2007 Yamaha YBR 125

RedNax

Just bought myself a 2007 YBR 125 last week, done a few hundred miles on it already to get a feel for it as it's my first ever bike. On a flat road I can just about get it to 50mph, downhill 60 if I'm lucky. I can't afford to get a different bike and I don't know anything about mechanics but u want more speed. I'd like to be able to get to 60 on a flat road at least.. How can I improve it? It's in mint condition and has low miles so I don't know why it's not as fast as it should be.

Why do you want more speed. My advice would be to get some experience first, learn to ride, top end speed isn't the be all end all. If you ride better and more importantly safer then journey times will be reduced. Your overall speed through bends will be quicker. Moving from a 125 to a CBR 600 hasn't decreased my commute to work by any significant amount.

Dave

Get out when it is quiet on roads you know and take your time. Even go somewhere you can practise slow riding (handy for traffic). Get yourself a couple of lessons booked they can teach you the basics. Even on a big bike you're exposed and if you haven't got any road experience driving it makes it worse. Main thing is position where you should be on the road for a given circumstance. You can't give drivers an opportunity to do something stupid that will put you at risk. Start off with short rides then build it up. 50 on a 125 is ample 60 can be scary as it will lurch over bumps etc. Technique is the key, get in good habits before going for speed.

Dave

Have you had the speedo calibrated, there is a good chance that the sprockets have been changed, and the speedo will not give a true reading of your actual speed :thumb:

Have you had the speedo calibrated, there is a good chance that the sprockets have been changed, and the speedo will not give a true reading of your actual speed :thumb:

Isn't the Speedo connected to the front wheel and worked off revolutions ?

Isn't the Speedo connected to the front wheel and worked off revolutions ?

Yup, had a bit of brain malfunction, was thinking how a car's one is connected through gearbox :bang:

still worth checking the sprockets though, could well have been changed and geared down for better low gear response, and sacrificed some of the top end speed :cheers:

i can get up to 70 (indicated) on flat on my cb125f but my 200 pound bud has trouble maintaining above 60 (hes 6'4)

honestly the best mod for these bikes is to chop your legs short or lose weight :D

Edited by potatobroxd