Automatic to geared?

JustpassedCBT

Hi all im jonathan from sheffield I passed my CBT on a automatic moped a few months ago but now I've got use to the bike I would really like to ride a 125cc geared bike. Obviously legally I'm aloud to ride a geared bike at the moment however I have never ridden one. I can't really afford to buy a second bike which is geared to learn on or sell my current moped for a bike as I need it for work. So just looking for some advice really. Should I pay for lessons? Or or do my CBT again but on a geared bike? Any advice or help would be great

Hi Jonathan!

CBT on a geared bike would be your easiest route as it's just the generic "geared 125cc package" every place does. Just bear in mind you might spend some of the day re-hashing things you already know (especially if it's a group rather than 1-2-1). There's also refresher courses which you might want to enquire about.

In these situations I would always advise to drop your preferred instructor/school an email before booking and explain your position. Whilst not always, they often can change things around to help you out and get something slightly more tailored (such as throw you in a group of people re-taking their CBT, so it's more bike time and less classroom time). Also consider looking for 1-2-1 instructors, they essentially just charge you for a day of their time and you can do whatever you like with that time.

Take some lessons or another CBT to get used to a geared bike, it’s most likely going to be the clutch control while pulling away or manoeuvreing slowly that will take some getting used to, normal gear changes up or down whilst moving already are pretty straightforward.

Can you drive a car?, if so concept and feel is similar with the clutch just you’re using your hand instead of your foot and it is a bit more sensitive, plus on a bike you want some clutch slip, in a car you most definitely don’t.

I got my CBT on scooter!

Decided I wasnt completely shite so i booked to basically do the same thing on a geared bike (but obvs no certificate at the end because you already have it). It WAS harder at firest, but got my own 125 and just practiced in the evening when it was quieter on the roads and I got better each time :)