600cc A2 compliant restricted?

hussnainh8

Hi

Need some help guys.. I am 22 years old and held my CBT for 2 years with 2 years riding experience. Its time I get my theory and practical done so I can ride bigger bikes with the A2 licence however im just trying to find out which bike I can go for.

my problem is I am a midget (5'4). Currently I am riding a CBR125R 2006 which has a seat height of 30.6 inches. I have decided I want to upgrade to a 600cc but I have no idea which bikes have a low seat height.

Requirement:

Needs to be a sporty looking bike such as a super sport. No naked bikes please or cruisers.

Needs to have no more than 94bhp (Need to restrict it to 47bhp)

Ride height of 30.6 inches (Lets say 31inches)

Why not get an A2 compliant bike instead, save a whole load of hassle getting it restricted, and when you get your licence you will get to test ride them :thumb:

http://a2bikes.co.uk/

because after 2 years of riding on A2.. I will get bored and will want too pass the A licence and derestrict it.

You should seriously consider a Honda CB500R - its more bike than you might think it is

I have always wanted a super sport kind of bike.. Like the looks of them.. Cant see myself on naked bikes tbh?

Why not hold off sitting your bike test till after you turn 24? That way you can just sit mod1 & 2 and not need to worry about sitting the test again?

I'm not a tall guy either but why do you want a low seat bike? Do you plant both your feet on the ground? If not, then the height shouldn't really be an issue, I didn't really notice the difference in seat height between sitting on a CBR600 to a CBR125, it's more the weight that I noticed straight away. I didn't ride it or anything though, just sat on it to see what it felt like but my right foot never touches the ground, I have it resting on the foot peg at all times.

Not sure you know what a cb500R is :D

CBR500R-3-quarter-front-right-side-parked-racetrack-shot_1.png

Just checked google again, I see what you mean haha.. I think I was looking at a cb500r or f haha. I see now, looks like a nice bike and not a bad price for around £2000 but to be honest I wanted it to be a 600cc just so that when I do pass my A license, I only need to derestrict it when the time comes. It was a very good recommendation though so thank you.

Thanks.

Making a wild assed guess I don't think many sports bikes have a seat that low. Most low slung bikes you see in the road are cruisers or nakeds. Interesting to see what you come up with.

It just depends how low are they exactly.. Im just worried I might go to buy a bike only to find my feet dont reach the floor. What is the lowest seat height for a sports bike any way? Just want to know if I will manage with it. I could always tilt the bike a little but coming from a 125 and going to a 600, im just worried I dont drop it or something haha.

Thanks.

Why not hold off sitting your bike test till after you turn 24? That way you can just sit mod1 & 2 and not need to worry about sitting the test again?

I'm not a tall guy either but why do you want a low seat bike? Do you plant both your feet on the ground? If not, then the height shouldn't really be an issue, I didn't really notice the difference in seat height between sitting on a CBR600 to a CBR125, it's more the weight that I noticed straight away. I didn't ride it or anything though, just sat on it to see what it felt like but my right foot never touches the ground, I have it resting on the foot peg at all times.

Im not really worried about sitting the test again as I have heard its the same test just on a derestricted version. If I can pass the test ones then im sure I can pass it again.

I am only saying I want a low seat bike because I wouldnt want to drop the 5/600cc bike especially because it will be my first proper bike, I need to learn to handle it and if my feet did reach the floor, it would be a lot easier to handle rather than worrying im going to drop the bike etc. I was thinking to buy a 600cc, lets say its a cbr600 which has a seat height of 32.3 inches which in reality is 2 inches more than the cbr125 (30.6inches) and as you where saying, I could keep the right foot on the peg and the left foot can be flat footed with the bike tilted a little but im just worrying because I have never sat on a bigger bike and dont know what its going to be like. In case I am learning to ride it and I loose balance a little, I will have a hard time trying to stabilise the bike in the centre thats all.. Just worried about dropping it as thats the last thing I would want to do.

I guess going from a cbr125 with a seat height of 30.6inches to a cbr600 with a seat height of 32.3inches doesnt seem too bad. I get half of both feet on the ground with the cbr125 so I may be able to manage it with the right foot on the peg and the left foot flat? Guess I need to go and try some bikes out

Im not really worried about sitting the test again as I have heard its the same test just on a derestricted version. If I can pass the test ones then im sure I can pass it again.

