RTA witnessed 09/08/2019 @ 7:05am...

Troy

I experienced a motorcycle crash. It wasn’t me thankfully, however it was another rider who had overtaken me and it was just seconds later I was coming to stop. As I moved over in the road to get a look at what was happening I saw that rider laying on the floor and his bike about another 10 cars away from him.

I and some others got out of their vehicles to try and help. The rider was in a very bad way. I myself had to physically cut off his helmet and his backpack and under the direction of paramedics on the phone, they told us to flip him over on his back. I found a pulse and had hope he was going to make it. But I was still doubtful when I saw the blood running out of his ears and jelly-like from his nose. Then to make it worse, with each chest compression given you felt his ribs crunch and crumble....

Paramedics arrived and took over. After 15 minutes of trying... they gave up and he died right there on the scene. They explained to us that he had heavy bleeding internally which was rushing to his head and filling his chest which meant that blood wasn’t flowing to any other parts of the body. There was nothing more they could do.

My heart sunk as you would expect. What made this whole situation worse was that I had searched through his backpack for some I.D. and I came across his phone which was locked with a passcode... which also had a screensaver on it of two children, no older than 8. It was too close to home for me having two kids, one who is 6 and the other who is 3.

I’m thinking of seeing a doctor soon as Sheena (my wife) thinks I’m suffering with PTSD. I crumbled when I came home, just all the adrenaline and drama. My hands were dried in his blood which I had to wash off... it was a bad time. I’m still reliving every moment today.

Not sure why I’m sharing this with the forum. Part of me feels the world should know what happened. But I must be honest, it does help me speaking about it to others even if that is in person or on the internet.

Edited by Troy

Thoughts are with you, when death and mortality are laid out in front of you like that it's going to be a shock, everyone deals with these things differently, take whatever advice you can get and deal with it the best you can, there is no easy answer for you.

That sounds a horrific thing to deal with, Having never faced anything like that myself I have no clue how hard it must be to go through.

I would suggest maybe try to get some bereavement counselling to help you through it.

RIP to the poor lad on the bike.

I'm sure that everyone's sympathy goes out to the family of the victim but also my thoughts of admiration and encouragement go out to yourself . I feel honoured that you chose to share your experience with the forum and I hope that doing so will help with your healing process .

That kind of experience never leaves you. As you well know it changes you and when that happens we need advice and support coming to terms with that changed reality. As others have said, don't hesitate to seek advice. The sooner you start to get to grips with it the better.

The most important thing I can say is that come the future when you think you're not handling it well, or it just keeps coming back, remember this.... it's normal, it's natural and it's healthy.

A lot of people are more scared that they're the only ones not coping than they are of the initial experience. Don't let that happen to you. Remember that the aftermath is a normal human reaction and accept that you're just being human.

No man is an island.

Long time reader but seldom poster here..

As a paramedic and rider myself I know how these things can "hit home"...

It sounded like you did an exceptional job under horrendous circumstances, and you should hold close the fact that you gave this poor guy the best chance possible.

Like others have said, keep talking to people and make an appointment to see your GP asap..

None of us are robots and we all need help sometimes.

Take care

Paul

Dont hide it hold it in let it out tell everyone don't feel ashamed to cry or get upset its how the mind heals . The guy died doing what he like riding his bike . . Its life . Well done on stopping and helping as I done a biker down course and they said the amount of ppl who dont stop or if they do stop they film it rather than call 999 so for you to get stuck in well done take it with you you did your best . . Good luck on the future

My thoughts goes out to you [mention]Troy[/mention]. You did a very brave thing and speaking about it is just your form of dealing with that event.

As others have said before me, I wish you all the best in your recovery. Just remember you being there and trying to help the guy before the emergency services arrived would have meant more than anything to the guy's family, I'm sure they would be eternally grateful to you for that; It's certainly what we here all hope if we were ever in that man's position to have someone there to help us.

I saw some bad things back in the 70's........and the guys were close friends of mine.

The experiences do stay with you.......but you can't let it consume you.

Give it time and see how you feel.

Guest Richzx6r

As said troy its gna stay with you but at least you can sleep easy knowing you did something to try to help the guy while waiting for the emergency services to arrive, as has been said we are all here if you need someone to talk to.

Terrible thing to witness, my heart goes out to you, the rider and his family. As stated contact your GP or your local Ambulance service trust, they should be able to offer a debrief of what happened, it'll go a long way in helping you get your head around the whole experience.

