Ideas for a commuter

mlamb7

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times before, but I’m afraid some advice/ideas on what to get for my commute.

I ride about 100 miles a day in/out of London from Sussex / so starts with some twisties, then dual carriageways and motorways, then hugely backed traffic to get through, then some central London....! Bit of everything.

Because I’m riding 100 miles a day I ideally want something fairly economical and ideally one that’ll do 200+ miles on a tank so I’m not filling up every day.

This is also my first geared bike (potentially) - as I ride a Yamaha Xmax 400 at the moment. I want something that’s a bit quicker on the motorways and, well, a proper bike!!

I’ll be using us all year round so figured an adventure style would suit best?!

Budget is no more than £5k.

Done a fair bit of research and I think I’m down to either:

1. Versys 650

2. V Strom 650

3. NC750X

The Honda is auto so might not satisfy my urge to go geared - but then I’ve read that it’s ridiculously cheap to run and easy to ride etc. But worried it might leave me wanting more...?!

Then of the Versys and V Strom I’ve read various comparisons that pit them pretty evenly but Versys probably pips it from my perspective?!

Anyway - just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or anything I might want to consider over and above these?! Or any comments on the 3 I’ve suggested.

Won’t be using it for much else other than the commute so doesn’t need any off-road capability - although the twisties near me are usually in pretty bad nick!

Thanks all!!!

I'm slightly biased with your question :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaetNj4wwv8

The review is for the DCT version, I prefer manual change (and it's a bit cheaper). I strongly recommend haggling for a centre stand for it, if you're buying from a dealer.

Edited by Smithers

Assuming that you have a reasonably generous leave allowance and that you work five days a week , I calculate that you do about 23000 miles a year which is approaching the same ball park as driving around the planet . So whatever bike you get , it will be pretty hard to sell because of the mileage after two years . Therefore it might make good sense to buy second hand and change your bike quite frequently . I haven't done any maths though so I might be completely wrong . What do others think would be the best strategy ?

Edited by fastbob

Thanks both. I’ve just read that it feels a bit boring compared to higher revving engines. I’m sure it would feel quite a bit quicker than the Xmax I’m on (although it really is pretty nippy!). I’ve also seen a couple of reviews for the manual NC and they seemed not to rate it. I’d probably go for the DCT but try for a new version as apparently some of the sport mode options are a lot better.

But then I’m always reading how great the Versys and V-Stroms are as all-rounders and presumably they’d be quite a bit quicker and more fun than the Honda?!

Decisions decisions!!!

Assuming that you have a reasonably generous leave allowance and that you work five days a week .

Sorry what do you mean?! Did you send a little prematurely?!

Assuming that you have a reasonably generous leave allowance and that you work five days a week .

Sorry what do you mean?! Did you send a little prematurely?!

Yes ! Sorry . Went back to check OP , post finished now .

I tend to work from home a day a week and have to get the train occasionally - but I’ve done 5,000 since mid-Jan so reckon about 12,000 a year - so not quite so bad, but certainly a long way and completely appreciate your point about potentially swapping frequently. That said, 2 years of commuting on the train would be £10k so I’ll still be quids in even if whatever bike I get depreciates quite significantly!

I’ll definitely have a proper look at the NC. The chap who might be buying mine has an NC750S DCT to sell, which is what made me consider it in the first place. But it’s the previous version and the S not X - I figured the S wouldn’t be great for the fast and windy parts of my commute though.

With a commuter you will soon appreciate comfort, reliability and economy more than sportiness. No one bike can do everything, which is why have two, but for the primary purpose you've got a good shortlist. I'd tend towards low down torque rather than an engine that needs to be revved. For a daily ride that makes traveling much better.

With a commuter you will soon appreciate comfort, reliability and economy more than sportiness. No one bike can do everything, which is why have two, but for the primary purpose you've got a good shortlist. I'd tend towards low down torque rather than an engine that needs to be revved. For a daily ride that makes traveling much better.

Looks like another vote for the Honda. I’m surprised!

Just a shame they don't produce an NC variant with a belt drive.

Fortunately I’m way too much of a novice to know what the difference would be between chain/belt!

And by the way.. you describe DCT as 'auto' - thats not strictly true. it 'Can' be fully auto.. but as you will find if you buy one.. its far more fun with some 'manual' input combined with one of the sport modes.

I have a DCT bike.. its a hoot.

Belt drive would really be a great idea for the nc. I am tempted to look at a new nc in the v near future. How do you find the seat comfort?

Belt drive would really be a great idea for the nc. I am tempted to look at a new nc in the v near future. How do you find the seat comfort?

I don't have an NC. I have a CRF1000 and though it might make a good commuter - the standard version, which is very narrow. You will struggle to find a good one for <£5000. Mine is a lot wider.. so not as appropriate maybe, not ideal for filtering in city traffic.

But anyway.. Seats are easy. If the original seat doesn't suit you. Either have it altered/rebuilt or change it.

Seat comfort is good, it feels it was designed for sitting on for long periods, probably the least energy sapping seat I've had. Belt drive would be a great idea for the NC, it just means a whole lot less maintenance.

I'd love an Africa twin but my budget wouldn't stretch I'm trying to over pay my mortgage 🙄🙄 buy seems like from what everyone is saying the Honda dcts are great. I'm hoping to do a few test rides next month and take it from there

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a 2nd hand V-strom for commuting, was only around £1,400 with c.65K on the clock and it's run like a dream so far. Had to replace the oil cooler and starter motor recently, but aside from that its comfy, economical to run and can easily handle the twisties and motorways. Seen plenty of these bikes pass the 100K mile mark so the high mileage doesn't really bother me, OEM parts are eye-wateringly expensive for some items, but plenty of ebay parts around or SV650 parts as the 650 models have identical engines.