Why do they do it?

Jevi

The boy has decided to sell his bike so I put it on the local gumtree site, priced it at £600 with a view to getting knocked down to a price he could accept and got some interest. First guy offers half the asking price and if course got turned down but came back with an offer of £50 under the asking price if we got it mot'd.

Another guy offered £400 but since we had an offer just under the asking price I thought we would mot it and see how it panned out with the first guy - nothing!

In the mean time after discussions with the boy we decided to go with the second offer. Bike now mot'd so guy texts he'll contact me next day to arrange collection, great I think that's everything sorted.

Nothing, total waste of time. I mean if you're not really interested why bother?

The boy has decided to sell his bike so I put it on the local gumtree site, priced it at £600 with a view to getting knocked down to a price he could accept and got some interest. First guy offers half the asking price and if course got turned down but came back with an offer of £50 under the asking price if we got it mot'd.

Another guy offered £400 but since we had an offer just under the asking price I thought we would mot it and see how it panned out with the first guy - nothing!

In the mean time after discussions with the boy we decided to go with the second offer. Bike now mot'd so guy texts he'll contact me next day to arrange collection, great I think that's everything sorted.

Nothing, total waste of time. I mean if you're not really interested why bother?

Oh , I had two years of this bollox when I tried to sell my GSXR. I had lonely old blokes who wanted to talk about their own bikes . Nigerian scammers working as ships stewards in mid Atlantic who would pay by PayPal and send a van round etc . Mostly it was just lying ar*eholes who kept making appointments to view or even collect it then they couldn't be contacted when the time came and went. I lost count of the evenings and even whole weekends I wasted staying in waiting for these utter w**kers to fail to turn up . I documented some of this in my thread " Selling my bike " ( I think )

Edited by fastbob

It's the perils of the internet. Dreamers and time wasters can look at things and make appointments, but when it comes actually doing anything they rarely show up. I won't sell any kind of vehicle via websites now.

It happens with work as well. I know that over 90% of email enquiries or messages via our website will be dead ends. If someone actually picks up the phone and speaks to me then the follow through rate is much higher.

Totally frustrating but sadly that's how people are these days. If I ever manage to catch up with someone who missed their appointment they just say they changed their minds, no awareness that they've wasted my time. They are happy in the view that the world revolves around them and then alone.

When I was in the Private Sector, suppliers would routinely promise to phone me back in five minutes. I would wait for six minutes and phone them . In many cases they were either at lunch or were reported to have gone home . In the end I just came to accept it as the sloppy disfunctional way that things are done in the UK but it was still hugely frustrating .

Yep I had an office for my bike (listed at £1750) within 20 mins of listing it, for £1000. Also superbikeshop rang to offer a derisory sum. Also had the scammers.

Percevier as eventually I got a reasonable offer from a fella who was genuinely very excited.

I sold my motorhome on Autotrader I think it gets less time wasters, but it's not cheap. A lot of tyre kickers and time wasters on Gumtree and Ebay.

I advertised on both, only superbike factory contacted me via autotrader. All other interest came from gumtree.

I think this is why people end up hoarding, people would rather keep their stuff than let it go for stupid money :cheers:

+1 to that - i still have bikes that I have not ridden in 15 years :cry:

I think this is why people end up hoarding, people would rather keep their stuff than let it go for stupid money :cheers:

Do you want to sell any of them ?

He left one of them in his mates garden but the nob ended up giving it away. :lol:

He left one of them in his mates garden but the nob ended up giving it away. :lol:

Eh? Oh yeah ! Well remembered . The Aprilia in the blackberry bush . 😁