I am only saying I want a low seat bike because I wouldnt want to drop the 5/600cc bike especially because it will be my first proper bike, I need to learn to handle it and if my feet did reach the floor, it would be a lot easier to handle rather than worrying im going to drop the bike etc. I was thinking to buy a 600cc, lets say its a cbr600 which has a seat height of 32.3 inches which in reality is 2 inches more than the cbr125 (30.6inches) and as you where saying, I could keep the right foot on the peg and the left foot can be flat footed with the bike tilted a little but im just worrying because I have never sat on a bigger bike and dont know what its going to be like. In case I am learning to ride it and I loose balance a little, I will have a hard time trying to stabilise the bike in the centre thats all.. Just worried about dropping it as thats the last thing I would want to do.

I guess going from a cbr125 with a seat height of 30.6inches to a cbr600 with a seat height of 32.3inches doesnt seem too bad. I get half of both feet on the ground with the cbr125 so I may be able to manage it with the right foot on the peg and the left foot flat? Guess I need to go and try some bikes out

Ah right, I'm sure you will be fine once you've sat on a bigger bike then. I'd had the same thought you had with the worry of dropping the bike and during my DAS training that went through my mind a lot, thankfully it had only happened to me once but it was my mistake for accidentally feathering the front brake whilst doing a slow control, it was also in the first 4hours of practice. My instructor made me pick the bike and the weight of it made me make sure to never do that again. I rode on a Suzuki SV650 (30.9inch) and my left foot is flat on the ground when stationary, right foot on peg. :thumb:

Ah right, I'm sure you will be fine once you've sat on a bigger bike then. I'd had the same thought you had with the worry of dropping the bike and during my DAS training that went through my mind a lot, thankfully it had only happened to me once but it was my mistake for accidentally feathering the front brake whilst doing a slow control, it was also in the first 4hours of practice. My instructor made me pick the bike and the weight of it made me make sure to never do that again. I rode on a Suzuki SV650 (30.9inch) and my left foot is flat on the ground when stationary, right foot on peg. :thumb:

What do you think to the Yamaha ER6F 2005-2008 650CC? By google it says the seat height for it is 790 mm (31.1inch)? Weight 182kg with ABS and 71.1bhp claimed. So I will be able to restrict it and drive it around on an a2 licence. Reckon I would be able to manage the bike being a 5ft 4 guy weighing around 85kg.

Thanks.

hi

went to see a sv650 2004 model today which was local to me. Bike itself had a new engine in it as it was cat c repaired due to falling on its left side. needed a new clutch lever and with hpi check, there was 27k miles on it but the odometer read 10k. All that but the guys had the bike up for £1400 and dropped it down to £650. Bargain for the price HOWEVER, when bringing the bike to the center, my right foot was on the pedal with my left foot tip toing on the floor. Couldnt really balance on it properly but the main problem was my arms where so short that when I just about reached the handlebars, the fuel tank was hitting me in the chest and my arms where pretty much locked!! Would have been a death trap for me to ride. I wonder what the length of the bike was as I need to find a bike that is short in length as well.

Not having much luck :( seriously gutted!

Been to see a sv650 today.. My god does the engine roar!!! i could get my right foot on the pedal but my left foot was tiptoing on the ground.. Not only that but I forgot being a sport bike, the handle bars where down below so when i went to reach for the bars, my chest was hitting the fuel tank!!! :( Guessing I need to find a sport bike with less length to it.

hi

went to see a sv650 2004 model today which was local to me. Bike itself had a new engine in it as it was cat c repaired due to falling on its left side. needed a new clutch lever and with hpi check, there was 27k miles on it but the odometer read 10k. All that but the guys had the bike up for £1400 and dropped it down to £650. Bargain for the price HOWEVER, when bringing the bike to the center, my right foot was on the pedal with my left foot tip toing on the floor. Couldnt really balance on it properly but the main problem was my arms where so short that when I just about reached the handlebars, the fuel tank was hitting me in the chest and my arms where pretty much locked!! Would have been a death trap for me to ride. I wonder what the length of the bike was as I need to find a bike that is short in length as well.

I would be wary about purchasing that bike especially if the odometer and hpi mileage is different, Cat C means there was structural damage on the bike itself so unless the seller is able to provide you a detailed list of the things repaired and the purchase history for all the replaced parts, I would stay clear of it as you never know if it was repaired correctly to put bike back on the road. The fact the seller was so willing to drop the price just to encourage you to buy it is setting off alarm bells. However that's just IMO.

