Lack of TV commercials

dynax

Something clicked with me the other day and it was something that i wasn't actually aware of and that is the non existant tv ad's for bikes, i do rememember back in the 80's there used to be commercials but why not today, surely it must make sense to promote a more cost effective means of transport and highlight the many benefits of biking, any thoughts good or bad :thumb:

I can't see or heard of any legal or moral reason why bikes shouldn't have ads. Perhaps they sell well enough without spending tons of money advertising them. I can only guess that the motorcycle industry is so switched on, it knows where and how to target specific markets for their products. Just look at dealerships for a start. Not targeting a mass audience to only capture a minute percentage makes economical sense.

It's because the TV add are fecking shite NO ONE BUYS ANYTHING THATS ADVERTISED ON TV .. come on whi seen some shite TV add and thought I'll buy that or look DFS is having a sale call this number and get your glasses sent to you low fat pi$$ when you eat it you get it on your face ooo must buy that

No man buys crap off TV ads that's why we want a bike scratch our balls and go to the bike showroom..

There's more cost effective ways to reach an audience these days via the Internet.

Go back 30 or 40 years and the only options were TV, commercial radio, and bike publications.

Look at it now.......Google, Facebook etc tracks your activity so they can keep delivering their advertisers' adverts that match your preferences and interests wherever you are and on whatever device you use.

With the amount of car adverts it must make economic sense for the manufacturers to do it, it would be interesting to know the percentage of sales that were generated from a tv advert, but going back to bikes, unless you are actively searching or interested in some way you won't know what bikes are around or in production waiting to be unveiled etc, which means the target audience is limited to those already involved,there may well be a huge potential of untapped sales waiting in the wings that are not in the loop, but could be once an interest has been revealed :cheers:

I rarely watch TV and adverts annoy me but from what I recall of them they always feature young, slim, healthy, attractive people.

Whereas, present company excepted of course, most bikers tend to be old, rotund and scary. Not sure TV adverts would work to sell motorbikes.

I rarely watch TV and adverts annoy me but from what I recall of them they always feature young, slim, healthy, attractive people.

Whereas, present company excepted of course, most bikers tend to be old, rotund and scary. Not sure TV adverts would work to sell motorbikes.

You're going to have to show us a photo of you to prove this! :wink:

Also you need to hold today's paper too!