exit - definitely more wear on right

So, are we going out of our way to wear out the right side of the tyre on roundabouts ?? :D

I can see road camber, misaligned wheels and bent frames, or even taking a circular commute every day having an effect, but I'd be surprised if uneven wear was due to roundabouts.

I tend to go round the roundabout a couple times before exiting to practice cornering; maybe I should reverse the wheels every thousand miles? Are there dangers of doing so?

Psst.......don't tell him about the arrow on the sidewall........."snigger"....... :twisted:

I am aware that there's an arrow on the sidewall, I'm wondering about the possible dangers from doing so on a bike as Im sure you can do it on a car?

*im guessing it could be due water not being able to disperse properly?

No - it's because the plies are laid onto the carcass with an overlap.....if you run the tyre the "wrong" way, then the plies could unwind, and that might be "interesting". Obviously, if there's no arrow.........

Also the rotation of the planets would be reversed, time would run backwards and the universe would implode. This would invalidate your insurance and generally be a bad thing.*

*Except for dinosaurs - but then we'd have no petrol so every motorcyclist in the world would be seriously inconvenienced.