It happened...

ApolloMozart

Sometime between 2300 Saturday evening and 0400 Sunday morning my motorcycle has been stolen...

One of our kids asked who left side gate is open and I knew something bad happened.

The thieves jumped over the brisk wall between us and neighbors, and took the gate lock off (removed the screws holding it in place), then broke the steering lock (found piece of metal and plastic) and dragged the bike out. Wheels locked with oxford boss locks (front disk and back sprocket) but that didn't deter them.

We have one of Ring camera doorbells, but the bast*rds did not drag the bike through our own drive (granite chippings, would make loads of noise) but cut across neighbors drive (concrete). We saw the marks in the patch of grass between properties. Being a good citizen, I didn't allow the camera to record neighbors drive (privacy) but now I am really regretting this!

So called police yesterday, got a crime number, but that was about it.

Today called my insurance (MCE) told them about this and started a claim. Was told my claim needs to be verified by a special company, and they'll get in touch soon. Waiting for the call.

Was also told they'll have to wait 14 days after the claim is validated before making any payments, and after retaining the excess (£875). Given the year and mileage (40K-miles) I suspect the payment would be rather low. Wondering if I shouldn't have told the insurance at all about this... Also wondering if this will affect my car or house insurance (remember there is a question "did you make any claims in the last X years")...

Now some other bits, please chip in with any thoughts.

On Saturday, I took my CBR650F (2014) for MOT. While MOT was being done, I took a NC750X brand new (nice red colour) for a test drive and rode it home, to see if it will fit through the gate. Some neighbors were outside minding their own business. Then I rode off to pick up my old bike. And that same Saturday my got got stolen... Do you think this was a coincidence?

More than that. Last year one of the neighbors (lives across the road, doesn't work but practices boxing in his garden every day) flew a camera equipped drone around the houses (including ours) and the drone fell in our neighbors garden. I didn't like that. Same drone was seen one more time, peering into houses from the street. Didn't like that either. What do you think about this drone stuff? Could it be that the thieves use them to inspect the properties before hitting?

More interesting, on Sunday morning, while I was outside examining the tracks left in the ground, he (the drone operator) came around and said "did something happened last night? someone broke in?" to which I said, no just checking these tracks on the ground... Later on Sunday, my wife went to speak to a doctor (lives across the road and has CCTV) and the very same drone operator asked her "something happened to the motorcycle?". Very odd!

Not saying the neighbor is the one to steal the bike, but could be the one to tell about a "new" bike to others...

Spoke to "good" neighbors. One drove home just after midnight and on the in-car-camera we could see a van parked outside our property. Another neighbor CCTV registered a van passing by at 00:40. Our own CCTV (damn Ring doorbell) registered a few cars slowly driving up and down the road, with two of them slowly turning and reversing in front of our house... Looked the the days before footage and it doesn't show that much traffic during the night...

Anyway, feeling quite sh1tty today.

The thought did cross my mind...

Don't think will work though - kids want their father home, not in jail!

On a brighter note, I'm glad I didn't buy the red NC750X that day!

Would have lost a lot more!

Sad news. Just worth mentioning that it is not unknown for thieves to steal an old item knowing you will then replace it with a new one. So much as I hate to dump more woe and sadness into the situation if you replace the bike you might stand a higher chance of being targeted again. When that happened to me some years ago I made alternative storage arrangements before replacing the bike.

Awww mate that sucks so much :( I'm so sorry and will keep fingers crossed that you get good news soon.

I would take your concerns to the police. This may not be an isolated incident and this guy may have been reported to them in the past.

Sorry to hear about this

While it's easy to get paranoid about weird coincidental stuff, it doesn't mean you're wrong to think that way, and it does seem iffy.

That company MCE uses is a fraud investigation firm, be careful - tell them the bare facts as accurately and concisely as possible, it will all be recorded and they will be looking for ways to reduce or get out of paying out.

If it was less than 6 months old you may be entitled to a replacement bike - check the policy wording, t&C's etc.

