Paddock stands

gsijay

Hi guys

Just a quickie I keep my r6 in my big shed with a wooden floor and I am frightened that on the side stand in might go through the floor so my question is can I keep it on the paddock stand as this would even the weight out but could I keep it on the paddock stand all winter when

Winter comes......

Yes you can

Or get a small sheet of steel plate for the side stand or a block of wood

What he said.

I keep a tin can lid under my saddle for these very scenarios, including parking on grass etc.

One advantage of paddock stands for overwintering is that it keeps the tyres off the ground. I'm not convinced it makes any difference to be honest but if possible when a vehicle is laid up I prefer the tyres to be raised.

In terms of the plate to go under the sidestand I've carried a square of plywood for this purpose but I need to upgrade. A lot of the places I visit now have gravel drives and the bike seems to slip slightly as the gravel settles - a couple of times I've come back and found the stand right at the edge of the plate. I've seen plastic plates with a small lip round them which would solve this but I am sure there is an alternative that avoid the necessity of actually paying a silly amount for a little round bit of plastic.

One advantage of paddock stands for overwintering is that it keeps the tyres off the ground. I'm not convinced it makes any difference to be honest but if possible when a vehicle is laid up I prefer the tyres to be raised.

In terms of the plate to go under the sidestand I've carried a square of plywood for this purpose but I need to upgrade. A lot of the places I visit now have gravel drives and the bike seems to slip slightly as the gravel settles - a couple of times I've come back and found the stand right at the edge of the plate. I've seen plastic plates with a small lip round them which would solve this but I am sure there is an alternative that avoid the necessity of actually paying a silly amount for a little round bit of plastic.

you can do the same with wood, just glue some strips round the edge of the plywood,

Guest Richzx6r

I use a proper plastic puc that I got handed years ago that had been abandoned in a pub car park, the owner of the pub saw I had a bike and asked if I needed one so win win, Iv had it about 12 years and it's still going good

Visit a few bike shows......there's usually someone there giving away sidestand pucks......We used to have quite a collection of them..... :wink:

Visit a few bike shows......there's usually someone there giving away sidestand pucks......We used to have quite a collection of them..... :wink:

Knowing me that would end up as a very expensive free puck

It is good idea to have @ bike of the ground if is not in use for long time. Best stands are those that support bike somewhere on the frame so there is no weight on shocks, and as well keeping tires of the floor without having that weight pressure will prevent lumps, bubbles that maybe you can’t see but definitely will affect your ride.

All of this is just prevention and special care but not necessary.

My friend has an old car jack that he puts a bit of wood on the centres it under the frame of the bike and lifts the whole bike on that centre strong point there fore doesn’t have any weight on the springs and also does that to oil the chains as well :thumb: