Yam MT10

manxie49

10k on mine - love it. Small tank though - reserve kicks in at 80 miles, 100 to bingo. And seat is hard - comfort seat a deffo requirement for touring. So I'm sure there are better tourers. I don't have a screen or anything but I did 609 miles to Wales in 2 days and, seat aside, all was well. 20190818_100233.thumb.jpg.ef5db70f1d6619ae2b5b227d8e37ad16.jpg

It's quite fast too.

10k on mine - love it. Small tank though - reserve kicks in at 80 miles, 100 to bingo. And seat is hard - comfort seat a deffo requirement for touring. So I'm sure there are better tourers. I don't have a screen or anything but I did 609 miles to Wales in 2 days and, seat aside, all was well. 20190818_100233.jpg

It's quite fast too.

Hows the engine heat during summer? Is it cooler than the inline 4s?

10k on mine - love it. Small tank though - reserve kicks in at 80 miles, 100 to bingo. And seat is hard - comfort seat a deffo requirement for touring. So I'm sure there are better tourers. I don't have a screen or anything but I did 609 miles to Wales in 2 days and, seat aside, all was well. 20190818_100233.jpg

It's quite fast too.

Hows the engine heat during summer? Is it cooler than the inline 4s?

I've never noticed the heat despite the thermometer reading over 105 degrees I think so it's fair to say I don't think it's a concern one bit. Hasn't been mentioned in the mt10 forum by anyone else that I've seen. Haven't ridden may i4s but it's sure cooler that the ducati V4, 959 and monster 1200! They're like furnaces. Never had a single problem with the bike.

Oh yeah other concerns are the brakes - you might wanna swap the pads with something else - £50-90 quid upgrade will transform the slightly limp limp stopping power considerably, apparently (deffo my next mod). And try a rear shock setup too - some swap the unit out with a £300 nitron jobbie which they say is night and day. I haven't even dialled mine in yet and it is a bit bumpy - I haven't owned any other bikes though so don't have much experience.

I'm only telling you the not so great stuff here BTW - in reality I'd love to buy another bike just because, and have test ridden quite a few but nothing compares to the brutal power available in all gears at all rpms, and the engine note of this thing. Oh speaking of which the stock exhaust is very quiet! Which is fine by me. Straight through pipe sorts that more than a new can apparently as most of the deadening is in the middle of the pipe.

It's quite fast too.

Cheers, bike looks brilliant! Really suits the black, small tank and poor fuel consumption seems to be the most common gripe, I've been looking at the MT10 Tourer, comes with the better seat, small screen and a couple of other bits, IMHO I can't see it being worse than my trip to Cornwall on a 900RRW Fireblade, that was hard going, especially with a ruck sack on! Spoke briefly with a guy a few days ago who had one and he loved it, just ridden over from Leicester. What I want is a bike I can use daily plus has the power for two up, loaded and down the motorway, seems to fit the bill.

Regarding the exhaust, the guy I spoke with the other day had a slip on Akrapovich, sounded lovely, really nice engine note.

Edited by manxie49

My current S10 Isn't good for heat, fan seems to be running most of the time around town during the summer, sounds like a jet! Makes me beg the question how long it will last before replacement is needed.

My current S10 Isn't good for heat, fan seems to be running most of the time around town during the summer, sounds like a jet! Makes me beg the question how long it will last before replacement is needed.

The fan only kicks in when you kill the ignition, I think (never noticed it any other time). Very loud on a hot day. But power off and it stops of course so its just not a concern.

I keep threatening to go and test ride an mt10! :lol:

I don't really think my knees would allow it but I want 1 :lol:

You should give it a go, the guy I was chatting to the other day was a big bloke, at least 6'4", he said he suffers with his back and found the MT10 quite comfortable and doesn't cause him any issues, I was keen to find out a bit about the comfort side of things as I suffer intermittently with back problems that resulted from an injury years ago, I'm looking forward to getting my paws on one for a test ride.

You should give it a go, the guy I was chatting to the other day was a big bloke, at least 6'4", he said he suffers with his back and found the MT10 quite comfortable and doesn't cause him any issues, I was keen to find out a bit about the comfort side of things as I suffer intermittently with back problems that resulted from an injury years ago, I'm looking forward to getting my paws on one for a test ride.

Deffo test ride. Riding position is less aggressive than street triple - very upright. I'm 6'2

Deffo test ride. Riding position is less aggressive than street triple - very upright. I'm 6'2

Same here, I'm 6'2" and it looks pretty ok for the taller rider, nowhere near as cramped as my old blade

Going for a test ride on Thursday .... Looking forward to see what's it like on the road

Exciting! Let us know.

