Riding new motorbike to home

MESSIAH

I have provisional licence with CBT. Never have insurance.

How I can go back if I buy motorbike from second hand motorbike after test drive and home is about 100 mils far away? Tax road I can buy in 5 minutes but what about insurance? Can I buy 1 day insurance and ride motorbike this same day? After when I want comeback to home I want to search for insurance fit for me.

Any advice is helpful.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome. Assuming that this is a bike that you need to test ride before purchasing I’d get some quotes from several insurance companies, eg Bennett’s, Carole Nash, Hastings and maybe a comparison website like Go Compare. You need the ref. number, and bike details. Armed with the quotes reference numbers go and test ride bike. If you decide to purchase you can phone insurance company and activate the preferred quote immediately. Clearly this doesn’t cover you for the test ride so you need to check that the owner’s insurance covers for this. Or you may have decided to buy it by this point and can proceed as above.

Tax you can also do immediately by going to the DVLA website. I don’t know if that can be done on the phone as I’ve never tried but you can check beforehand. Good luck with the purchase.

Assuming you've only just done your CBT and have no other riding experience 100 miles is quite a way.

I'd suggest looking at paying for someone to load the bike onto a van for you and delivering it to your house (most person with a van companies will give you a quote for this). Yes it'll be extra expense but you will have a lot to think about and get used to on your first few rides that my recommendation would be don't do such a big ride whilst you still lack experience.

edit: but if you really were going to do this then I'd do what [mention]mikestrivens[/mention] suggests and get the quotes in hand first. Purchasing them whilst you're there if you do buy the bike won't take long.

You can buy one day cover, I looked into it when I was selling my 125 in case the buyer wanted me to deliver but the cost of a van wouldn't be a huge amount more.

Edited by SometimesSansEngine

Clearly this doesn’t cover you for the test ride so you need to check that the owner’s insurance covers for this.

I can't see how it would, the original poster wouldn't be a named driver on that policy, and normally it's your own insurance that covers you to use someone else's (also insured) vehicle with third party liability.

[mention]SometimesSansEngine[/mention] If he is buying from a dealer a test ride would be on their insurance with the rider agreeing to an excess.

@SometimesSansEngine If he is buying from a dealer a test ride would be on their insurance with the rider agreeing to an excess.

Yes, I couldn't quite tell if it was from a dealer or private, I lent towards private as I thought many dealers don't offer test rides to people with a CBT? (at least that's what I've heard)

If dealer I've bought cars before where they've given me 7 days insurance as part of the sale, not sure if motorbike dealers ever do similar.

@SometimesSansEngine If he is buying from a dealer a test ride would be on their insurance with the rider agreeing to an excess.

Yes, I couldn't quite tell if it was from a dealer or private, I lent towards private as I thought many dealers don't offer test rides to people with a CBT? (at least that's what I've heard)

If dealer I've bought cars before where they've given me 7 days insurance as part of the sale, not sure if motorbike dealers ever do similar.

True. I just assumed dealer had been missed off the second motorbike.

...Or get a mate with cover for "other bikes not the property of the insured" on their policy to ride it back for you... :thumb:

Only problem is that it'll probably be 3rd party only.......

...Or get a mate with cover for "other bikes not the property of the insured" on their policy to ride it back for you... :thumb:

Problem there, as [mention]SometimesSansEngine[/mention] has pointed out, is that the other motorcycle is required to be insured by someone for your 3rd party extension to be valid. If the OP has just bought the bike and does not have his own insurance then you're a bit stuck there.

If you're buying from a dealer then you might be able to negotiate a reasonable rate for delivery? Otherwise, there are plenty of van courier companies that pick up and drop bikes for reasonable money.

Also worthwhile ensuring they definitely have it and not assuming it's there.

Lots of insurers are quietly dropping this cover now, I'll admit when I read reports of it happening I went to check my insurance docs because I knew it used to be there but it wasn't one of the things I checked at renewal (and had driven my Gran's car for her a few times with that cover in the back of my mind). If you're moving insurer check it's there if you need it.

