advice needed on new bike

boywizzard

Hi all,

just joined and already after advice! I know, always after something!

Thing is I passed my test years ago and immediately went out and bought an old ZXR750 H1, which terrified me, then broke my shoulder on a wet drain cover, handily placed in the middle of a corner. anyway long story short I switched to cruisers as I was not really bothered about speed but wanted to be comfortable, and I haven't looked back since.

Now however, I have had to scrap my old Virago and am saving up to buy something newer and bigger, but I find myself bikeless and I have a hankering to try something a but sportier for a season.

so basically im looking for some advice on what would work. I am not tall and have short legs so something with a low seat height would be good, comfort is important, power isn't so much, but it would be nice to be able to throw something into corners a bit more. so far ive been looking at CB600, SV650, Bandit, etc. but also considering an older sports tourer like a VFR or ZZR.

Any other options? any favourites? am i being stupid moving out of what im comfortable with?

Thanks for your help all

Alex

I don’t mind small and I don’t mind a twin, but I don’t really fancy a full sports bike tbh. I’d rather something a little more upright position wise.

I have looked at a fazer yes, but I’m not a huge fan of half fairings. Underrated bike though by all accounts and could be a shout.

Well, after a cruiser almost any naked/sports/sports tourer will feel nimble, chuckable, nippy etc. And there are loads n loads of good bikes to choose from.

Are you looking to get brand new? Ex demo? A few years old?

What's your budget?

All the bikes mentioned above are worth a look.

If you don't have long legs you really need to find a dealer(s) with the bikes in your shortlist. Sit on them, test ride them, paddle around a bit like you're doing a 5 point turn in an alley - all bikes carry their weight in different places.

Inline fours are usually wider than twins/v4s etc which can be an issue - I'm 5ft9 shortish in the leg, I tend to avoid inline 4s for that reason.

Very much second hand and cheap! Around £1500 ish I would think. Nice info on inclines though ta. I hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense. I do prefer a wider tank that I can grip but I suppose it does effect the ability to put your feet down.

I’m going to have a looks t a few at a local dealer this weekend so we shall see.

Hadn’t really considered the triumph but I will definitely have a look. I’d love to buy British if I can!

That website is brilliant. Thanks for that.