Mce will most likely make a ridiculously low offer, then refuse to accept any evidence that you can provide to show that the bike was worth more. That's hard to fight, even through the ombudsman, but try - these thieving guys have been ripping their customers off for years.

Good luck

In hindsight, we can all say i wish i did this or that, but one thing i would do on the next one, is get an alarm fitted, it might not be much of a deterrent, when you're out and about, but at home, does give you peace of mind, i am so glad i got mine fitted, and it is so sensitive, it will warn me as soon as i step on the shed floor, and for a about £20 it's cheap enough to fit, just for the sake of it :cheers:

link to the one i bought, https://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/shop/ncs-c-11-talking-motorbike-alarm-and-immobiliser-system/#tab-reviews

I know where you're coming from but paranoia will only screw your head up . Just give the insurance the basic facts . Hopefully you didn't tell them you have a brick built garage and your security measures have been accurately recorded.

Edited by fastbob

Guest Richzx6r

I'd second getting an alarm on your next bike, I have a datatool on mine (came with the bike) and just banging on my garage door sets it off so theres no way its going anywhere from the garage

You can spend a lot of money on an alarm especially if it has to meet the requirements of an insurance company. But for now you can make a simple alarm by rigging a circuit that links the horn to the battery via a secret switch and a tilt switch . You can make a simple tilt switch from a tube , two wires and a big ball bearing . This may sound a little basic but by the time the thieves figure it out you will have called the police. If this is too technical then a bunch of tin cans on a piece of fishing line will do the job .

Just a quick note about alarms...

As a temporary measure or an add-on to an existing set-up,

Personal rape/attack alarms ( not the official name but I'm sure you know what I mean) - they're small, battery powered, easy to fit and hide, ear-piercingly loud, really cheap etc

Could work as an extra deterrent (?)

Bad luck mate........hopefully your insurance will pay out and you can replace the bike......maybe your weird neighbour saw something and may actually have been useful? ........worth asking him?

Guest Richzx6r

Just a quick note about alarms...

As a temporary measure or an add-on to an existing set-up,

Personal rape/attack alarms ( not the official name but I'm sure you know what I mean) - they're small, battery powered, easy to fit and hide, ear-piercingly loud, really cheap etc

Could work as an extra deterrent (?)

It's a good idea

I am thinking about investing in a tracker from datatool which is monitored 24 hours a day 365 days a year its expensive but it may be cheaper than replacing the bike

Guest Richzx6r

You can spend a lot of money on an alarm especially if it has to meet the requirements of an insurance company. But for now you can make a simple alarm by rigging a circuit that links the horn to the battery via a secret switch and a tilt switch . You can make a simple tilt switch from a tube , two wires and a big ball bearing . This may sound a little basic but by the time the thieves figure it out you will have called the police. If this is too technical then a bunch of tin cans on a piece of fishing line will do the job .

What about wiring up something to put a good few amps through the metal so the tossers stick to the bike and are there when you return the the bike

Bad luck mate........hopefully your insurance will pay out and you can replace the bike......maybe your weird neighbour saw something and may actually have been useful? ........worth asking him?

Crossed my mind, might have a word and see what's he up to.

Even if I don't think about the weird neighbours, I still believe it wasn't a coincidence that the motorcycle was stolen the same day I bring a brand new one home.

Everyone in the neighbourhood knew I had a motorcycle, knew what it was and how old was it. Why not steal it when we were on holiday and no one was home for two weeks? Why steal it the very same day a new one is seen?

There weren't that many people outside our place when I arrived on the new NC750. And I didn't stay for too long, 10 minutes max.

It must be one of these present who told the gang (I don't think one person could have done it alone) to grab the bike.

[mention]ApolloMozart[/mention]

I personally think it's too much of a coincidence, for said neighbour(s), not to be involved in some way, and regarding the situation with the drone, it is illegal to fly one within 50m of someone else's property, there are guidelines available from an internet search, of what is and is not allowable :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

I'd definitely have a word with said neighbours as one flying a drone around and looking in to people's gardens does look very suspicious