Will do, hope we get decent weather!! Looking forward to getting my paws on it for a couple of hours, Thursday isn't a race day so hoping to get a couple of laps in, had a sit on it to make sure I was comfortable, I'm 6'2" so wanted to check, it feels perfect sat on it though, feels like a good riding position and feels quite natural with plenty of room, will let you know how I get on :thumb:

Going for a test ride on Thursday .... Looking forward to see what's it like on the road

Exciting! Let us know.

Will do, hope we get decent weather!! Looking forward to getting my paws on it for a couple of hours, Thursday isn't a race day so hoping to get a couple of laps in, had a sit on it to make sure I was comfortable, I'm 6'2" so wanted to check, it feels perfect sat on it though, feels like a good riding position and feels quite natural with plenty of room, will let you know how I get on :thumb:

Race day/laps - eh?!

Exciting! Let us know.

Race day/laps - eh?!

Its currently the festival of motorcycling over here, (MGP), roads close for racing, roads should be open all day tomorrow so I can do a lap of the course

[attachment=0]TT-COURSE.jpg[/attachment]

Test rode the MT10 Today .... Still smiling :D What an awesome bike. The first thing I noticed when I pulled away was that it felt more like a 600, it was light, nimble and very responsive. At 6'2" I didn't feel cramped at all, it felt like quite a natural and comfortable riding position with plenty of room to spare, surprisingly it felt a lot easier on my back than my current bike which is a very sit upright position, I could see the seat, after a long ride, becoming uncomfortable so I think investment in a comfort seat would be a must for mid to long range. Around town the bike was well behaved and a pleasure to ride, I could see that it would be easy to live with for the daily commute through traffic. I didn't really get to stretch its legs that much, but on the one occasion I did get to open it up I found the acceleration was breath taking, power delivery was smooth and it seemed to pull effortlessly in all four of the six gears that I used, never got to use fifth or sixth, roads over here were closed for racing so it was quite busy. I've heard people say the brakes are to soft but IMHO I found them to be adequate, suspension was set at standard, and although a little on the soft side it was good, the softer suspension suited me and I quite liked the set up, alteration would obviously be required for two up riding but there seems to be plenty to play with in that department. I tried the quick shifter once, seemed to work as I'd expect with no chain slap, only tried it on the upshift as I wasn't sure if it could be used to down shift or not? The look of the bike is what I would call unique, it won't suit everyone, but I'm glad it wouldn't, what a crap world it would be if we all had similar tastes. One other groan that I seen on a web site was a couple of people say the riding position gave them wrist fatigue on longer runs, having owned a few sports and super sports bikes I would argue that this is probably due to rider confidence "the dreaded death grip" and the riders failure to relax and use their knees more than a fault of the bike.

All in all I loved the bike and have decided to trade in my S10 and purchase one, I feel that this is a bike I can easily live with on a day by day basis, it'll do my regular trips with mates to the Lakes and Scottish Borders, will easily hold its own on the motorways and dual carriageways but will provide and immense amount of fun through the twisties leaving me with a massive smile on my face, and to me, apart from the social side, that's what motorcycling is all about.

Thanks to Geofferz for his input, much appreciated :thumb: Rennie, go test ride one, you will love it!

Great stuff mate! I didn't like the looks initially - it's certainly not beautiful - but it is mean af and looks nothing like all the other single headlamp models out there. I utterly love it now. As for wrist cramp I can't see how it could possibly worse than every sports bike out there, and quite a few nakeds? Seating position is well up.

Quickshifter is up only! Any other questions, happy to help.

Good write up there manxie I didn't really like the look of the mt10 but its definitely something that has grown on me

Same here, didn't like the look of the front end, it has certainly grown on me over the past twelve months though, I couldn't believe what a pleasure it was to ride, really well behaved if you wanted it to be, but that said, you just knew if you twisted the throttle it would just take off.

I have had my 2018 MT10 just over a year now so here's my two bobs worth...

I'll start with the negatives.

100 mile tank range is very poor and probably my biggest gripe.

To think my 2007 R1 would regularly do 130 miles on the same sized tank just isn't right!

The seat is uncomfortable.I have changed for a comfort seat.

Getting the seat on and off is a real PITA.Very strange design.

Pegs are lows so if you track day you will need rear sets.

Suspension is ok after setting up but if your a heavyweight like me your gunna need stronger springs.

I have changed out the shock and will be getting new springs for the front soon.

People say the brakes are crap but I find them ok.

Now the positives.

Engine.If this doesn't rock your boat then maybe its time to get out the water...

Comfort.Low pegs mean plenty of leg room, even for me at 6 foot 2.riding position is fine, and there seems very little wind noise or buffeting for an unfaired bike.

It's very wheelie prone...

Handling and ride feel like a 600 to me, very enjoyable.

Overall i would say I think it's brilliant.

I don't know anything about the competition but have to say this bike makes me smile every time I ride it.

Completely bonkers!

Cheers.