Any experience of Honda CBR600F4i (2001–2006)?

Beans

I was wondering about swapping the Biffer (Honda CBF1000A 2006) for a Honda CBR600F, the older one - CBR600F4i (2001–2006) to be precise, cos it looks a little sportier and I like the way it looks with that humungous exhaust.

I have a short commute to work that I do on the bike (5 miles each way), plus weekend rides, but I haven't yet had the urge to go on tour or anything. I'm a new-ish rider with little mechanical nouse and looking for a reliable do it all bike.

Anyone on here got recent experience with them? [mention]Fozzie[/mention] , are you there? You did a review https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=41371

Given that manufacturing of them ceased in 2006 apparently, should I be concerned with the availability/price of parts?

I recently got breakdown cover for my Bike and read in the small print the bike must not be over 15 years old. Seems standard practice and presumably they won't cover you, or charge a fortune if its that old.

if breakdown companies are unwilling to take the risk, then to me that suggests you should follow suit and buy a newer bike, maybe around 2008-2012.

That's what I've got Beans, Robbo at SCM has done plenty of work on mine and knows them pretty well :thumb: . Parts are pretty easy to come by, never had any issues - they were one of the most popular selling bikes for a while so there's plenty of them.

Really good bikes, if you look at any check if it's had a new cam chain tensioner recently and feel under the exhuast pipes as they like to rust through.

I recently got breakdown cover for my Bike and read in the small print the bike must not be over 15 years old. Seems standard practice and presumably they won't cover you, or charge a fortune if its that old.

if breakdown companies are unwilling to take the risk, then to me that suggests you should follow suit and buy a newer bike, maybe around 2008-2012.

I bloody hope not ! My bikes are 26 and 21 years old and I'm paying for breakdown cover on both of them . I had my 26 year old GSXR brought home from Kinross a couple of years ago and apart from having to listen to a depressed Scotsman rambling on about his divorce for eight hours non stop , there were no fees to pay .

Im running a Honda cbr600f 1999 and apart from odd tweak she is amazing! Very comfy aswel, 20 years old and is perfect nick! Also is rather easy to get parts for it still so newer models should have no issue would have thought.

Hopeing to keep her running until 2040 when petrol and diesal vehicles aint allowed on road any longer...

20180926_185503.thumb.jpg.0ab7d2865d71c2e91adf149340e2c4fe.jpg

Back in 2006 I had a 2002 model.

The CCT went so I replaced myself and the down pipes rusted through (as they where plain old steel then). So they were changed to a stainless set. All big bikes nowadays, as far as I know are made with stainless down pipes.

I owned her for 4 years and they were the only two issues I had. Was a great bike.

720DEB33-A0C6-4DBF-8103-6F90FBA5A9B6.thumb.jpeg.5c5f9e270a99e402813874d5210292d9.jpeg7C4AED24-7162-46FA-80DC-78150F09D26A.thumb.jpeg.2e47238e9b67dc09af981a18506440a6.jpeg

I've had:

Honda CBR600FY - 2000 (the carbed version of the F4i)

Honda CBR600F6 - 2006 (Owned for 2 years)

Honda CBR600FS - 2003(Owned for nearly 2 years)

Honda CBR600FAC - 2013 (Current bike)

I've owned these in between sportier models, and even big tourers like the 165BHP Honda Blackbird.

Yes production ceased in 2006 for the F4i, but parts are still readily available, especially through David Silver spares.

The weak point on all but the 2013 model is the cam chain tensioner and the reg/rec. For me the CCT failed on every one, although never in a bad way, it was just an annoying rattle at 5000rpm. I did about 6000 miles with it rattling and only changed it as the rattle started at other points in the rev range.

The reg/rec never went wrong in mine, but I did fit an uprated one on the F6 just in case.

Compared to the CBF1000, which rather fittingly was given to me as a hire bike while the F6 was in for a service, they feel about as powerful, but you don't have the low down torque of the 1000cc engine on the 600. You have to work it, which I personally love.

Differences between the models in short sentences.

Carbed one had a great induction noise, it was smooth, didn't need much choke on cold starts, but wasn't as precise as a Fi bike.

Injected models have an annoying (to me) high idle on start up as they warm up. If you fit a loud exhaust and live in a quiet residential area this needs to be considered. I used to pull away just on the clutch most mornings.

2013 model - Slightly less top end than the previous, but a fantastic amount of mid-range shove, and none of the gripes of the previous year models.

Any specific questions, let me know. If I had to get a commuter, an old F4 or F4i, even an F3 would be high on my list.

Im running a Honda cbr600f 1999 and apart from odd tweak she is amazing! Very comfy aswel, 20 years old and is perfect nick! Also is rather easy to get parts for it still so newer models should have no issue would have thought.

Hopeing to keep her running until 2040 when petrol and diesal vehicles aint allowed on road any longer...

I've got the exact same one. Same colour scheme as well :thumb:

The weak point on all but the 2013 model is the cam chain tensioner and the reg/rec.

The reg/rec never went wrong in mine, but I did fit an uprated one on the F6 just in case.

The F4i onwards comes with a Mofset from factory :thumb:. Mine did pack up last year however :lol:

The weak point on all but the 2013 model is the cam chain tensioner and the reg/rec.

The F4i onwards comes with a Mofset from factory :thumb:. Mine did pack up last year however :lol:

Took Honda 2 decades to finally sort it! :lol:

I replaced mine when an 08 fireblade at work popped its reg/rec. I heard they were fitting better units, so whether it was an improvement but some still went wrong I don't know.

The worry was it could take out the stator when it went wrong so I just didn't want to risk it for the sake of £50-£60.

Think my favourite was actually the old FS

cbr600f_011.ashx?h=595&w=740&la=en&hash=891A3FF569E2916AFF636BB6F5C9676484915ED8

Took Honda 2 decades to finally sort it! :lol:

I replaced mine when an 08 fireblade at work popped its reg/rec. I heard they were fitting better units, so whether it was an improvement but some still went wrong I don't know.

The worry was it could take out the stator when it went wrong so I just didn't want to risk it for the sake of £50-£60.

Think my favourite was actually the old FS

cbr600f_011.ashx?h=595&w=740&la=en&hash=891A3FF569E2916AFF636BB6F5C9676484915ED8

You don't see many in that colour! Mines the best colour obviously, being red. :mrgreen:

Just gone on a mission with mine rdy for summer, new chain and sprockets, wheel bearings front and back, new brake pads and stripped cleaned and greased moving parts in calipers as where so dry, bring on the sun!