When I insured my bike recently it appeared to be pretty straight forward in that you can ride any other bike third party, no questions asked. But when I enquired with my car insurance firm last year they made the stipulation that the third party cover for other vehicles is for "emergency use only", which means borrowing your mates car just because it's convenient isn't covered.

When I insured my bike recently it appeared to be pretty straight forward in that you can ride any other bike third party, no questions asked. But when I enquired with my car insurance firm last year they made the stipulation that the third party cover for other vehicles is for "emergency use only", which means borrowing your mates car just because it's convenient isn't covered.

....Yeh, my policies have always been "straighforward" and never made any stipulations about the bike having to be insured in its own right.......thanks for this, I must ferret it out and check exactly what it says! I think this must have been introduced when the emphasis shifted from the DRIVER being insured to the VEHICLE being insured. It's happened, all right......... :cry:

"Emergencies" - bollox, never used to be the case. More creeping regulation and people seeing more opportunites to charge for things that used to be included as a matter of course.

You might suggest to your insurers that if this cover isn't included on the policy, you might well look elsewhere. Just like certain policies now excluding pillion carrying. FFS. I suppose if they excluded actually riding the motorbike, they could get the price down even more! Thieving Feckers. :evil:

Yea it's all very vague, in fact there's no mention of 'emergency' on my policy and only came up when I called to clarify whether my policy would cover me to drive my brother-in-law's car down to Dublin, i.e outside of the UK. I had a rather unpleasant conversation with the insurance company employee who clearly didn't give a sh*t what I thought about it.

My insurance automatically came with no cover for pillion riders and no cover to ride other bikes :x

The whole insurance industry needs to be held accountable to better agreed standards that are enforcable in law with the overhaul involving a regulatory body that has some serious teeth and financial penalties for companies that shaft their customers. They seem to be a den of rats.

Considering its a 125 you're bringing home I'd assume its pretty light.

Me and my buddy rented a medium sized van for 30 quid and lifted my CB125F in the van ourselves. Just lock it in first on the side stand and you'd be fine; just be extra cautious when driving.

If you're worried itll tip over just grab a couple straps from poundland and strap it on the provided hooks on the van.

I specifically chose to have no cover for pillion passengers. My wife has zero interest in getting on it and as a new rider I'm finding it challenging enough managing just myself on the thing. I suppose just the insurance company point of view a pillion passenger is just another 3rd party to claim off them if things went wrong.

My insurance automatically came with no cover for pillion riders and no cover to ride other bikes :x

The whole insurance industry needs to be held accountable to better agreed standards that are enforcable in law with the overhaul involving a regulatory body that has some serious teeth and financial penalties for companies that shaft their customers. They seem to be a den of rats.

Thankfully you can switch insurers easily enough, even if you're in contract.

Whaddaya mean, "seem"?

Whaddaya mean, "seem"?

I live in hope there are some good ones :bang:

Whaddaya mean, "seem"?

I live in hope there are some good ones :bang:

What was that again? "Abandon all hope ye who enter unto here", or something like that........

I wouldn't be riding any other motorbike that was not insured by its owner, so you may or may not be covered whilst riding it, I wouldn't ride it even if it's not written in your policy, it's certainly written into mine.

So you park it up and pop into somewhere ohhh it's Def not insured them, no way is your dubious 3Rd part cover going to stand whilst your mot on it.

I would go with the pick it up in a van or pay to have it dropped off.

Edited by Bender

I wouldn't be riding any other motorbike that was not insured by its owner, so you may or may not be covered whilst riding it, I would go with not even if it's not written in your policy, it's certainly written into mine.

So you park it up and pop into somewhere ohhh it's Def not insured them, no way is your dubious 3Rd part cover going to stand whilst your mot on it.

I would go with the pick it up in a van or pay to have it dropped off.

Errr.... English, MF....... do you speak it?