Not sure how you will tackle the short handlebar issue as although the handlebars are clip-ons on most sportsbikes, they aren't really adjustable (as far as I'm aware) but I am prepared to be corrected by others who will know more. :)

Z900s are nice with the lowest seat height of the 900cc class.

With motorcycle boots I'm confident you can flatfoot the bike with ease + kawasaki sells the z900 restricted from factory

beautiful bike but completely out of my budget. Not really looking to spend more than £1500-£2000. Its not so much about the ride height only as I also need to worry about where the handlebars are..My arms where fully extended when I was reaching for the handlebars on the SV650 with my chest about 2cm away from the tank. The z900 handlebars do look a little more upright compared to the sv650 though but I cant justify spending over 7,000 on a bike :( Any other super sports made for short people?.. I would say ride height would need to be 785 to 800mm MAX depending on the saddle width of the bike and as for handle bar reach... They need to be closer to me. The SV650 handlebars where too far out.

thanks.

i know exactly what you mean when you have a budget for a bike, a lot of it is how many miles you ride a year and i have to say that over the past five years or so my motorcycle mileage has dropped like a divers lead boot. being self employed comes into it and i cant get out on my bike like i used to, i was thinking of another bike but is it really worth it as i struggle to get out on the one i already have anyway will see what happens in the coming months

hi

I would be wary about purchasing that bike especially if the odometer and hpi mileage is different, Cat C means there was structural damage on the bike itself so unless the seller is able to provide you a detailed list of the things repaired and the purchase history for all the replaced parts, I would stay clear of it as you never know if it was repaired correctly to put bike back on the road. The fact the seller was so willing to drop the price just to encourage you to buy it is setting off alarm bells. However that's just IMO.

Not sure how you will tackle the short handlebar issue as although the handlebars are clip-ons on most sportsbikes, they aren't really adjustable (as far as I'm aware) but I am prepared to be corrected by others who will know more. :)

Yes I mean if he went from £1400 to £650 and before I went there, did the hpi check and it was showing cat c, different mileage and color changes. When I got there, it was a different story😂 The matey tells me, heres the bike but I forgot to tell you we where joy riding a few weeks ago and ended up dropping the bike. As a result of that, it has no clutch lever or right mirror and the gear lever bracket broke. Other than that it needs a new tyre and it will pass the mot perfectly fine. I thought well while im here I can check if the bike fits me and to my suprise, the ride height was about 1.5 to 2 inches too long but what suprised me even more that i literally just reached the handlebars 😂 wouldnt be able to steer that bike.

hi

Yes I mean if he went from £1400 to £650 and before I went there, did the hpi check and it was showing cat c, different mileage and color changes. When I got there, it was a different story😂 The matey tells me, heres the bike but I forgot to tell you we where joy riding a few weeks ago and ended up dropping the bike. As a result of that, it has no clutch lever or right mirror and the gear lever bracket broke. Other than that it needs a new tyre and it will pass the mot perfectly fine. I thought well while im here I can check if the bike fits me and to my suprise, the ride height was about 1.5 to 2 inches too long but what suprised me even more that i literally just reached the handlebars 😂 wouldnt be able to steer that bike.

There is a high chance the registration plate has been swapped with another bike hence why everything on the bike is different, did you happen to take a note of the VIN number, it would at least tell you if the bike frame is at least the same as the seller claims. It definitely sounds very dodgy if he never mentioned anything about the colour change, mileage and stuff as usually that is the first thing you should mention to him when checking the bike. I always do a MOT check on the bike in question before meeting the seller and if they don't mention anything about what the service history records are like, I would simply walk away from the sale as if the seller wasn't even genuine with what is public knowledge info what chance have you got that they will tell you the stuff that isn't known.

There is a high chance the registration plate has been swapped with another bike hence why everything on the bike is different, did you happen to take a note of the VIN number, it would at least tell you if the bike frame is at least the same as the seller claims. It definitely sounds very dodgy if he never mentioned anything about the colour change, mileage and stuff as usually that is the first thing you should mention to him when checking the bike. I always do a MOT check on the bike in question before meeting the seller and if they don't mention anything about what the service history records are like, I would simply walk away from the sale as if the seller wasn't even genuine with what is public knowledge info what chance have you got that they will tell you the stuff that isn't known.

That is why I walked away. To be honest if my size was fine for the bike then I would have took it at a very cheap price, say £600 but I didnt fit so there was no point of buying the bike. Wouldnt be able to repair it and sell it for more because of all the bad history on the bike in the first place so there was no point getting the bike.

Thanks.