cb350sg

skyrider

right what do people think of the honda cb 350 sg as I was maybe contemplating getting one just to play with in the man cave just till a reasonably priced yam srx came along, the sg I was thinking of would be around a 1986 era, all thoughts please

I remember these , there was a firm of photo couriers in Birmingham that had a fleet of these things. Other than that I can't ever remember seeing one . I wonder who they were designed to appeal to back in the day ?

I don't like the frame on them, I think it looks like the front fairing has fallen off :wink:

$_86.JPG

No idea what they are like to ride, reliability etc though :lol:

Not too pretty but I bet engine removal is a doddle .

[mention]fastbob[/mention] true. its just my personal taste and to be fair, the picture I posted wasn't the nicest looking example :lol:

I had another look and I think the frame looks so much better in any colour but bright red

left1-945x385.jpg.6fd034e64718350a2d20e9960caa7964.jpg

@fastbob true. its just my personal taste and to be fair, the picture I posted wasn't the nicest looking example :lol:

I had another look and I think the frame looks so much better in any colour but bright red

left1-945x385.jpg

Oh yes ! That does look a lot better. Is this the one you're going to buy ? Twin front discs is a bonus on a smaller bike , my ER5 only has one and I have to ride accordingly. I guess this might have been designed as a city commuter or courier bike.

Edited by fastbob

Where to start with this thread.. Firstly it's a fact that red frames are the best. A Fact. Secondly the best ones are red framed with white bits, like this:

YylbonE.jpg

That's one I saw at Rugby Bikefest a couple of years ago, I've also seen a black one on my commute a couple of times - they do exist! The frame looks like a Spondon and is therefore also a thing of beauty even if it makes valve clearance checks annoyingly difficult..

ssb-spondon-frame-gsxr-01.jpg?itok=cdfx9xrW

If you don't like it you're in the wrong. Soz.

Engine wise it's a Superdream lump but 350cc so spares may be difficult because I don't think that exact motor was used anywhere else. It'll also be worn out at 50K because Superdream. They also seem to suffer poor build quality, I seem to remember they were built in Spain just like later CBX250RS's - thin paint and dodgy electrics were newly found features. Brakes are supposed to be very good for the performance you have to hand.

Overall bit slow, surprisingly heavy, not many spares and good brakes.. But if you like the frame you don't have a lot of choice.

As always for bikes of a certain age there are also tall tales to be read about them over at the UMG blog. If I was buying one I'd certainly like to hear it running before handing over any dosh, a bad Superdream can sound like a proper bag of nails!

• 1 year later...

I love my little cb. Yes parts are a pita to find, and not too fast. Gets a little slow past 75.

Brakes are good for age, and it's nimble little thing. Engine is difficult. And 50k dose seem. To be the point they start being iffy. I rebuilt mine last year (black and silver) as it needed new lump. Looks good in the black and silver.

@fastbob true. its just my personal taste and to be fair, the picture I posted wasn't the nicest looking example :lol:

left1-945x385.jpg

Thanks. Yes that's mine.

Guest Richzx6r

As always for bikes of a certain age there are also tall tales to be read about them over at the UMG blog. If I was buying one I'd certainly like to hear it running before handing over any dosh, a bad Superdream can sound like a proper bag of nails!

Do you not mean a good super dream :lol:

Do you not mean a good super dream :lol:

To the best of my memory , a good , as in new , Superdream made a unique sound between a whistle and a purr . They were so over engineered that they didn't make a hint of unwanted mechanical noise . It was just a shame that they were mostly bought by novices who thrashed the f**k out them as soon as they found out how slow they were .

• 1 year later...

Just jumping on this thread as I have one of these bikes currently for sale. It’s in excellent condition for an 88. Anyone looking at parting some ££ for a very lovely example…let me know. Red frame with black everything else. Rides really well and sounds great. Searchable on FB marketplace. 

Cheers. Dave 

13 hours ago, Boro Dave said:

Just jumping on this thread as I have one of these bikes currently for sale. It’s in excellent condition for an 88. Anyone looking at parting some ££ for a very lovely example…let me know. Red frame with black everything else. Rides really well and sounds great. Searchable on FB marketplace. 

Cheers. Dave 

Hi Dave do you have any photos and around what price thanks 

23 hours ago, skyrider said:

Hi Dave do you have any photos and around what price thanks 

Hi skyrider - here are some photos. I've got it advertised for £1200. Thanks 

Text from advert below:

1988 Honda CB350S 38k Miles. Twin exhaust. Very rare in UK. Very clean example for a 35 year old machine but a few little marks here and there. New Battery. New brake cylinder and front discs. Original manual and tool kit. No MOT but flew through last one and hasn’t been rode since. Will need a carb tune up and fresh fuel. Starts on the button. Runs, stops and sounds great. Located near Middlesbrough. Box of spares to go with it worth a few quid. V5 in my name. Currently on SORN.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Edited by Boro Dave
  • Like 4

Hi Dave i have just looked at the weight of the bike and it's not a lot different than the cb 500 i used to have (4kgs) and with the arthritis in my shoulders i struggled with the 500 so im afraid im going to have to leave it i just thought i would let you know anyway good luck with the sale and thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

Hi Dave i have just looked at the weight of the bike and it's not a lot different than the cb 500 i used to have (4kgs) and with the arthritis in my shoulders i struggled with the 500 so im afraid im going to have to leave it i just thought i would let you know anyway good luck with the sale and thanks

Hello. No problem. Thanks for being courteous and letting me know. Hope you find something a bit lighter to carry on riding. I do have a 250 super dream currently in bits - I’ll post when it’s done. 

All the best. Dave