Test rides and recommended garages

Juls

Can anyone recommend good garages to buy my first bike from, can be used. (Newcastle and surrounding area) Sold my 125 and now after my first bike, I have no idea what to get and have been looking at the royal enfields ( but as a woman felt a bit high). Need to make Sure I get the right first bike .... so most garages to test drives and do I need to ring to arrange ?

Thanks Julie

you will struggle to find any dealer prepared to let you test ride a bike with a brand new full license as their insurance will not allow it. You may be lucky, but somehow I doubt it.

Your best bet is to avoid Enfields at this point. go for either a Japanese, British or German bike. as your very first and maybe look to change it in a year or twos time. once you have some NCB and have had a full license for a full year.. then they will take a very different attitude to letting you test.

spend some time visiting dealerships and sit on as many different bikes that appeal to you as possible. bikes that you can flat foot are the best bet for a brand new rider. (in my opinion)

if you want a bike with classic looks.. then look closely at Triumph.

Thanks guys I really love the classic look of the triumph but thought maybe too powerful ?

Funny Re the Harley sportster as I had go in to the Harley dealership with my instructor after I passed my test and saw one in blue which caught my eye. I ll have another look. Also considering Honda nc750.

Thank you 😊

Guest Richzx6r

M n s on west Road, Ian Bell Bedlington, Tom conway Langley Moor.

Where bouts you live (ish}

Tom Conway is where I got mine n hes a twat to get a test ride from as he says hes ridden the bike and knows it's fine so doesn't see why a prospective buyer should get a test ride

Thanks guys I really love the classic look of the triumph but thought maybe too powerful ?

Funny Re the Harley sportster as I had go in to the Harley dealership with my instructor after I passed my test and saw one in blue which caught my eye. I ll have another look. Also considering Honda nc750.

Thank you 😊

Here you go. The 883 Super Low might be a good place to start. This is a 2011 bike but knowing Harley Davidson nothing much will have changed since then.http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/exclusive_review_new_2011_sportster_883l_superlow.aspx

Thanks I have been to M & s and fell in love with the Ducati scrambler on Monday 🙈 I ll check out bells and Conway I’m local and drive so not an issue.

This should be the easy part choosing a bike but difficult to know how Something handles when you can’t test ride.But I understand their rationale why 😉

A Harley Davidson Sportster would also make an ideal bike for a lady rider .

Richzx6r , I'm disappointed mate . That one was a gift for you . 🎁 😀😀

If you come south of the river, Ultimate Moto (Boldon) and David Sykes (Peterlee) were pretty helpful for me.

Good bikes in too.

I didn't even ask for a test ride (as I am so new, and not done full license). But they were so accommodating

I felt they would probably allow it, if showing confidence.

*Yes I know sales people WILL be friendly, but i'd already explained i'm not buying and just looking etc. didn't

want to waste their time. But still helpful with advice.

Edited by peatear

you will struggle to find any dealer prepared to let you test ride a bike with a brand new full license as their insurance will not allow it.

Is that a northern thing? Cos in Sussex my 2 friends and I all passed within the last year or two and the dealers were thrusting keys into our hands for a test ride before we even sent our licences off to be upgraded - just a pass cert for proof.

you will struggle to find any dealer prepared to let you test ride a bike with a brand new full license as their insurance will not allow it.

Is that a northern thing? Cos in Sussex my 2 friends and I all passed within the last year or two and the dealers were thrusting keys into our hands for a test ride before we even sent our licences off to be upgraded - just a pass cert for proof.

No, it seems to be an insurance thing. And something Ive seen mentioned over and over again on this forum and elsewhere. people who have newly passed being refused a test ride because they have zero NCB.

Now, it could also be an age thing.. that some insurers have a minimum cut-off point. or a value thing. or a power thing. or a "well you look far too dodgy" thing. It could be that some dealerships have a different arrangement.

There could also be a difference between main dealers and independents. individual policy on test rides. after all someone has to pay for the bikes and their insurance.

All sorts of reasons for refusal. or if not refusal.. a massive 'deposit'. I have heard of people having to put their credit card on the scanner so £1000 is held in limbo until the bike returns unharmed. If you dont have £1000 in available credit on a card.. thats as good as a refusal. the result is the same. Maybe a sense of embarrassment meant the story was changed a little. (It happens)

I have never had a proper road test.. every bike I have bought was as a result of having an example of it for a day as a 'courtesy bike'. And that is why... I stayed with just two makers for so long. Triumph from 1982-1997 and BMW 1997-2018.

you will struggle to find any dealer prepared to let you test ride a bike with a brand new full license as their insurance will not allow it. You may be lucky, but somehow I doubt it.

Certainly not the case when I was test riding big bikes 2 summers ago. BMW's insurance states one of their guys had to come out with me, but all the rest were perfectly happy to throw me the keys and suggest test routes too me.

The Ducati scrambler is a good call for a fellow shortie. I tested one a few months ago (a 15 plate full throttle) and it fitted me well. (I'm 5'4 with 28" inseam…)

I had no issues getting test rides. I hadnt even got my license back either (just showed my pass certificates). Woburn triumph (too far for you, I know) even put me on a brand new RS.

If they think you are serious then they will let you ride. Even independent garages were happy to let me test.

No, it seems to be an insurance thing. And something Ive seen mentioned over and over again on this forum and elsewhere. people who have newly passed being refused a test ride because they have zero NCB.

Now, it could also be an age thing.. that some insurers have a minimum cut-off point. or a value thing. or a power thing. or a "well you look far too dodgy" thing. It could be that some dealerships have a different arrangement.

There could also be a difference between main dealers and independents. individual policy on test rides. after all someone has to pay for the bikes and their insurance.

All sorts of reasons for refusal. or if not refusal.. a massive 'deposit'. I have heard of people having to put their credit card on the scanner so £1000 is held in limbo until the bike returns unharmed. If you dont have £1000 in available credit on a card.. thats as good as a refusal. the result is the same. Maybe a sense of embarrassment meant the story was changed a little. (It happens)

I have never had a proper road test.. every bike I have bought was as a result of having an example of it for a day as a 'courtesy bike'. And that is why... I stayed with just two makers for so long. Triumph from 1982-1997 and BMW 1997-2018.

I've signed big damage waivers for ducatis I've test ridden (p&h motors Crawley) - like 3k I think - but they never took a scan before.

I went to triumph Washington to try a daytona. They didn't have one and utterly insisted I try a street triple even though I said I didn't wanna buy one. Enjoyed the free ride though.

Harley Guildford were totally cool about me taking a fastbob out.

My local mv Agusta dealer in Worthing - alfs-gave me an f3 for 2 hours to hammer. No probs when I didn't like it.

None asked how long I've had my licence or how many years ncb and like I say my mates both test rode on the day they passed with their cert only.

Dealers must have blanket cover test ride insurance - nothing specific to an individual.

Just my experience.

Thanks I have been to M & s and fell in love with the Ducati scrambler on Monday 🙈 I ll check out bells and Conway I’m local and drive so not an issue.

This should be the easy part choosing a bike but difficult to know how Something handles when you can’t test ride.But I understand their rationale why 😉

I had a Ducati scrambler as a loan bike to get home on last year while mine was in for some recalls, it’s a very different style of bike to mine but have to say I really liked it, looks cool, and was really comfortable to ride, think one would make an ideal first bigger bike for someone to be honest.

I can’t really help on the seat height discussion though as I’m 6’1”, also had a Ducati Monster while it was in for more recalls this year and that was really nice too.