This is a really hard thing to deal with on your own. As has been suggested, get some counseling, speak to your gp. It may help to track down the paramedics on scene, they may be willing to speak about it with you.

A few years back I had to stand by helplessly watching a bike racer die in front of me - paramedics worked bloody hard to revive him trackside for a half hour before scooping him off to the med center/hospital (not sure which). I had to "keep it together" as I had trainees with me, and never got to properly debrief....I now wish I had!!

Different to your situation I know, but similar enough to know that you can't resolve all the thoughts and emotions that go with it by yourself. Please get some help.

And hats off to you for trying to help the guy - most people would panic n freeze in that situation. Well done sir !

Horrendous thing to deal with & respect to you for stepping up to help the rider, R.I.P. The Police are appealing for witnesses & it might help you to talk about it with them aswell.

"The circumstances are being fully investigated and so we would appreciate hearing from anyone who witnessed the collision, who may have dash-cam footage, or who noticed either vehicle being driven shortly before the collision occurred to get in touch."

Anyone able to help is asked to contact Sussex police online, by emailing [email protected] or by phoning 101, quoting Operation Account."

As others have suggested at the very least go see your GP.

First of all, massive thank you, and huge respect to you for doing all you could to help. If it wasn't so serious you could have had a huge impact on saving someone's life in the golden hour. Unfortunate its sad that the injuries were just too great for him to pull through, but know your effects were amazing and you did exactly right.

I also recommend getting to see a trauma counsellor. This is very important. I used to be in the fire service, and the things we went to were horrific, but back then no one ever did get help, just presumed we were too manly and heroic to need it and we all just got on with it.

Well, 15 years later I still can not get out of my head a certain RTA I went to months before having to quit. Having someone to talk to is important and it will help no end!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to resurface an old thread... I came across this video recently and felt it was relevant to apply it to this topic.

I know the video is set in another part of the world, but it had some good points to take on board. I don’t think it would of changed much in the situation I was in, but someone else may find it useful.

I experienced a motorcycle crash. It wasn’t me thankfully, however it was another rider who had overtaken me and it was just seconds later I was coming to stop. As I moved over in the road to get a look at what was happening I saw that rider laying on the floor and his bike about another 10 cars away from him.

I and some others got out of their vehicles to try and help. The rider was in a very bad way. I myself had to physically cut off his helmet and his backpack and under the direction of paramedics on the phone, they told us to flip him over on his back. I found a pulse and had hope he was going to make it. But I was still doubtful when I saw the blood running out of his ears and jelly-like from his nose. Then to make it worse, with each chest compression given you felt his ribs crunch and crumble....

Paramedics arrived and took over. After 15 minutes of trying... they gave up and he died right there on the scene. They explained to us that he had heavy bleeding internally which was rushing to his head and filling his chest which meant that blood wasn’t flowing to any other parts of the body. There was nothing more they could do.

My heart sunk as you would expect. What made this whole situation worse was that I had searched through his backpack for some I.D. and I came across his phone which was locked with a passcode... which also had a screensaver on it of two children, no older than 8. It was too close to home for me having two kids, one who is 6 and the other who is 3.

I’m thinking of seeing a doctor soon as Sheena (my wife) thinks I’m suffering with PTSD. I crumbled when I came home, just all the adrenaline and drama. My hands were dried in his blood which I had to wash off... it was a bad time. I’m still reliving every moment today.

Not sure why I’m sharing this with the forum. Part of me feels the world should know what happened. But I must be honest, it does help me speaking about it to others even if that is in person or on the internet.

How awful. I witnessed a young lad commiting suiced off a motorway bridge. I didnt see him jump but i drove past him and he was alive at that point and looking directly at me. I can still see him but it does get easier and the image isnt as sharp. Details are diminishing.

You did everything you could. Its all we can do for each other. You have to get on and live your life, afterall we got first hand experience of how quickly it can be taken from us.

Give yourself a break. Lots of people would not have stopped to help. Sending love and hugs your way.

Guest Richzx6r

Sorry to resurface an old thread... I came across this video recently and felt it was relevant to apply it to this topic.

I know the video is set in another part of the world, but it had some good points to take on board. I don’t think it would of changed much in the situation I was in, but someone else may find it useful.

Hows things going now some time has past since that day?

Hope your coping well mate