Instructor mugged me off - what bike should I buy tomorow?

TomAJ91

Hey,

So I had my intensive DAS course planned for next week, I rang today just to make sure everything is still all good and I was informed that my MOD2 wouldnt take place till mid May... I took a week off work, everything was planned to get done this week and I've been let down at the last minute, just told them to stuff it.

So Ive decided, I'm getting out on the road this weekend and it'll be a 125, and I'm more than happy with that.

I just can't decide between two bikes, either the Suzuki GSX S125 or the Honda CB125R.

Would you lot be kind enough to point me in the direction or which one you'd get and why? Please dont tell me to get a big bike or was for my DAS. I know they probably suck compared but I've made my mind up, just can't decide what bike.

Thanks all.

As above, it’s worth a test ride if you are able to on a CBT.

I decided to run around on a 125 before getting my full licence and chose the CB125R. I liked the fact that it shares a frame with the 300 so feels like a big bike - it’s just a bit lighter.

However, I think it’s a similar situation with most ‘premium’ 125s. They all tend to be a touch bigger than the usual fare.

My only word of warning would be to prepare yourself for depreciation. Even if you are not buying brand new, the bikes have only been around for a year or so and there will still be a hit to take when it comes time to move.

I bought mine brand new and was comfortable with the fact I was going to lose a fair chunk of money. I traded in for ease so it ended up costing me almost £2k.

Sorry to ramble, but hope it helps a little.

I'm with the previous two posters - stick to your guns and just take this disappointment on the chin, because within a week you'll wish you'd gone the DAS route and bought a bigger bike.

Edited by learningtofly

Depending on what you want it to do, 125's are fine (I still have mine after 4 years).

Both are the sport type ones, so see which you feel more comfortable on. Personally I prefer a more upright seating position, so I would buy neither :roll:

For what it is worth, my little honda has been fantastic. Engine never faulters, even on very cold mornings.

Another thing that you need to consider is the insurance costs.....just because they're 125's doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be that cheap......very nickable bikes, those..... :shock:

As above. I looked at getting a 125 for pottering around the villages as there's so much mud on the roads, the insurance was higher than both my other bikes, a 500 and a 1200. It's not just theft, insurers fix the rates on their records of claims and 125 riders seem to have more claims than people riding bigger machines.

So, I probably made the wrong choice but I'm happy as larry.

I went out and got myself a CB125R, and now I've spent a day on it, I'm so happy I did. Its fast enough for me, sounds alright, and has a big bike feel, was cheap as chips to insure (£250).

I know a lot of you probably think I've made a mistake but I feel I made the right choice, and personally think something bigger would of been overwhelming, even after a intensive course.

I'm going to learn my craft on this bike, enjoy it and see what comes next but every day is a learning day.

Next step is to go out on a ride with a group, what would be aweosme.

I know a lot of you probably think I've made a mistake but I feel I made the right choice,

Well if you're happy it doesn't matter what we think!!

Happy riding keep it shiny side up :cheers:

Guest Richzx6r

I went out and got myself a CB125R, and now I've spent a day on it, I'm so happy I did. Its fast enough for me, sounds alright, and has a big bike feel, was cheap as chips to insure (£250).

I know a lot of you probably think I've made a mistake but I feel I made the right choice, and personally think something bigger would of been overwhelming, even after a intensive course.

I'm going to learn my craft on this bike, enjoy it and see what comes next but every day is a learning day.

Hey everyday is a learning day, you never stop learning :D

the day you stop learning is the day you die :(

Guest Richzx6r

the day you stop learning is the day you die :(

Never a truer word spoken

Nice one, Tom - enjoy it, mate.

Where about are you?

I'm in beautiful(?) Buckinghamshire!

Not too far from me - if I organise anything that doesn't involve tearing around motorways I'll let you know.

Yeah please do! I can imagine its the best part of having a bike is riding with others.

Put 70 miles on the clock today, feeling a lot more confident! Sod filtering though I just sat in the traffic.

Put 70 miles on the clock today, feeling a lot more confident! Sod filtering though I just sat in the traffic.

Lol you will be filtering soon enough, sod sitting in traffic 😂

I pootled about on my 125 for around 8 months before going into my das, paid £1100 for it and sold it for £930 so hardly lost anything on mine. Obviously i had silly offers but as i was in no rush to sell it i just hung onto it until i got a sensible offer and just sorn'd it til it went.

I'm in beautiful(?) Buckinghamshire!

Not too far from me - if I organise anything that doesn't involve tearing around motorways I'll let you know.

Yeah please do! I can imagine its the best part of having a bike is riding with others.

That's exactly what I said and I was filtering a week after that! :lol:

Still only do it when there are big gaps though, so I do still sit in traffic sometimes.

Lol you will be filtering soon enough, sod sitting in traffic 😂

I pootled about on my 125 for around 8 months before going into my das, paid £1100 for it and sold it for £930 so hardly lost anything on mine. Obviously i had silly offers but as i was in no rush to sell it i just hung onto it until i got a sensible offer and just sorn'd it til it went.

Lol, i think I sat in traffic for a whole one week before braving it on my 125! the only time i wont filter is if Im leading a group and i cant see enough spots to land in for everyone and dont want to get too far ahead or i dont know how many are comfortable with it.

Yeah I bought a 125 costing 1800, sold for 1600 8 months and about 700 miles later.

Lol, i think I sat in traffic for a whole one week before braving it on my 125! the only time i wont filter is if Im leading a group and i cant see enough spots to land in for everyone and dont want to get too far ahead or i dont know how many are comfortable with it.

Yeah I bought a 125 costing 1800, sold for 1600 8 months and about 700 miles later.

It took me three weeks to just get off my own street when i got my 125 😂😂😂