ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC 500 ISSUES

DANW

I bought a brand new 2018 royal enfield classic 500 in matt black last october and have so far done 950miles on it. It cost me £5000 from a local dealership and has been stored inside. So far I have not been happy with the quality of it and have listed the issues so far here:

- Massive oil leak from gearbox.

- Right mirror snapped off from the end of the mirror shaft.

- Constantly having to fix front brake switch.

- Exhaust rusted beyond repair, had to replace it.

- Front forks pitted rapidly.

- All unpainted metal is rapidly corroding.

The bike is still under warrantly but i feel like I have been sold a very substandard product and that I have thrown 5 grand down the drain. I would expect things like this to happen on a used or older bike but considering the bike was brand new and hasnt even done 1000 miles yet im unsure what my options are.

Please could you guys offer me some advice on what I should do? Legal or otherwise.

Thank you

I bought a brand new 2018 royal enfield classic 500 in matt black last october and have so far done 950miles on it. It cost me £5000 from a local dealership and has been stored inside. So far I have not been happy with the quality of it and have listed the issues so far here:

- Massive oil leak from gearbox.

- Right mirror snapped off from the end of the mirror shaft.

- Constantly having to fix front brake switch.

- Exhaust rusted beyond repair, had to replace it.

- Front forks pitted rapidly.

- All unpainted metal is rapidly corroding.

The bike is still under warrantly but i feel like I have been sold a very substandard product and that I have thrown 5 grand down the drain. I would expect things like this to happen on a used or older bike but considering the bike was brand new and hasnt even done 1000 miles yet im unsure what my options are.

Please could you guys offer me some advice on what I should do? Legal or otherwise.

Thank you

What kind of warranty have you got? All the problems that you list should be under warranty. Talk to your dealer as you would seem to have some grounds for complaint. See what they offer before getting all legal beagle with them.

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: Yeh - warranty. If still no joy, then you can return the bike as it is not fit for its intended purpose. This is your legal right. But don't try to fix it yourself. Put everything through the dealer. Have you checked out the WWW for reports of similar issues? I'm interested in the Himalayan at the moment, done my research and not found too much to worry about.

Good luck

S23.

Its still under warranty and have spoken to the dealer. They are taking it in for investigation. Will know more on saturday but to be honest i would rather get rid as its causing me grief but looking online theyre selling for 3500 at best so ive already lost 1500 of the money i put into it already

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

The dealership has now had the bike back in for repairs a further 2 times. 1st time for an oil leak which they then proceeded to dethread the sump and it fell out. It went to an engineers where they helicoiled it, scratched the front mudguard and polished it out removing the matt finish from part of the front mudguard. 2nd time was a week later because the sump was leaking therfore it was an unacceptable repair. This whole thing has left me without transport for 3 weeks. I told the dealer i was not happy with this to which they told me they dont buy back bikes and only accept trade ins, to which they offered me 2 grand less that what I had bought it from them 950miles ago. I am ready to start looking into my legal rights concerning this issue. Any advice or information would ve welcomed. Thank you

Same old story and the same answer. Forget about motorcycle repairs and treat the matter purely as the sale of a sub standard consumer product . A Helicoiled sump plug ? It's under warranty for goodness sake . A full refund plus compensation sounds more like it but it won't happen overnight by the sound of it. This kind of nonsense sounds more like the sort of shoddy treatment dished out to teenagers who buy a Lexmoto than what you would expect from a Royal Enfield dealership . Good luck.

This kind of nonsense sounds more like the sort of shoddy treatment dished out to teenagers who buy a Lexmoto than what you would expect from a Royal Enfield dealership . Good luck.

I resemble that remark, well except teenager

This kind of nonsense sounds more like the sort of shoddy treatment dished out to teenagers who buy a Lexmoto than what you would expect from a Royal Enfield dealership . Good luck.

I resemble that remark, well except teenager

Sorry mate, just generalising.

Lol just clocked that it's too early for me to be posting shite I think :lol:

Yes, Mike.........but OTOH, is it ever too late to post shite..........it's never stopped me!!!!! :thumb:

Yes, Mike.........but OTOH, is it ever too late to post shite..........it's never stopped me!!!!! :thumb:

Give us your postal address then we can all post shite through your letter box. I've got plenty of cat shite I don't really want.😸

Give us your postal address then we can all post shite through your letter box. I've got plenty of cat shite I don't really want.😸

Got 4 of me own mate - don't really need any more. But thanks for the thought :thumb: