Super Unleaded Fuel

RyanCaff99

Spend your money on more frequent oil changes with good quality oil . Your bike doesn't have a proper filter .

No point using super unleaded as your bike doesn't have an engine management system that will make any difference. What you can do is to make sure you use decent branded petrol routinely. All petrol is the same base so supermarket fuel is the same as the big brands. The only difference is additives and the branded fuels do contain more detergents. So if you make sure you use branded fuel from time to time that's as good as it gets.

Don't waste your money, I believe it was designed to help reduce wear on high performance turbo charged engines, help keep them clean and reduce knocking, it has a slightly higher RON - octane rating, but I'm no expert, I think regular unleaded has an RON of 95 with super unleaded coming in at 98. I tried it in a fire blade that I used to have and the only difference I noticed was how much quicker my wallet emptied, the blade, which incidentally was tuned and dyno jetted, ran perfectly on normal unleaded, that said, if you want to shell out the extra moola for the dealer proclaimed benefits then it won't hurt your engine either :thumb:

You can tune a bike or car to run on super. Basically the higher the octane the more controllable the explosion is so you can advance the timing further without blowing your engine up.

I've had modified cars in the past that had to be run on Tesco 99 as they were mapped on that, you will get more power if the tune is good. Normally tho the only difference is cost from what I can gather. Stuff like v-power and optimal have detergents to clean the fuel system and cylinders to some extent.

I wouldn't bother buying it.

I tried it for about 3,000 miles, and it made no difference to my average MPG.

On a positive note, I did notice a very slight improvement in performance, but nothing to write home about.

I've not been tempted to buy it since as my opinion is it's waste of money.

It's a bit like those washing powder adverts like 'NEW DAZ' that used to be prevalent on our TV screens years ago that tried to make us think we'd been wearing dirty clothes for decades because our white shirts didn't, erm, look blue. Or was it whiter than white.

Whatever, it's the same marketing rubbish to sell us something that costs a halfpenny more to make for 10p extra at the pump.

On a positive note, I did notice a very slight improvement in performance, but nothing to write home about.

It's a bit like those washing powder adverts like 'NEW DAZ' that used to be prevalent on our TV screens years ago that tried to make us think we'd been wearing dirty clothes for decades because our white shirts didn't, erm, look blue. Or was it whiter than white.

Whatever, it's the same marketing rubbish to sell us something that costs a halfpenny more to make for 10p extra at the pump.

If you use in a car that has an engine management system which can make use of the higher octane then you will see an improvement in both performance and mpg. I never use it in the bikes but the cars do benefit, so it's not just a marketing gimmick. You just need to use it appropriately. I reckon the extra mpg pays for the additional cost of the fuel - but in terms of finance it's pretty neutral. The only real benefit is the slightly better performance.

I only used the "super" fuel when I was filling up my cars as it was strongly recommended, in fact the manufacturer actually said only use V Power and nothing else, so I did exactly that.

With my bikes, I use V Power in my sports bike, as I am still in the habit of treating my bestie but I use normal unleaded in my commuter bike.

I don't notice any difference in the slightest.

I use BP Ultimate for my cars for the reasons stated above. But you all put a seed doubt in my mind about the benefits of it in my 2004 Transalp and I filled up with regular this morning. So far no observable difference.

I do tend to use it in my bike, not for the added octane as it runs fine on 95 but because it apparently burns cleaner and there’s a Shell station 2 minutes away from me where it usually gets filled up.

Oh here we go . 😁 I can remember shiny football club badges , some ivory coloured footballers heads , Tony the tiger stickers and that's about it but there were many more I'm sure . Who can remember any more ?

If you use in a car that has an engine management system which can make use of the higher octane then you will see an improvement in both performance and mpg. I never use it in the bikes but the cars do benefit, so it's not just a marketing gimmick. You just need to use it appropriately. I reckon the extra mpg pays for the additional cost of the fuel - but in terms of finance it's pretty neutral. The only real benefit is the slightly better performance.

It was in a car, a Toyota Avensis. Before I retired last December I was a private hire driver based at Manchester Airport and we had plenty of long runs all over the country. I thought I'd try it out, and it didn't make a bean of difference to the MPG during the month I tried it. Like I said, that was 3,000 miles or so.

The one factor that made the biggest difference I noticed though was air temperature. I always had better MPG figures in the summer. I wouldn't have thought 20 degrees difference in air temperature would have such a significant affect, but it did. It's hard to understand when the temperature inside the cylinder is so high, but it was the same every year, though I would add diesel engines were less affected than petrol engines, but the mpg figures always deteriorated in the winter.

Oh here we go . 😁 I can remember shiny football club badges , some ivory coloured footballers heads , Tony the tiger stickers and that's about it but there were many more I'm sure . Who can remember any more ?

We collected some coins to commemorate flight & space travel, you would press it into a cardboard display holder.

Still got it somewhere in the loft.

This would have been early 70s iirc.

It was in a car, a Toyota Avensis. Before I retired last December I was a private hire driver based at Manchester Airport and we had plenty of long runs all over the country. I thought I'd try it out, and it didn't make a bean of difference to the MPG during the month I tried it. Like I said, that was 3,000 miles or so.

The one factor that made the biggest difference I noticed though was air temperature. I always had better MPG figures in the summer. I wouldn't have thought 20 degrees difference in air temperature would have such a significant affect, but it did. It's hard to understand when the temperature inside the cylinder is so high, but it was the same every year, though I would add diesel engines were less affected than petrol engines, but the mpg figures always deteriorated in the winter.

Cold air is more dense so you get a bit more in, more air more fuel, although modern engines are pretty good at leveling it out, winter time you have heaters on demister wipers lights on more it all knocks mpg

In our Toyota is didn't make any discernable difference, but our Vauxhall certainly does get better mpg using super unleaded. You can see it on the range display which was borne out by manual calculation after refilling.

It just depends on the engine management system.

Cars will usually do better mpg in warmer weather due to less load caused by heaters, lights, wipers etc.

Yes my himalayan was great on the fuel

But summer there was a noticeable difference on fuel consumption!

Yes my himalayan was great on the fuel

But summer there was a noticeable difference on fuel consumption!

The increase in mpg during summer is (mainly) due to the reduced air density the car/bike is pushing through, not the temperature of the air entering the engine.

I used super duper diesel in the car for a year so ~12k miles with no significant increase in performance or mileage.

We collected some coins to commemorate flight & space travel, you would press it into a cardboard display holder.

B4056AA7-67D0-4611-ADF8-9435203200EF.thumb.jpeg.01c44fe1ea6c82cad21077a4b32ded8d.jpeg44E8E7AB-7894-4CD9-ADCA-3D2EAAFDBBFC.thumb.jpeg.42367149088113cc58a2e78857b27f3f.jpeg

I know it’s sad.

B4056AA7-67D0-4611-ADF8-9435203200EF.jpeg44E8E7AB-7894-4CD9-ADCA-3D2EAAFDBBFC.jpeg

I know it’s sad.

That's it :thumb:

When I was at school I used to work in a petrol station on the pumps during the evening's. One ill conceived promotion was to offer a stamp towards a set of tumblers every time someone bought petrol. The daft bit was that they didn't say how much petrol the customer had to buy in order to qualify.

So this guy and his wife used to drive in, ask for 50p of fuel. Drive round the block and come back for another 50p, and so on and so on and so on. I must have served them ten times on the trot some evenings.

The tumblers were crap of course, but they were "free".

Back then petrol was 76p a gallon. Two, three and four star, and we mixed two stroke with a pump and offered a squirt of redex from a can on top of the counter.

And the owner had rewired the place himself, which wasn't helped by the fact he was colour blind.