shiner xy 125

Peggy1999

Hi,

new to the forum and looking for good advice. New to the biking community and looking to get my first bike, a friends family member has been giving me advice on biking and recently said he is willing to see me one of his,

a shineray x 125 for £675.

I've been looking online and the model keeps getting mixed reviews, my friend said Chinese bikes aren't all that good but I thought id ask on here to get more opinions on reliability and price. this is just going to be a starter bike for now and not looking to keep It as a long term one.

thanks!

Hi n welcome.

I don't have any personal experience of Chinese bikes. They don't have a great reputation and the motorcycle media love to slag them off.

However, based on comments and posts on other forums my opinion is that they can make decent, cheap commuters or starter bikes, although they may be a bit more fragile and need more frequent servicing than Japanese or European 125's.

Hopefully, someone here with first hand knowledge will be along soon ....

Hi and welcome, depending on what amount of abuse it's had, Chinese bikes are prone to lower quality control, but that depends on how involved the parent company are with their own QC control, my bike is Chinese made, and up to now no issues, but i did buy mine new, so i do have some peace of mind with warranty etc, looking at the type of bike, it may well have had a hard life, if used off road, it may well have tired suspension, the chain and sprockets could need replacing if not cleaned regularly, off road style bikes need more maintenance than a road style bikes, if you really want it fine, but get it looked at by an expert, but remember caveat emptor :thumb:

Here's something worth pondering and it goes like this. If you believe Chinese bikes are shit you will treat it like shit and as a result it will probably perform like shit and not last very long . If , on the other hand , you believe Chinese bikes are good you will treat it well and as a result it will perform well and last for ages . This is not my theory but I did read it here while ago and I feel that it does have a ring of truth about it . Of course this only works if you buy one from new .