Get a 125 or wait

Bubero

So i currently have a 50cc moped but am looking at getting the Yamaha yzf r125 next march when i turn 17

I was 100% deadest on getting one but some videos have made me question if i should just wait until i turn 19 to get a 500cc bike

I can get the money buy next march to get a brand new yamaha yzf r125 but im now not sure if it is going to be worth it, any advice ?

Buy a cheap second hand 125 and ride it until you're 19 then get a decent bigger bike. At the end of the day the 125 is only ever going to be a transition bike until you can get onto something bigger and you'll get bored of it quicker than you think and want something bigger, so why get anything other than a cheap one?

My two penneth would be get the 125. I'm in my late thirties and just spent 14 months on a 125 before doing my bike test and I now have a 600. the time on the 125 was ace and it was only because I started doing 10 miles of duel carriageway each morning and afternoon as part of my commute that made me want to change. It was enough for everything else. Plus the time on the bike was great experience as well as enjoyable.

• Like 1

Guest Richzx6r

I'd definitely recommend stepping up to the 125 but if you can don't buy new as you will end up losing alot of money I'd suggest going 2nd hand but decent nick

I'd definitely recommend stepping up to the 125 but if you can don't buy new as you will end up losing alot of money I'd suggest going 2nd hand but decent nick

Just out of curiosity i dont really know about how the price of bikes drop, new it would cost me around £4700 how much would i loose if i sold it after 2 years (assuming it is in almost perfect condition)

Just out of curiosity i dont really know about how the price of bikes drop, new it would cost me around £4700 how much would i loose if i sold it after 2 years (assuming it is in almost perfect condition)

A quick Auto trader search shows your chosen bike brand new at £4.5k and a two year old for around £3k so about that much.

Why don't you come and buy my CG125? It'll cost you way less than you'll lose in depreciation and in a couple of years you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it. :thumb:

A quick Auto trader search shows your chosen bike brand new at £4.5k and a two year old for around £3k so about that much.

Why don't you come and buy my CG125? It'll cost you way less than you'll lose in depreciation and in a couple of years you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it. :thumb:

I sold my MT-125 for what I bought it tbf

Everyone needs to have a CG125 at some point in their riding history. It's compulsory, like if you've never driven an original Mini then you've never really driven. Dead simple and totally reliable. Not sexy or particularly fast but it will never let you down. And easy to ride, good for parts, cheap to insure. What's not to like!

• 3 years later...

41 minutes ago, ollie200 said:

So I'm 16 at the moment and I'm not sure weather to get a 50cc or wait a few months until I'm 17 and get a 125cc as my main road to commute on is an a road that is mostly 50 to 60 mph so I'm not sure weather it is safe for a 50cc or not? Any advice?

I it's only a few months I would wait 

• Like 2