First bike ideas

Thebikedude

Fingers crossed I have a licence soon enough and was looking at a good first bike for a no experience rider never riden anything but a bicycle .. hoping to do a 6 day instensive DAS.

So bikes that have caught my eye are :

Yamaha MT03 or MT 07 not sure how adviseable jumping on a 600 odd cc would be control wise or if they feel more stable to ride .. I don’t want to issue off buying a 125 for a while then selling just looking for a simple affair

The KTM DUKE 390 looks decent although some report issues with electrics .. has a nice tft dash

These has been chosen purely buy taste / looks as I really have no idea what’s what.

Be interested on your opinions 🙂

Hi and welcome..

Depending on your age? 24+? Then out of the 2 you mentioned I'd be more inclined towards the mt07.

You will probably soon grow out of the 03 in my opinion.

A lot would depend on what you want it for too? Comuting? Weekend toy? Touring?

Also maybe depends how big/heavy you are?

Lots of variables to think about.

If you are a bit worried about something too powerful to start with consider a cheap 2nd hand 500? Lots out there and will recover most of your outlay once you decide to move up to something bigger.

Paul

Hi and welcome..

Depending on your age? 24+? Then out of the 2 you mentioned I'd be more inclined towards the mt07.

You will probably soon grow out of the 03 in my opinion.

A lot would depend on what you want it for too? Comuting? Weekend toy? Touring?

Also maybe depends how big/heavy you are?

Lots of variables to think about.

If you are a bit worried about something too powerful to start with consider a cheap 2nd hand 500? Lots out there and will recover most of your outlay once you decide to move up to something bigger.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for he post and info.

A smidge over 24 approaching 40 now 🙂 .. 5”4 and about 11 stone. So something not too big and heavy would be nice and something I can be flat footed on.

That’s what I was thinking with the MT03 but too be fair it would suffice. My main use would be errands, occasionally commuting, fun (weekend toy) I have absolutely really little need for a bike it’s just would love to itch the scratch since 19 always wanting to ride then it got forgotten about on the back burner till now. As the kids get bigger might be nice to move away from cars too so laying the ground work I guess before I talk myself out of it.

Cheers

Matthew

These new generation Honda Rebels are worth a look . They just look so user friendly and they capture the stance of a cruiser without pretending to be a Harley. I really like them .

I’d say get what you want as long as you have some self control whilst developing your skills.

My first bike was a 600 and it was very docile below 6k so commuting and running errands posed no real risk. Many of the 600 sports bikes are also quite light which means it’s easy to manage them.

Out of them MT series I really enjoyed the MT09, lots of torque, fantastic motor although it can be a handful if you are ham fisted. .

Have you been into a dealership with a good range and just sat on various bikes? You really need to get your bum onto a bike to know what feels right.

Many bikes come with various riding modes so if you're worried about it being a handful see if there's something you like with a rain mode. That way you can get to grips with it without unleashing its full power. But you'll probably adapt to most midrange bikes pretty quickly.

You'll do your das on an mt07 or er6n most probably. From there you'll get an idea of their power and if you want more/less. That said until you get a few more miles under your belt you'll still likely not know what you want, or you'll change your mind. Going lightly used is a good way to not lose too much if you do wanna switch bikes after day 6 months. Some are happy pootling along with 40bhp between their legs, some aren't happy unless they're going hell for leather with the traction control screaming. A test ride will give you an idea.